Blues vs Canucks - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2003, 11:52 AM   #121
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:10 PM
glad ya like it, i should be able to come up with a better one though, dont you worry

Old 04-16-2003, 02:28 PM   #122
Blue Crack Addict

Link

Quote:
This one-liner not funny
Canucks' star scorers stymied by Blues' stellar defensive play

By AL STRACHAN

ST. LOUIS -- Over the years, concentrating your firepower always has been an extremely volatile tactic.

It is possible to have playoff success when most of your points are produced by one line. But it's just as easy to go down in flames.

And smoke is already creeping out from under the wings of the Vancouver Canucks.

They're essentially a one-line team. During the regular season, Markus Naslund had 48 goals; Todd Bertuzzi had 46; and Brendan Morrison had 25.

That's 119 goals. To put it another way, it's 45% of the Canucks' total.

Now let's work out how many goals they have in the playoffs. Naslund? Zero. Bertuzzi? Zero. Morrison? Zero.

Only a lawyer could add that up and get anything but zero.

Little wonder, then, that the Canucks are trailing the St. Louis Blues 2-1 in their Western Conference quarter-final. In fact, had the Blues' all-star defenceman, Al MacInnis, not been injured in the opening minutes of the second game, the Canucks might be facing elimination tonight.

There is a reason that the eggs-in-one-basket tactic has proved to be dangerous. During the season, there is little time for specialized preparation. The schedule is too tightly packed to allow for any real focus on the opposition.

The playoffs are different. Now, coaches know that, for the next two weeks, they'll be seeing only one team. Naturally enough, if the opposition has one weapon that is far more dangerous than any other, that's the one that gets all the attention.

So the Blues looked at the game films, talked to their scouts and came to the realization that the Canucks' big shooters are creatures of habit.

Vancouver had the third-best power play in the NHL, primarily because of that one line. And at full strength, the line sets up in pretty much the same way.

So the entire team could go to school on this one. The penalty killers can employ their tactics at the appropriate time but, five on five, the same principles apply.

Morrison, the left winger, rarely carries the puck. Naslund or Bertuzzi comes down the right side and the two support each other.

If Bertuzzi is the puck carrier, he'll either take it to the net or, more likely, leave it for Naslund around the hash marks and then go to the net.

If Naslund is the puck carrier, he'll either go to those right hash marks himself or come over the blue line and curl, giving Bertuzzi time to go to the net.

Only if that play doesn't open up will he send it over to Morrison on the left.

So Blues coach Joel Quenneville looked at this and devised his defence accordingly.

For one thing, he demands strong back-side pressure. That's hockey jargon for having the forecheckers come back in a hurry. After they've applied their mandatory pressure during the Canucks breakout, they break off and scoot to the appropriate spots as fast as they can.

One of those spots is the area on the right boards where Naslund likes to set up. The other is the spot over the blue line where he likes to curl.

It's an example of the Blues using one of their main assets -- speed -- to counter the Canucks' power by giving them no time to set up.

They're not trying to outplay the Canucks' big guns, simply to negate them. Their aim is to disrupt the attack, not create one of their own. They knock the puck out of the zone, then worry about whether an offensive opportunity might ensue.

On the Vancouver power plays, they again attack with speed. You can't be passive against the Canucks. They'll find the seams and exploit them.

Many teams are afraid to attack for fear of being caught out of position. But the Blues go right at the big line and challenge them to make the plays -- if they can.

Down low, the St. Louis defencemen, especially Chris Pronger and Barrett Jackman, are taking on Bertuzzi physically and making his life miserable. Elsewhere, those speedy forwards are disrupting the attack.

The result? On Monday, the mighty Canucks had 14 shots on goal, the lowest total in the playoff history of the franchise. And that's with the benefit of eight power plays!

Proof once again that regular-season success means nothing during the playoffs.

Isn't this what I was saying before the playoffs when you declared Vancouver an elite team? I think I recall you earn your elite status by how you play in the post season, the regular season reall ymeans nothing.

So I have a question for you Mr Griffiths, if the Blues beat the Canucks in the first round, are they stil the "elite" team you proclaimed them to be?

