Bob Dylan......LEGEND

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis Presley

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
So, I was talking to my new avatar and he told me there isnt a good Bob Dylan appreciation thread anywhere on this board. So heres one for ya'll....my fave Dylan albums are

Blonde on Blonde
Highway 61 Revisted
Love and Theft
Blood on the tracks
The Freewheelin Bob Dylan
The Essential is good too.......

Lets pay tribute to the most influential solo artist of our time, besides that Hillbilly from Tenn of course......:wink:

Blood on the Tracks :heart:
I know this record inside out from obsessive playing when I was 15.

1. Tangled up in Blue :drool:
2. Simple Twist of Fate :yes:
3. You're a Big Girl Now :heart:
4. Idiot Wind
5. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go :heart:
6. Meet Me in the Morning
7. Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
8. If You See Her, Say Hello :heart:
9. Shelter from the Storm :yes:
10. Buckets of Rain

BOB DYLAN IS GOD. He is the most influential musician of our time and both a lyrical and musical genius. His best songs are unchallenged as the best songs ever written.

Best Albums would have to be

Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde on Blonde
Blood on the Tracks
Times Thay Are a Changin
Infidels

But live in '66 is probably the best album not to mention the first bootleg series and the MTV unplugged album.

WOW, Dylan, I could be here all night. He is my LEGEND and the man (people i know excluded) who has made most positive impact on my life. If i can make the sort of difference he has made to me to ONE person in my life then i will be a happy man. That is my goal in life.

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY :):):)

Despite all that You are about two miles ahead of Bob in the influence you have made to my life Meggie :) You have made me the happiest I have ever been :)

The missing Dylan album?

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I love Highway 62 Revisited

Bringing It All Back Home is damn good, and I'm also a pretty big fan of Hard Rain, not a faultless live album, but Idiot Wind... :mad:

woohoo, glad the Dylan fans are out in full force,....:up:

Lately ive been listening to Love and Theft, what an amazing album! Also played "the freewheelin" quite a bit lately, listen to I shall be free next time you get a chance, great, hilarious track....

Its really amazing how often I can hear Dylans influence on current up and coming stars. I think its part of the reason I like the new guys so much, Ryan Adams and David Gray come to mind immediatly as being influenced by Bob.........

He truly is THE LEGEND.......:up:

Hello,

Yes, Bobby D is da man! :up:
It did take me a while to get into this great man, but now he's also up there in my universe. Initially I did not think much of Bob Dylan. Yeah, he was supposed to be this legend of the Sixties generation, but so what? This was around 1990 and I saw the video for his song Unbelievable (from his Under The Red Sky album) and I thought it sucked. That voice! How can anyone be excited about this?
Luckily, a friend of mine was a big Dylan fan, so he let me hear some of his sixties albums/songs (most notably Highway 61 Revisited). I liked those songs, so I thought "Hey may be not much today, but back then he was pretty good." So eventually I got some of his '60s albums (the 'trilogy') and Volume 1-3 of The Bootleg Series (with all those incredible outtakes).

Then Time Out Of Mind was released and I was blown away. I heard Lovesick quite a lot on the radio and I really dug that song. So I went out and bought the album and thought it was superb. So now I'm a fan of the whole Dylan, he's as relevant today as he was in the past. I still don't have that much Dylan albums (Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde On Blonde, The Bootleg Series 1-3, Time Out Of Mind, Love And Theft and a bootleg from 1997), but there's a lot I still want to have (Blood On The Tracks and Live 1966 immediately come to mind).

As I said, Dylan's voice was something which caused my initial reservation about him. But I now I always remember a quote a Dutch journalist wrote after his concert in the Netherlands in 1998 and I do not want to withhold it from you. I'll try to translate the quote as exact as possible.

"In the end it will probably turn out that under the shower Dylan's voice is as crystal clear as it ever was. However, until that time it is one of the greatest mysteries on earth how a voice, sounding between a screaming goat and a ripping telephone book, can sound so beautiful."

C ya!

