Blues vs Canucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chizip, don't forget though, that wasn't a playoff game. Gretzky used to get shadowed to the max in the playoffs. After he got traded to LA, everytime the Kings played the Oilers, Tikkenen would be his double. Gretzky, though, had a little strategy for that. He would then go and shadow another member of the opposition, effectively turning the play into a 4 on 3 for his team. Gretzky once remarked that shadows weren't too bright.

As for his record breaker that game, I remember that play. Robitaille dished it back to Gretzky at the blue line, Gretzky skated in veering left, but passed right againt the grain like he loved to do. McSorely of all people was in the clear, and no one expected him to pass back to Gretzky, which he promptly did, and thus Gretz had an open net to shoot at. That was the story of Gretz' career, though. Manipulating space and getting wide open. He made it look rather easy, didn't he?

great play by clouts

not

this freakin sucks, half our team is in the locker room puking

why the hell did we have to get the flu now

come on blues, suck it up and win tonight, and you will have lots of time to recover

i just wish we could have our full lineup on the ice at least once this year, it has been so frustrating, people go down every game

it's not as bad as last year with the Leafs... at least you guys still have some number one liners left...

This will just be a test of grit for you guys... see if you're up to snuff with the Canuck's gruff.

5 forwards on the ice because the defense is all off puking :rolleyes:

faaaaantastic

Enough penalties eh?

I wouldn't be surprised if old Ozzy gets a call from Monsieur Campbell's office about that blatant head-butt...

wdell it's a series now, the blues better get healthy and better win the next game at home

Wow, the Canucks seriously dominated them. Finally, the real Cancuks show up. Better late than never.

Chizip - no excuses. The Blues were outplayed tonight. What really pissed me off though, is I missed the game. I saw the first period, and the Canucks were all over them. I set the VCR to tape the game, but I didn't hit the "timer" button! So it didn't work. I'm pissed! They play their best game, and I don't even get to watch it. Figures. How do you like our fans, Chizip? Now that's what playoff fanfare should be!!!

cujo said:
Enough penalties eh?

I wouldn't be surprised if old Ozzy gets a call from Monsieur Campbell's office about that blatant head-butt...
I wouldn't be surprised if old Drakey boy gets a call from King Cambell for that dirty, cheap, and even more blatent boarding incident at the end of the game.

You got to admire this team. Vancouver could have folded after Cloutes gave the puck away which caused the tying goal. But, no. Bert came right back and made Jackman look silly with that little in between his own legs, no look goal. And then the Canucks poured it on. That looked much more like the team that scored 264 goals this year.

Last edited:
im not giving an excuse, im giving a reasn why we lost. yes you guys outplayed us, but you outplayed a team that was a shell of it's former self. dont you feel at all guilty gloating about beating a team with 3 key injured players, and the other half riddled by the flu. the only 2 games you have beaten us is when we have had to play the whole game with 5 defenseman, and last night was really more like 3. and what's amazing is we actually were within a goal in the last minute. if it wasnt for osgood letting in a few soft goals we could have won this game. that's pretty sad for the canucks considering everything we had to go through.

Blah Blah Blah *Flu* Blah Blah Blah *Injuries* Blah Blah. I hate whiners.

And I see you've suddenly changed your tune about Wasgood. Oh, but he's a Stanley Cup champion, so why does any of that matter? :wink: The fact remains he played on perhaps the best team of all time, with maybe the best defense ever, when he was actually on the ice for once and not warming the bench.

I think the only way Vancouver will win game 6 is if they play with their backs against the wall again. They can't let up. They must go after it with a vengeance again. If they play like they're afraid they're going to lose (like in games 1 and 3), rather than playing like they want to win, they will lose. We'll see which version shows up tomorrow night. If they win tomorrow night's game, look out.

Is it possible to state a fact about something bad without it being considered whining? I was simply stating the Blues were a shell of the tem they could be because they were ravaged with an illness. And that is a fact, so I don't consider how that can be conisdered whining. And it is possbile to have a great goalie who has a bad game you know. Just look at Roy last year, as he choked away game 7 to the Red Wings. I still have confidence in his Stanley Cup winning abilities, since he has done it before, but he did cost us the game last night.

