Blues vs Canucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
paxetaurora said:
Al MacInnis is broken AGAIN?

I mean, I know he's about 75, but for heaven's sake.
Yeah, I kind of felt bad for him. He's a great guy and one of the best d-men ever to play. But, it does help the Canucks out immensely. I wonder how long he'll be out for?

The Wanderer said:
1 bad game, 1 good game.

I would like to see more efforts like tonight from them, I hope the Canucks win the Western Conference. but i still like the old jerseys...
Wanderer, one *pathetic* game, and one good game. Did you watch tonight's game? Do you guys get this series?

Oh, which old jersey do you like? I don't care for the mustard yellow so much. I liked the ones they had before their current one - the white version of the mustard yellow jersey logo.

Last edited:
I was watching a Blues game on TV once and the ref made a lousy call, and they showed the slow-mo replay of Al MacInnis going "What the FUCK?"

It was great. He's one of my favorites all-time.

Michael Griffiths said:
It was such a buzz. Love that Branden Reid kid. He's a jitterbug out there. Now if he could only anticipate!

word that to everyones mother! call a tee and tee, cause mommy is uh....ooohhh man... i suck :(

reid is awesome, i want to see him paired with bertuzzi and naslund for just a shift.

i cant see any of the next two games cause we have to see the maple leafs game. :angry:

paxetaurora said:
I was watching a Blues game on TV once and the ref made a lousy call, and they showed the slow-mo replay of Al MacInnis going "What the FUCK?"

It was great. He's one of my favorites all-time.
That's hilarious! They actually showed him saying it in slow mo? bwahaha!! I love hockey.

Yep. :yes:

He's completely awesome. An ex of mine was from Missouri and thus a huge Blues fan. He loved the joke about why Chris Pronger was the captain of the Blues. ;)

Gickies Gageeze said:

word that to everyones mother! call a tee and tee, cause mommy is uh....ooohhh man... i suck :(

reid is awesome, i want to see him paired with bertuzzi and naslund for just a shift.

i cant see any of the next two games cause we have to see the maple leafs game. :angry:
That's right, he plays out where you live, does he not? It was a funny story how he got called up to the playoffs. He was the bus on his way to Boston with the Manitoba Moose, and the coach (ex Canuck Stan Smyle ) tapped him on the shoulder telling him to get on the next flight to Vancouver. He had to get his butt over to the next city and catch a flight. Landed in Vancouver at 12:30 am, found a hotel, called his parents to let them know not to go to the Moose game, didn't get any sleep, and played the next night and ended up being the best Canuck (that says something as to how bad they played though!).

Coach Quenneville puts the "C" up on the highest shelf in the locker room, and says that the first guy to reach it down can be captain...

(Pronger=6'6" if I'm not mistaken.)

ya i heard about that story. i read every freaking canucks article at faceoff.com

great site. i sometimes comment to the stories as soylent green. do you?

I loved what John Garrett had to say on sportsnet regarding Vancouver: "Tonight they re-established themselves as Canada's team." It was meant to amuse, but hey, anything to piss off those Leaf fans. :wink:

Chizip - where art thou? Is this the secret to quietening you up? Defeat your Blues, and you become invisible? What kind of fan are you!! (joshing). But seriously, it is kind of amuzing that you're not creating havoc today. I think if St. Louis had won, we would have seen you here. Besides, we're still waiting for that post-game analysis! :wink:

Well I unfortunately had to go to a sorority formal at a different school last night and was not able to see the game. Needless to say my date was more than a little annoyed with the numerous references I was making to how I was missing the game.

I really havent read anything about the game yet or seen any highlights so I really don't have anything to say. It's a shame we lost but I didn't really expect to win both games in Vancouver anyway, so coming out 1-1 isnt too bad.

