Blues vs Canucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
Might as well start a new thread for this series since we have lots of Canucks fans here. It's a shame it's only gonna be a 4 game series, I hate watiting around for the other series' to finish.

Keys to the rest of the series:

Blues - Keep it up
Canucks - Improve every facet of their game

I predict a 4-3 Blues OT victory in game 2.

SCF.gif

Last edited:
Nice gifs. :rolleyes:

Don't know what's gonna happen tomorrow... but my prediction is a Canuck's sweep on Blues ice. :wink:

Hey chizip, isnt this so much more easier!!!

I love your counter...great...is there anyway you could get me one for Dallas?

Oh and by the way it wont be a sweep..it'll go seven and will be the next best series to the Oil/Dallas

yea bonoman, separate threads makes it a lot easier to navigate and talk about the series you want. but i dont blame popangel for merging the threads in the first place, she was just trying to unclutter things. but this really is better and she didnt let her ego get in the way and close all these threads, so yay for popangel.

i got the coutner off a blues website, so i dont know about a dallas one, maybe look on edmonton websites, they might have something similiar.

btw Chizip- your annoying signature works on my home computer, but not on my work computer. :der:

you shouldnt be wasting time on interference at work anyway!!

for shaaaaame!!!

Did anyone hear the play by play commentator for the Oilers game? What does he think he's calling - golf??? That was just too much. I feel for ya', Edmontonians.

Oh, this is a Canucks/Blues thread. Sorry. Must be my short attention span again!

I will say this much: if the Canucks come out flat again tomorrow night--not necessarily lose, because they can play well and still lose--but if they come out *flat*, this series will be over in 4. As much as I hate the Leafs, they would NEVER have let St. Louis waltz away with those extra goals at the end. They would have made St. Louis pay the price, earn their game, and send a message. I mean, where was May and Cooke and Letowski -- and where was Jovo??? They left their collective heart in the locker room last night. Let's see how they respond tomorrow night...

on a completly different note, i think brandon reid deserves 55 minuts of ice time a game.

dare i say he reminds me of pavel bure?

no, i should not say that.

Yeah, the kid that skates a 100 miles/hour without going anywhere! He's a little firefly, but needs to learn how to play without the puck. That will come in time. He's just a whiper snapper.

I'm predicting a 4-3 blues ot victory tonight. Whoever scores the first goal is gonna be huuuuuuuge. If the Blues score the first goal, the Canucks will be like, uh oh, here we go again, and maybe get nervous and have it snowball again. If the Canucks score first then that will give them the confidence to win the game. So I think whoever scores first tonight will win. I'm gonna freakin miss the game so I am pissed. But don't worry I'll be back tomorrow to give my full analysis, I'm sure you're all excited for that.

GAME: St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks.

PLAYOFF SERIES: Western Conference quarterfinal; Blues lead 1-0.

TIME: Saturday, 10 p.m. EDT.

Improvement for the St. Louis Blues is almost impossible. It is essential for the Vancouver Canucks.

The Blues will be trying to duplicate a nearly perfect performance when they face the Canucks in Game 2 of their Western Conference quarterfinal series.

Chris Osgood recorded his 10th career playoff shutout in relatively easy fashion and defenseman Alexander Khavanov scored twice as the Blues embarrassed the Canucks 6-0 on Thursday.

Doug Weight and Tyson Nash each added a goal and an assist for St. Louis, which outshot Vancouver 29-20.

Osgood, acquired from the New York Islanders at the trade deadline, improved his career record against Vancouver to 13-1-4, with his last loss against the Canucks coming in 1997.

"That game epitomizes a total team effort," Osgood said. "We had great back pressure and smothered them and didn't give them any room."

As was the case in just about every facet of their game, the Blues' special teams were outstanding. They went 3-for-9 with the man advantage and killed seven Vancouver power plays.

"That's how you want to play," Weight said. "That's how you map it out. We're going to do everything we did well and try to compound it and snowball it going into Game 2."