The Blues better get healthy and win tomorrow night, or they could be in trouble. but I fully expect them to since I picked them in 6 anyway, I'm right on my predictiom as always.

And the Blues have never lost a series when up 3-1, so Im not worried.

And another home game is good, brings in a couple million more for the owner to spend next year :wink:

Last edited:
Ah, so soon you forget how you tormented me for stating some rather blatant "facts" after the game before last. I got you back in the exact same way to prove a little point. And it looks like I just did! :wink:

As for the Blues being handicapped due to the flu, that's part of sports. And so are injuries. The Canucks had to deal with them all year long, too, and their returned players are still not 100%. Not even close, actually. You don't see the fans whining about it though! It's called sucking it up. No team has ever won the cup without doing that. Like you said, a team (and thus their fans) shouldn't use such excuses, otherwise they aren't accountable to getting the job done. Officiating is an exception, because that is part of the actual variables of the rules of the game. Injuries and the flu virus aren't things that are written into the rule book the last time I checked. :wink:

Last edited:
are you kidding me? that may be the most asinine thing ive ever heard. to complain about officiating after you had gotten more power plays than the other team is whining. admitting that you were outplayed, but pointing out the reason it occurred was because the team was at about half strength, is simply stating a fact.

"bad officiating" is a judgemental thing, there are so many things in every hockey game that can or can not be called, it is just asinine to complain about it. the refs cant get every call right in hockey, there is just too much action and it goes by too fast. so that is just part of the game, people need to learn to deal with it and stop their bitching. your "facts" were more like your opinion, because every call in hockey is a judgement call.

the only legitimate excuse a team can give to being screwed out of a win is when they cant field their whole team. now you may say, well they just gotta "suck it up." well say half a team goes down with broken legs, now if they lose to what would have been an inferior team if they were healthy, will you say the team with the broken legs was the worse team because they didnt suck it up and than lost? no, you will say they got unlucky, and that yes, they were inferior with the lineup they had on the ice, because they did lose, but if they had their full line up than they would clearly be the superior team. they just got unluky that half the team got broken legs at the same time.

so as you can plainly see, having injuries is a valid excuse for a team losing to an inferior team, while poor officiating is not a valid excuse, it is petty whining.

i didnt like the canucks third period last game. they must play hard the whole way through, particularly in the first, second, AND third periods. imagine that - thats 60 minutes!

Pear Bear - yes, that is a problem. They get comfortable once they have the lead, and try and sit on it. They're not the Dallas Stars (thank God!), so they can't employ this technique. They win when they go hard and try and score goals *all* game. Once they let up, they get themselves into trouble. I only hope they don't let up next game. I expect them to come out flying as they did in the first two periods last game.

A couple stories just to get us all in the mood. A Canucks/Blues aphrodisiac if you will...

Cancuks sit on the brink

The Canucks will need another huge performance from the big three. During the regular season Vancouver's top line generated 119 goals but had managed just one during the first four games of the series.

(posted Apr. 20, 11:54AM EDT)

VANCOUVER -- The Vancouver Canucks look different although nothing has really changed as they head into Game 6 against the St. Louis Blues which will either end Vancouver's playoffs or give them one more lease on life.

Fan forum: Predictions for this crucial Game 6?

"Our backs are against the wall," said Canucks forward Jarkko Ruutu.

"Nothing has changed. We have to win this game and win the next one too. That's the bottom line."

After the Canucks' 5-3 win on Friday, the Blues remain ahead in their best-of-seven Western Conference quarter-final with a 3-2 lead. The Canucks must win Sunday's match in St. Louis if they hope to force a seventh and deciding game in Vancouver on Tuesday.

What was different about Vancouver's exciting, must-win Friday night was the Canucks showed flashes of their old offensive brilliance, received some clutch goaltending from Dan Cloutier and finely got some timely goals from their big line of Markus Naslund, Todd Bertuzzi and Brendan Morrison.