If MacInnis is out for too long that is a huge blow to the team. To whoever asked if Mac was any good this year, considering he and Lidstrom are the 2 frontrunners for the Norris, with many giving Mac the nod, I would have to say he has had a good year. He singlehandedly held the defense together that lost an MVP defenseman for the whole year. He is probably the person I respect the most in all of sports, as he always plays the right way and always gives it his all. Whoever said "MacInnis is broken again" is wrong in thinking he is not durable, he played major minutes and was there for every game the entire year. And has only had 2 major injuries in his 9 years in St. Louis, of which one was a stick to the eye, which is more bad luck than anything. Wihout MacInnins I honestly don't think this team would have even made the playoffs this year, and one of the major reasons I want to win the cup is so he can get one more before he retires.

But anyway, before you Canuck fans get too excited just realize momentum can change in an instant, I mean look how the momentum is supposedly on the Canucks side now after losing 6-0. Just remember we are still outscoring you 7-2 for the series, so try to keep things in persepective before saying how much we suck and we should eat shit.

But if the Blues can't get Cajenek, Stillman, and Macinnis back in the lineup the will really be in trouble, those are 3 very key players. I just wish we could get are full lineup on the ice once this year, it seems we have been cursed. Pronger out for the year, Jamal Mayers out for the year, Tkachuk and Weight and Cajanek out for much of the season, and of course having 7 goalies get a win due to injuries. These are the kind of things that make me think it's not the Blues year, which is sad because when fully healthy it's the most talented team the Blues have ever had. It's just a shame they cant ever be healthy.

Oh well, I'm still optimistic we can win the series, I think we all expected a long one, and it looks like it will be, should be a lot of fun.

Ah, the tone changes...

Was a great game, a great game. Chizip, even though you're team lost, I really wish for you're sake you saw it. Very entertaining affair. Try and catch Cloutier's save on the 2 on 0 if you can find it somewhere. If you register at tsn.com you can download a highlight clip of the game, which includes the save. Talk about highway robbery. Highlight of the night on several networks.

Chizip - I meant to say tsn.ca, *not* tsn.com. TSN.ca is The Sports Network, where as TSN.com is The Sporting News. My mistake. Not that you are going to watch it, but in case anyone else would like to.

haha, well im just a little tired today, long night last night.

but as im sure you can relate to, i absolutely hate losing, it's just a gut wrenching experience. you watch these guys and cheer them on all season, you really get to like the guys and its almost like they are your friends and/or family, and it just makes losing that much worse. and then to find out macinnis, my favorite player and the leader of our team is out, talk about getting kicked when you are down. if he can't come back i really dont expect to win the series, he is that important.

and i am all for good natured trash talking and being obnoxious, but i think people saying things like, eat shit blues, is a little over the line. as much as i give the canucks a hard time, i like them as a team and would never just insult them outright like that, or any team for that matter. i think its good to have fun, but also be civilized.

but anyway, im looking forward to the next game, cloutier is about due for another break down, so that will be fun.

Ah, don't worry about the "eat shit and die" comments. He's also just toying with ya! I'll be the first to admit this is the most even series in the playoffs; it could really go either way. Of course, I believe the Canucks are going to come out on top, as I know this team very well. You talk about getting to like the players almost as friends - well, think about my position: I used to serve these guys (the Canucks) almost everyday when I was working in Vancouver! Naslund, Jovo, the twins, Linden, Clouts, Brendan Morrison, Ohlund, and many others would come in. They were all really great, and Naslund and Linden were really cool. Brendan used to chat quite freely with all of us, even used to clean up after himself! Anyway, a good buch of guys, and our city (including yours truly) really feels like we know them.

Last edited:
Chizip said:
Whoever said "MacInnis is broken again" is wrong in thinking he is not durable, he played major minutes and was there for every game the entire year. And has only had 2 major injuries in his 9 years in St. Louis, of which one was a stick to the eye, which is more bad luck than anything. Wihout MacInnins I honestly don't think this team would have even made the playoffs this year, and one of the major reasons I want to win the cup is so he can get one more before he retires.

That was me. And I was just kidding. I don't follow the Blues super-closely anymore, so it seems like every time I hear about MacInnis, it's that he's hurt. Believe me, I love the guy--he's one of my all-time fave players, like I said--and I know he's an amazing D-man and team leader.