Thursday's performance also ended any thoughts that St. Louis was headed for a quick playoff exit after closing the regular season on an 0-3-2 slide.

While the Blues performed flawlessly, the Canucks did just about everything wrong in matching a 23-year-old franchise record for the biggest margin of defeat in a playoff game.

Vancouver's Todd Bertuzzi was called for interference 72 seconds into the game, and Cory Stillman gave the Blues all the offense they would need just 18 seconds later.

Dan Cloutier, who struggled in Vancouver's first-round loss to Detroit last season, yielded six goals on 29 shots.

"We got outplayed in absolutely every aspect of the game tonight," Canucks coach Marc Crawford said. "We just didn't even deserve to be in the same league, let alone the same rink. We know it, I'm embarrassed by it, the team is embarrassed by it. We have to regroup and get better."

Vancouver finished second in the NHL this season with 264 goals, but has been outscored 9-0 in the last eight periods.

Canucks defenseman Mattias Ohlund hopes to return for Game 2 after missing more than five weeks with a dislocated kneecap. He took part in the morning skate Thursday, but decided afterward that he wasn't ready to play in the opener.

The series shift to the Savvis Center for Game 3 on Monday.

HOW THEY GOT HERE: Blues - 99 points; 5th seed. Canucks - 104 points; 4th seed.

PLAYOFF TEAM LEADERS: Blues - Khavanov, 2 goals; Chris Pronger and Pavol Demitra, 2 assists; five with 2 points; Scott Mellanby, 6 PIM. Canucks - Three with 4 PIM.

PLAYOFF SPECIAL TEAMS: Blues - Power play: 33.3 percent (3 for 9). Penalty killing: 100.0 percent (5 for 5). Canucks - Power play: 0.0 percent (0 for 5). Penalty killing: 66.6 percent (6 for 9).

GOALTENDERS: Blues - Osgood (1-0, 1 SO, 0.00 GAA); Brent Johnson (no appearances). Canucks - Cloutier (0-1, 6.00); Alexander Auld (no appearances).

REGULAR SEASON SERIES: Canucks, 2-1-1. The teams combined for 33 goals in four games. Vancouver went 2-0-1 in the first three meetings before the Blues posted a 6-4 victory at home March 18. Morrison had four goals and six points for the Canucks.

Canucks looking for lost offence

Don't ask Todd Bertuzzi why Vancouver can't score lately, because he'll tell you: "I don't have an answer for the goal scoring." Fair enough.

(posted Apr. 11, 7:44PM EDT)
VANCOUVER -- A Saskatchewan winter night can be cold. So can a spring wind when it blows off the Pacific Ocean.

Neither had the chill of Todd Bertuzzi's stare when asked Friday why the Vancouver Canucks have gone seven periods without scoring a goal.

"I don't have an answer for the goal scoring," Bertuzzi snapped in a frosty tone. "It comes and it goes.

"Sometimes you get a lot of goals and sometimes you don't get any goals."

If the Canucks hope to stick around in the NHL playoffs, they'd better thaw out their frozen scoring touch.

The Canucks were iced 6-0 in their own building by the St. Louis Blues in Thursday's opening game of the Western Conference quarter-final series. They were also blanked 2-0 by the Los Angeles Kings in the regular-season finale.

Count back to the second period of a 3-3 tie with the Phoenix Coyotes nine days ago and the Canucks have gone roughly 156 minutes without a goal.

Captain Markus Naslund said the Canucks lost their composure when they found themselves down 2-0 against the Blues with the game just two minutes old.

"After that we forced it," he said. "For us to be successful we have to take a deep breath and do what we have been throughout the year when we've been successful."

Naslund, who was overtaken for the league scoring lead on the final day of the season, admitted nerves took their toll in Game 1.

"I felt myself forcing stuff," he said. "The puck was bouncing on my stick, stuff that usually doesn't happen.

"After that I was a little frustrated."

Game 2 of the best-of-seven series will be played Saturday (CBC, 10 p.m. EDT)

The Canucks finished the regular season with 264 goals, second only to Detroit's 269.