"We have to keep building," said the workhorse Bertuzzi, who scored his first goal of the series and broke a 10-game goal drought.

"It's nice to see the guys in here really believing in themselves and really confident. I know it will take a harder effort to get the one in St. Louis."

During the regular season Vancouver's top line generated 119 goals but had managed just one during the first four games of the series. Naslund, who had a career-high 48 goals in the regular season, scored his second of the playoffs Friday while Morrison collected his first point in 10 games with a second-period goal.

"Our line has been under a lot of scrutiny," said Morrison. "We haven't been scoring a lot of goals. It was nice to contribute and we expect to continue to do that."

The Blues' line of Dallas Drake, Doug Weight and Martin Rucinsky has gnawed and clawed at Vancouver's top trio like a dog with a bone.

The battles in front of the net between Bertuzzi and Blues rookie defenceman Barrett Jackman could be a story line for the next Wrestlemania.

St. Louis forward Tyson Nash said the Blues can't let the seed of confidence that has sprouted in Vancouver's top line grow.

"It's been key all series to shut those guys down," he said. "We gave them a little bit of life. They're feeling pretty good about themselves but we're back at home and we're all right with that." For the first time in the series the Canucks also seemed to rattle Blues goaltender Chris Osgood.

They peppered him with 35 shots and he allowed more goals than he had in the previous four games combined.

"He had to make a lot of saves, that's taxing for a defence and that's taxing for an opposition goaltender," said Canucks coach Marc Crawford. "We have to keep doing that. We have to build on that."

Keith Tkachuk said the Blues remain confident in Osgood, obtained from the New York Islanders at the trade deadline.

"He's kept us in a lot of games since we traded for him," said Tkachuk. "He's the guy back there. He's won us three games in the series. We've got to stick up for him."

Bad blood is also building between the teams. Vancouver forward Trent Klatt accused Osgood of head-butting him. Drake received a major for hitting from behind and a misconduct after driving Ruutu into the boards in the third period.

"I go out there and hit and if they retaliate, good," said Ruutu, who chafes the Blues like sandpaper. "It's playoffs. You're trying to do everything you can."

Several of the Blues are battling the flu and Osgood appeared to hurt his groin Friday, but no one is looking for excuses.

"The ball is in our court," said Nash. "We play great in front of our own fans and hopefully we're going to end it. We feel pretty confident."

Naslund said the challenge only keeps building for the Canucks.

"It's going to be a totally new game," he said.

"It's not going to be easy. It's going to be tough and probably a different type of game again. I know we have the group that can beat them."

http://www.faceoff.com/nhl/teams/canucks/news/story.html?f=/news/20030420/320662.html

Cloutier heads into St. Louis looking like playoff performer

By BEN KUZMA
The Vancouver Province

Arlen Redekop, The Province

Dan Cloutier makes a glove save in front of Eric Boguniecki during Game 5 on Friday night.

It's not the one that got away.

It's the ones he got in the way of.

In the ongoing maturation of Dan Cloutier, the Vancouver Canucks enter Game 6 of their Western Conference quarterfinal Sunday in St. Louis knowing their starting goaltender is starting to turn into a real playoff performer.

"He was phenomenal," centre Brendan Morrison said of Cloutier's 29-save performance Friday in a 5-3 win over the Blues that included a number of spectacular saves. "Even though we played a better game offensively, we gave up a couple more chances than last game and he was there.

"He shut the door."

And closed the door on criticism that Cloutier can't deliver in the postseason.

Aside from a first-period gaffe, when he attempted to play the puck behind the net only to be stripped by Ryan Johnson who fed Tyson Nash for an easy goal, Cloutier didn't wilt. He blossomed. A year ago, Cloutier wasn't the same after a Game 3 long bomb by Nicklas Lidstrom turned the series tide. On Friday, he looked the same as he did when he was named player of the month in November.

