Bob Dylan at the Forum last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Wow.

Last time we saw him, last tour, it was as if he wasn't interested in being Bob Dylan just then. He sang like he was sucking helium, and the arrangements were such that the songs were barely recognizable.

Last night was different. He played lots of new stuff from the last three albums, which all sounded great. Tangled Up In Blue, my favorite Dylan song, got a bit of a late-day Who treatment--big drums, rolling bass and some Pete-style acoustic work. The band was tight and loose and freaking great. Bob played keyboards and harp only, no geetar at all. His voice sounded old and ragged and Bob Dylany and wonderful. He didn't say a word to the audience except to introduce the band at the end.

Kings of Leon opened and sounded considerably better than they did a few years ago. They played some new stuff, which sounded a bit different from the first two albums. I'm not sure if I liked it as much or not. Their old stuff sounded great. The audience loved them as well.

Steve and I had a very good time, thank you very much. :D

Great show, great show at the Forum last night.

I am in awe of Bob Dylan. The older I get the more I appreciate his brilliance.

Nellie Moore and Thunder on the Mountain.:up: :up:

cool :up:

i'm looking forward to seeing him next month (and looking forward to not seeing the kings of leon. we've got the ranca-whatsitcalled opening, and while i'm not a fan, nothing could be worse than KOL).

When I got out Modern Times, I remember thinking for the first time that this music is brave. For some reason, it is. Braver than Neil Young singing let's impeach the president :|

foray

All I can say about last night is :drool: :drool: :drool:

I have to say, I don't think it really hit me that I was actually going to see Bob Dylan live until the moment the arena darkened and the introduction was underway. I was so happy he did Tangled Up In Blue, it's my favorite song of his and then to get some of the others was a total bonus. :drool: It was an amazing show, even though as we filed out of the Palace my Dad (the show was his 56th birthday gift) said he was a bit dissapointed he didn't play more hits. Ah, well, can't please everybody. Not that that's his style, anyway. :wink:

The Foos have always been a favorite of mine, and they really did give Bob a run for his money last night. The highlights of their set (for me) were Big Me, which was amazingly sweet, Best of You with Dave solo and screaming his head off (his opening line to the crowd was, "Usually I scream my balls off, well not tonight :lol: ), and Times Like These.

Web Exclusive:
Bob Dylan Reworks His Songs At The Palace

Web-posted Nov 3, 2006

By GARY GRAFF
Of the Oakland Press

AUBURN HILLS - Bob Dylan in concert, like fellow rock iconoclasts such as Van Morrison and Neil Young, has long been a buyer beware proposition.

The roundly revered troubadour has never felt constrained by audience wishes or by the recorded arrangements of his material. He revels in confounding expectations and messing with his songs - changing dynamics, re-phrasing the lyrics, stretching and twisting the instrumental attack.

It's both frustrating and fascinating, the embodiment of an artist who treats his body of work as a living entity rather than an embalmed repertoire. And while Dylan's nearly two-hour concert Thursday night at the Palace tested his fans' tolerance at times, the wise understood that it was richer than merely seeing him recreate his greatest hits. Early in the evening he snarled that "You think I'm over the hill/You think I'm past my prime," then countered that with a performance that displayed genuine engagement and passion, even if that wasn't necessarily projected towards the audience.

Dressed in black and looking like cowboy gentry, Dylan and his five-piece band took the stage to a tongue-in-cheek introduction that surveyed on his career with the same reverence Dylan shows for his songs. The show itself, meanwhile, had the feel of a group of players in a basement, huddled around the leader - on this case Dylan center stage at the keyboards - and taking cues for solos and changes. Things were a little loose, in other words, but only seemed to risk falling apart on a couple of occasions.

Dylan and company dipped into various periods of his career throughout the 16-song show. He showcased his latest release, "Modern Times," with selections such as "Spirit in the Water," "Thunder on the Mountain" and "Nettie Moore," and visited 2001's "Love and Theft" for a rollicking rendition of "Summer Days" and a particularly fierce version of "High Water (For Charley Patton)." He brought forth a few obscurities - "Senor (Tales of Yankee Power)" and "Cold Irons Bound" - but also tweaked plenty of favorites into the set, including "Stuck Inside of Mobile (With the Memphis Blues Again)," "Visions of Johanna," "Highway 61 Revisited," "Tangled Up in Blue" and an closing couplet of "Like a Rolling Stone" (with ace lead guitarist Denny Freeman recreating the original's organ hook) and "All Along the Watchtower."

In the Foo Fighters, Dylan had an opening band that certainly gave the headliner a run for his money. Led by former Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl - as engaging a performer as Dylan is retiring - the group, expanded to eight pieces for its current tour, played an acoustic-oriented, hour-long set featuring songs from the Foos' latest album, "In Your Honour," as well as recasts of hits such as "Times Like These," "Big Me" and the dramatic set-closer "Everlong," which Grohl started alone before the rest of the band joined him mid-song. Its modern rock ethic nevertheless complemented Dylan's own aesthetic, and the Foos showed that you can still rock - with gusto - even without a wall of amplifiers or an arsenal of electric guitars.

Setlist from last night:

1. Cat's In The Well
2. Señor (Tales Of Yankee Power)
3. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
4. Spirit On The Water
5. High Water (For Charley Patton)
6. Positively 4th Street
7. Cold Irons Bound
8. Visions Of Johanna
9. 'Til I Fell In Love With You
10. Tangled Up In Blue
11. Highway 61 Revisited
12. Nettie Moore
13. Summer Days

(encore)
14. Thunder On The Mountain
15. Like A Rolling Stone

16. All Along The Watchtower

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
All I can say about last night is :drool: :drool: :drool:

I have to say, I don't think it really hit me that I was actually going to see Bob Dylan live until the moment the arena darkened and the introduction was underway.

I felt the exact same way when I saw him in Chicago last Saturday. I still can't believe that I saw the legend that is Bob Dylan. We got the Kings of Leon and they were fantastic!!!

according to some site, this is the setlist for the amherst, MA show last night.

Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat
The Man In Me
Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
When The Deal Goes Down
Cold Irons Bound
The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll
I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
John Brown
Watching The River Flow
Sugar Baby
Highway 61 Revisited
Spirit On The Water
Summer Days
Lenny Bruce
Thunder On The Mountain
Like A Rolling Stone

it was an excellent show. but now i'm jealous that LMPA got "positively 4th street". :p

Back
Top Bottom