Naslund was second in the league with 48 goals while Bertuzzi was third with 46. Between them, the line of Naslund, Bertuzzi and Brendan Morrison scored 119 goals.

Against the Blues the trio managed just four shots on goal. Naslund had three and Morrison one.

The Blues' strategy in Game 1 was to use speed and muscle to beat the Canucks.

The St. Louis defence drew a curtain in front of the net, limited shots and virtually eliminated any rebounds.

The forwards also clogged the lanes, denying the Canuck forwards both time and space.

It was a pretty thing to watch said Blues goaltender Chris Osgood.

"I think they were getting frustrated and that has to do with not just our defence," said Osgood, who has a career record of 13-1-4 against Vancouver. "Our forwards coming back doesn't allow them any time at our blue-line, doesn't allow them any space."

Coach Marc Crawford said Vancouver must unravel the St. Louis puzzle quickly Saturday.

"Right from the get-go we have to be getting pucks at the net, doing things that allow you to score," said Crawford. "We're a very good offensive club. "It's not that these talents aren't there. They are there. They just have to make sure they have the habits that will allow them to come forth."<

Bertuzzi has gone six games without a goal. Morrison hasn't had a point during that stretch.

Naslund said its no secret that line must begin producing if the Canucks hope to overcome the Blues.

"We know we have to pick our game up," he said. "There's no other way around it.

"You have to produce if you're an offence line. It is a challenge for us."

Morrison said down the stretch the line might have been concentrating too much on helping Naslund reach the 50-goal plateau.

"Maybe our game changed a little bit at the end of the year when we were trying to hit the 50-mark," he said. "Our job is to provide offence and we haven't been doing it the last couple of games.

"We have to really pick our game up."

The Blues were careful not to kick the Canucks while they were down.

"It's only one game," said defenceman Chris Pronger. "I'm sure they will come back with a better effort.

"We've got to be leery and make sure we pay attention to details and don't pick up bad habits. Just because it was a 6-0 game (Thursday) it doesn't mean tomorrow is going to be 6-0 again."

Vancouver's all-star defenceman Mattias Ohlund, out since Feb.27 with a knee injury, and cene Mats Lindgren, who has a bad back, both remain question marks for Saturday's game.

The series resumes Monday and Wednesday in St. Louis.

great game, eat shit blues!

todd bertuzzi was smokin, i love it.

the momentum has changed in a big way going to st. louis. not only have the canucks got back their best defenceman in mattias ohlund, the blues lost al mac. however, its not yet known how long he'll be out for...

The Wanderer said:
dallas drake is throwing some serious weight around...

somebody needs to answer him.
Uhm, Dallas Drake was answered. And so was the rest of the Blues. Talk about a team that got *worked* in the hitting department. It's too bad that Malik had to take that stupid penalty right at the end and ruin Cloutier's shutout. The Blues were lucky they weren't down 3-0 by the end of the 1st. This series has only just begun. And yes, it can still go either way.

Gickies Gageeze said:
great game, eat shit blues!

todd bertuzzi was smokin, i love it.

the momentum has changed in a big way going to st. louis. not only have the canucks got back their best defenceman in mattias ohlund, the blues lost al mac. however, its not yet known how long he'll be out for...
Gickies, didn't you just love the energy right before the game when 'Streets' was blarring and you saw all those white pom-poms? And then the anthem singer let the crowd sing a couple verses of the Canadian anthem. That was old time hockey for you. And the hitting!!! That's the way Vancouver needs to play. The Blues couldn't even move without being hammered along the boards. Bertuzzi set the tone in the first 20 seconds. And the hits just kept coming. And Cloutier??? Are you kidding me? That save off the 2 on 0 with Tkachuk and Bogunieki??? Yeah, I think he's returned to the form that made him the NHL's winningest goalie this season before he went down.

That was a great game.

Last edited:
1 bad game, 1 good game.

I would like to see more efforts like tonight from them, I hope the Canucks win the Western Conference. but i still like the old jerseys...

Back
Top Bottom