"This series has been up and down for me," admitted Cloutier. "But now I've just got to put it together for the next game and who knows? I definitely felt good, even though I let in one I should have had. It bounced on me and then he [Johnson] beat me to it. He made a pretty nice play to his partner and they pretty much had an open net.

"But I didn't let that bother me. I battled through it and it worked out."

Did it ever.

Cloutier's biggest saves included an eye-to-eye effort on Martin Rucinsky that led directly to a Brendan Morrison goal to make it 3-1 in the second period. There was a shorthanded breakaway save off Cory Stillman later in the period and sharp reflexes to thwart a Doug Weight deflection in the third.

"That was one of my biggest wins -- just the importance of the game," added Cloutier.

If Cloutier steals a win in Game 6 at the Savvis Center, the Canucks will gladly take their chances in Game 7 on Tuesday at GM Place. Especially if they give Cloutier offensive and defensive support.

Until Friday, the spotlight deservedly shone on Blues stopper Chris Osgood. And with St. Louis holding a decided edge in playoff experience, the total Game 5 effort was not lost on Cloutier.

"To just play this well with the circumstances with our backs against the wall," he said, "it's a great sign for our team."

So is steady goaltending.

Last edited:
And an article on "sucking it up" :wink: ...

http://www.faceoff.com/nhl/teams/canucks/news/story.html?f=/news/20030420/320663.html

One good wrist was all Salo needed

By BEN KUZMA
The Vancouver Province

After completing an early pass Friday, Sami Salo winced in pain and grabbed his injured right wrist.

After whistling a late slapshot past goalie Chris Osgood to ensure the Vancouver Canucks have another playoff date against the Blues Sunday in St. Louis, the defenceman grabbed the attention of his teammates.

"It makes me feel really good to see a guy like that battle basically with one wrist," defenceman Ed Jovanovski said of Salo, whose shot beat Osgood with less than a minute remaining Friday to put the icing on a 5-3 victory at GM Place. "It gave us the motivation. Guys are sucking it up and playing through injuries."

After being slashed by Cory Stillman late in the first period of Game 4 on Wednesday, Salo missed the final two periods and was doubtful for Game 5. He even needed an hour of post-game treatment Friday before putting the best possible spin on his injury.

"Damage? Not that I know of -- and you can look at my whole body," said Salo slyly. "I just feel good and that's a good sign. I tried to keep it simple and in the playoffs you have to try and do those things."

With seven points from blueliners, the Canucks finally practised what they had been preaching: Get your nose dirty, get to the net and make sure pucks get there, too.

"Every guy played his guts out," added Salo, whose 22:58 of ice time Friday was only surpassed by Mattias Ohlund's 24:45. "We need the same kind of intensity the next game. We can't be overconfident. They [Blues] have got a great backchecking team and we have to respect that."

That's why the Canucks threw offensive curveballs at the Blues in Game 5.

Yes, that was defenceman Marek Malik drawing two defenders in the slot and threading a pass to Brendan Morrison to make it 3-1. And that was blueliner Brent Sopel opening the scoring by throwing a deflected puck at the net.

"We talked a lot about just shooting the puck and hitting the net and that's what happened," said Salo.

If they stay healthy, the Canucks have a shot. Winger Matt Cooke was limping after Game 5 after taking a Chris Pronger slapshot off the ankle. And Ohlund is gamely playing in pain following surgery on his knee.

"Sometimes when I was falling down, I looked like a hippo getting up," chuckled Ohlund.

"But overall, it was the best I have felt."

Last edited:
And one more to hype this up past the stratosphere. I love it, Tkachuk says, "half our guys," when all we've heard about is 3 players. "Half" would be about 13 players. Talk about excuses!

http://www.faceoff.com/nhl/teams/canucks/news/story.html?f=/news/20030420/320845.html

The Blues are hurting
Canucks looking a lot healthier than flu-ridden St. Louis

By ED WILLES
The Vancouver Province

Arlen Redekop, The Province

Trent Klatt (26) looks on as the Blues' Tyson Nash (9) gets a stick in the ear from Canuck Ed Jovanovski (55) during Friday's game.