:hug: Al MacInnis :hug:

GAME: Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues.

PLAYOFF SERIES: Western Conference quarterfinal; tied 1-1.

TIME: Monday, 8:30 p.m. EDT.

The Vancouver Canucks won their first home playoff game Saturday since April 22, 1996.

Now, they look to improve their postseason luck on the road as they face the St. Louis Blues at the Savvis Center in the third game of their first-round series.

The Canucks, winless in a playoff series since 1995, won their first two playoff games last season, both of them on the road against the eventual champion Detroit Red Wings.

However, aside form those wins, the Canucks have not pulled off a playoff victory on an opponent's ice since April 18, 1996.

Dan Cloutier stopped 26 shots on Saturday, and Trent Klatt and Ed Jovanovski scored power-play goals as the Canucks evened the series.

"When Danny is playing like this, he's very tough to beat," Vancouver's Markus Naslund said. "It's nice to finally get a win and show ourselves that we can win, and we can play hard, and we can do those little things that you have to do in the playoffs."

The win was the first in four games for Cloutier, who finished the season 0-2-1. He came within 54.1 seconds of his first career playoff shutout before Pavol Demitra scored on a man advantage.

"I'm not going to lie to you, it would have been nice," said Cloutier, who has three postseason wins. "But wins are hard to get at this time of year, so we'll take it."

Klatt's goal at 3:33 of the first period ended a 160-minute goal-scoring drought for the Canucks, who took advantage of nine power-plays after being shut out 6-0 in Game 1. Vancouver also killed seven of eight St. Louis man-advantages, including a 48-second 5-on-3 in the first.

"Penalty killing is going to win this series," Cloutier said.

St. Louis goalie Chris Osgood turned away 23 shots, one game after becoming the first Blues goalie since Glenn Hall to record a shutout in his playoff debut.

Saturday's loss was especially costly for the Blues - captain Al MacInnis took a hard hit from Todd Bertuzzi and left the game. He is questionable for Monday's game.

"Al was examined and he has an upper body injury," Blues spokesman Frank Buonomo said Sunday.

MacInnis, a leader on the power play and penalty-killing units, leads the Blues in minutes this season and has 16 goals and 52 assists.

"Al's been our leader all year, and it's going to be tough for our team," forward Doug Weight said. "Al's the Norris Trophy winner in my mind and he's been our best player all year. It's going to hurt in every aspect of the game. But we have a lot of veterans in here and we will have to step up."

Chris Pronger agreed.

"It's obviously a big loss for us," he said. "He's a really integral part of our team and our leader, so we're going to have to find a way to fill in."

Blues Forward Cory Stillman, who hurt his foot in Game 1, and defenseman Jeff Finley, who missed Game 2 with an upper body injury, are also questionable for Game 3.

HOW THEY GOT HERE: Canucks - 104 points; 4th seed. Blues - 99 points; 5th seed.

PLAYOFF TEAM LEADERS: Canucks - Klatt and Jovanovski, 1 goal; Naslund, Sami Salo, Daniel Sedin and Bertuzzi, 1 assist; Klatt, Jovanovski, Naslund, Salo, Daniel Sedin and Bertuzzi, 1 point; Brendan Morrison, 10 PIM. Blues - Alexander Khavanov, 2 goals; Eric Boguniecki, Pronger and Demitra, 2 assists; Khavanov and Demitra, 3 points; Scott Mellanby, Dallas Drake and Barret Jackman, 6 PIM.

PLAYOFF SPECIAL TEAMS: Canucks - Power play: 12.5 percent (2 for 16). Penalty killing: 62.5 percent (13 for 17). Blues - Power play: 23.5 percent (4 for 17). Penalty killing: 87.5 percent (14 for 16).

GOALTENDERS: Canucks - Cloutier (1-1, 3.53); Alexander Auld (no appearances). Blues - Osgood (1-1, 1 SO, 1.01 GAA); Brent Johnson (no appearances).