Marty

I've only got Blonde on Blonde, but I've heard a number of his albums, and really, there's no denying his genius - especially his brilliant lyrics. I've also recently been getting into Dire Straits, and it's very clear that Mark Knopfler was heavily influenced by Bob Dylan. If you haven't checked out Dire Straits, I recommend it!

Diemen said:
I've also recently been getting into Dire Straits, and it's very clear that Mark Knopfler was heavily influenced by Bob Dylan. If you haven't checked out Dire Straits, I recommend it!

I think I'm right in saying that Dire Straits gave both Angela Harlem and myself our 'window' into good music.

brettig said:
I think I'm right in saying that Dire Straits gave both Angela Harlem and myself our 'window' into good music.

And if you include my name then you're even more right ;) In fact, the same person who introduced me to Bob Dylan first introduced me to the Dire Straits.

C ya!

Marty

i became totally obsessed with bob dylan lyrics when i was sixteen... i'm still obsessed with the lyrics of blood on the tracks....
i love dylan, i think he's influenced almost every good songwriter that has came since .

Dire Straits are Brilliant and Mark Knopfler is another legend who continues to make good solo albums! He even produced Infidels by Bob Dylan!

I have some bad news for Dire Straits fans though, Mark Knopfler is currently in hospital after being involved in a Motor Bike crash (sounds reminiscent of Dylan!!!!;)). He is not in a critical condition but i think he's in a bad way. :(

Anyways, Dylan the man the Legend
10 songs
My Back Pages
Like a Rolling Stone
With God on our Side
Idiot Wind
Visions of Johanna
One too many mornings
Desolation Row
Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands
Stuck inside of Mobile...
Ballad of a Thin Man

And many MANY more

The Absent One said:
Dire Straits are Brilliant and Mark Knopfler is another legend who continues to make good solo albums! He even produced Infidels by Bob Dylan!

Don't forget that he also was the guitar player on Slow Train Coming (and then-Dire Strait Pick Withers was the drummer). I'll try to stop now with slipping in Dire Straits references in this thread, as it is supposed to be a celebration of the great poet Bob Dylan.

BTW, I don't have a favourite Dylan song, but some include:
- Tangled Up In Blue (from The Bootleg Series Volume 1-3)
- Rainy Day Women Nos 12 & 35
- Desolation Row
- Cold Irons Bound
- Honest With Me
- Series Of Dreams
- Subterranean Homesick Blues
- Ballad Of A Thin Man

C ya!

Marty

My best wishes go out to Mark Knopfler. Gosh - I hope his hands and arms are OK. I have been listening to Ragpicker's Dream a bit lately. I love the relationship he had with Chet Atkins. Some of my favourite local guitarist play Dire Straits songs.
Damn Motorbikes!

Bob Dylan=maestro.
He was the soundtrack to my life before Bowie and U2 came along.
I heard Pete Seger tell the story of the folk music festival where a very young Bob Dylan first performed with an amplified "electrick geetar". There were also lumberjack/woodchopping events going on at this festival and some irate person was going to chop up his Bob's gear with an axe. They thought he was evil and threatening.
I've mentioned this here before, but its' a fond, fond memory. He was on tour in Australia in 2001 and decided to unexpectedly add a concert in a rural area.Tickets were hard to get. It sold out very quickly.
Of all the little towns in this big old world, he chose the one I went to high school in. I got a last minute unwanted ticket that involved me contacting an ex-robber, a cowboy and a preacher (felt like material for a Bob Dylan song). It was the week of my 40th birthday and there I was, dancing not 20 feet from Bob Dylan( and Charlie Sexton!!) It felt like such a wonderous gift.
My sister and I used to go halvies in records, she has the Dylan ones, except for Blood On The Tracks. RAGE did a Dylan special last year. so i have a lot of his film clips on tape. They are amazing too.

I :heart: Bob Dylan!!! I dont have any of his albums tho(lack of funds) I have loads of mp3's tho:yes:

I cant wait to be able to go album shopping again I need to replenish my collection

I wanted to see Mark knopfler in June but he's cancelled now :(:(

Sorry, Dylan, YES! LEGEND. I got to see him live last May and it was one of the most amazing and strange gigs EVER!

Back
Top Bottom