ST. LOUIS -- It's quite possible that queasy feeling which was planted in the St. Louis Blues on Friday night originated with Scott Mellanby and not the Vancouver Canucks.

I mean, there was a reason first-line centre Pavol Demitra logged 12 minutes of ice time, workhorse defenceman Chris Pronger had 17 minutes and half the Blues looked whiter than Hootie Johnson after the Canucks' 5-3 triumph. And it's not because they wanted to win this one on home ice.

"We were still looking to win this game with half our guys sick," spat Keith Tkachuk, referring to the flu epidemic which started with Mellanby. "It's amazing the things we've had to battle through. This is just one more."

But whatever the circumstances behind the Canucks' win, the implications of Game 5 are beyond dispute. Prior to Friday night, the Blues had Vancouver bloodied and battered with a chance to finish the kill cleanly and quickly. They still have that opportunity tonight when Game 6 goes at the Savvis Center. The difference is the Canucks now look and sound a lot healthier than they did two days ago.

"They have to be questioning themselves," said the Canucks' Jarkko Ruutu. "And we have a lot of confidence in our room."

"I'm sure they'll be thinking about this one," said Brendan Morrison, one of several Canucks who are off the schneid after Friday. "They'll feel they've got to finish this at home and they'll be ready. So will we."

The Canucks, in fact, look like the 104-point goal machine of the regular season for the first time in this series and if it's possible to be cocky and down three games to two at the same time, that's their mindset going into this afternoon's encounter. That's because Friday night, they almost overwhelmed a listless-looking Blues side with their speed-and-skill game, even as their big guns began to fire.

Todd Bertuzzi, who was threatening to join the witness protection program, scored the game's pivotal goal and was the best player on the ice. Morrison, who was starring in his own production of The Invisible Man, scored his first goal of the series. And Markus Naslund scored the eventual game-winner on a five-on-three late in the second period.

"A lot of good things happened for us in this game," said Morrison.

That included a triumph in the trenches that might be the more telling development of Game 5. Head coach Marc Crawford threw out Matt Cooke and Bertuzzi for the opening faceoff. Cooke recorded two hits on Barret Jackman in the first 30 seconds and, thus, the terms of engagement were established for the affair.

Brad May had a huge hit on Bryce Salvador in the first period. Ed Jovanovski knocked Mellanby on his can. Trent Klatt was a physical presence the entire game.

Even Daniel Sedin got into the act and while he didn't make anyone forget Cam Neely, he was giving as good as he got for most of the night.

"You've got to make them think, 'Who's coming now?'" said Klatt. "Maybe it doesn't make a difference right away but by Game 5, 6 and 7, they're worn down and they're not feeling as good."

And, for a variety of reasons, the Blues started to look a little poorly on Friday night.

This, we remind you, is also a team lugging around its share of baggage from past playoff failures. Over the last four years, Joel Quenneville's squad has a President's Trophy and has never finished with fewer than 99 points in the regular season. For all that success, however, the Blues have one final four appearance to show for those four years and you might say fans and ownership are starting to get impatient in the Gateway City.

"It's not so much what's going on in their heads as what's going on in ours," said Trevor Linden after Game 5. "We felt we got stronger tonight again."

"We've got a lot of faith in this room," said Klatt. "We did our job. We'll pat ourselves on the back and move on. End of story."

Or maybe it's the beginning of a new one.

Last edited:
Wow, that was quite a game! I said this series wasn't over. They hadn't lost 3 games all year, so why would they start last game? Once they were able to win that one, I had a feeling Vancouver would take it to game 7. Naslund pulled a rabit out of the hat with that first goal, and then he dominated with 3 points overall. Nice to see our defensemen step up the way they have been the last few games, too.

What's that sound? It sounds like a scurry of feet. Or maybe the agony of *de*feat. No, I think it's the sudden mad rush of Canuck fans back to the bandwagon - hey, Angel and Bear? :wink:

Next game should be a dandy!

Back
Top Bottom