Old 04-16-2003, 08:24 PM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:10 PM
Hahaha! That's hilarious. Thank-you Chizip, I needed that. Al Strachan is quite simply one of the worst anyalysts in all of sport. He sits in an office and never goes to games, and he's probably hasn't seen the Canucks play once this year. Do you want proof of his incompetency? Here you go:

"Morrison, the left winger, rarely carries the puck. Naslund or Bertuzzi comes down the right side and the two support each other."

Morrison's the left winger??? Bwahaha! Learn your facts, Al. So whose the centre? Is it Naslund or Bertuzzi?? haha! Way too funny. It's the biggest line in hockey, and he can't even get that right. As for everything else he said, it's quite clear he hasn't watched the rest of this team play this year. Sorry, but this article provided nothing more than some cheap entertainment.

To answer your question, I said the Canucks were an elite team based on their regular season play up to that point going back to last Christmas. So, as I defined it, yes, they would still be considered an elite team. But Chizip, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Momentum's a funny thing. It can change like *that*
Old 04-16-2003, 10:55 PM   #124
Blue Crack Addict

WHAT A GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOALLLL

NOW WHAT A SAVE BY OSGOOOOOOD

3-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2003, 10:59 PM   #125
Blue Crack Addict

GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

4-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

best road team my butt
Old 04-16-2003, 11:16 PM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Now I'm convinced that the refs are being payed off by the Blues organization. That was blatently horrible. Betuzzi and one of the Blues gets thrown off for coincidental roughing, but Bertuzzi gets 4 minutes and (Jackman, I think?) gets 2 minutes??? The announcers couldn't even figure it out what it was for. And then Bertuzzi gets mauled behind the net for the 10th time in the game, but no call. Of course, they call the phantom penalties against Vancouver though, negating their powerplays no less.

Vancouver outplayed them in every aspect of the game. They outchanced them, outshot them (33-20, including 12-5 and 13-6 in the 1st and 3rd!!!). They out hit them, won more faceoffs (about 65%), and pretty much dominated. Wow, bad luck boys. Sad to say, but with that kind of luck, and officiating like that, the series will be over very soon.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:19 PM   #127
Blue Crack Addict

luck, officiating, getting screwed

thats the mating call of the loser

the refs have been equally bad for both teams, end of story. the canucks dominated the first, but thats why we have a cup winning goaltender, to keep us in the game. we dominated the 2nd and 3rd periods though, so i kind of think we deserved to win this one.

it's sad when an elite team cant even win in the first round.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:26 PM   #128
Rock n' Roll Doggie

1) The officiating was not equally bad for both teams. It was far worse toward the Canucks.

2) The Blues were outshot (13-6) and outchanced in the 3rd, thus did not dominate as you suggest.

3) If that makes me a loser, at least I'm an honest loser.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:27 PM   #129
Blue Crack Addict

2 goals to 0 in the 3rd

i think if you can outscore a team 2-0 every period that would be considered domination

oh and that was also in a period where we werent even trying to score, just trying to hold on for the win, the goals were just bonus
Old 04-16-2003, 11:34 PM   #130
Blue Crack Addict

and by my count we had 8 penalties called against us and 7 against you guys. man, we really must have done a bad job paying off the refs for them to call more penalties on us.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:56 PM   #131
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
alright i just got home from the airport and i am checking in to see what is going on. is the game still on or is it over?
Old 04-17-2003, 12:05 AM   #132
Blue Crack Addict

its over baby, blues win 4-1!!!!

they have a 3-1 series lead, so it's pretty much over

the blues have dominated the series, so i dont expect that to change, they will probably wrap up the series next game
Old 04-17-2003, 12:10 AM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
2 goals to 0 in the 3rd

i think if you can outscore a team 2-0 every period that would be considered domination

oh and that was also in a period where we werent even trying to score, just trying to hold on for the win, the goals were just bonus
Yes, a team can get dominated, but still outscore the opponent. It takes 1 second to score a goal. It takes 20 minutes to dominate a period. It's called hockey.

As for the penalties, you guys should have been called for about 12 penalties, not 8, but whose counting. I wish neither team was called for any penalties, but since the refs were having a field day anyway, I just wish they gave the Blues the same standard.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:22 AM   #134
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
angel must be a little worried now.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:26 AM   #135
Blue Crack Addict