REGULAR SEASON SERIES: Canucks, 2-1-1. The teams combined for 33 goals in four games. Vancouver went 2-0-1 in the first three meetings before the Blues posted a 6-4 victory at home March 18. Morrison had four goals and six points for the Canucks.

MacInnis' absence hurts, but the Blues can get through it

By Bernie Miklasz Post-Dispatch Sports Columnist
updated: 04/14/2003 05:41 AM

Sports Columnist Bernie Miklasz
Sound off in "Bernie's Press Box" forum.

The Blues have lost their top defenseman and team captain, Al MacInnis, for perhaps the duration of their first-round series with the Vancouver Canucks.

In other words, the Blues have the Canucks right where they want them.

If there's one thing we know for sure about the Blues, it's this: This team knows how to skate through adversity. They've been doing it all season, brushing aside significant injuries to Chris Pronger, Keith Tkachuk, Doug Weight, Petr Cajanek and Jamal Mayers to finish with a healthy total of 99 points.

The Blues have been getting slapped upside the head with bad luck all season. Why change anything now? That's why we call them the Blues.

"It's tough, but we've got a very deep team here," Weight told the Post-Dispatch after Game 2 in Vancouver. "A very good team. Missing Al is going to hurt in every aspect of our game. Al's been our leader all year and it's going to be tough for our team, but we have a lot of veterans in here who are going to step up."

MacInnis specializes in all areas. He's a cornerstone defenseman. A team leader of the highest classification. An emotional anchor who keeps teammates centered. His wicked slap shot is the No. 1 weapon, and the most feared element, of the Blues' power play. And he's superb on penalty killing.

How do you replace MacInnis?

By collectively reaching deeper. Hockey is a cruel and unforgiving sport, especially at this time of the year, when teams spill sweat and blood and tears in desperate pursuit of the Stanley Cup. MacInnis got his right shoulder crunched early in Game 2, and he won't return to the lineup anytime soon. But no one will feel sorry for the Blues. The Detroit Red Wings certainly showed no mercy last season, quickly eliminating the Blues after Pronger went out with a season-ending knee injury in Game 4 of the second-round series.

And remember 2001, when the Blues were about to face the Colorado Avalanche in the Western Conference finals? On the eve of the series, the Avs suddenly lost Peter Forsberg, who had surgery to remove a ruptured spleen. The Blues, their fans, and the St. Louis media assumed that the Avs were in deep snow. That the Blues had gained a substantial advantage. That the Avs were ripe for an overthrow. That the Blues ? finally ? would make it back to the Stanley Cup Finals.

The result: Colorado spanked the Blues in five games and proceeded to win the Stanley Cup. That's a fresh lesson for the Blues. Other players need to assert themselves and compensate for MacInnis' absence. The Blues need more from Weight, Valeri Bure, Martin Rucinsky, Alexander Khavanov. And if Jeff Finley, Matt Walker or Worcester recall Tom Koivisto gets the opportunity to replace MacInnis, he has to take advantage by playing well. This isn't optional.

Chris Osgood must maintain his encouraging play in goal. The Blues must continue to put the bottle cap on Vancouver's big scoring line. Pronger has been sharp and assertive so far; it was good to see his return to form in Games 1 and 2. Rookie defenseman Barret Jackman continues to inspire with his play. This kid is remarkable, and he's more valuable than ever. But the Canucks began targeting Jackman in Game 2, so he'll have to maintain his composure. That's true of the entire team; the Blues must tighten their discipline and cut down on stupid penalties.

How will the Blues cope with this new set of unfortunate circumstances? By taking control of this series with an emphatic victory over Vancouver tonight in Game 3 at Savvis Center.

The Canucks are brimming with confidence after tying the series 1-1 with their 2-1 win on Saturday night. The Blues have to send an instant message: MacInnis is gone, but we plan on being around for a long while.

uh oh, not a good sign for Canucks fan. Look who is predicting a Canuck's victory, and I think we can all agree he does not have a good track record for predicting victories.

canuckminister.jpg

Last edited:
That's hilarious.

Well, I don't mind the Canucks' chances at all: they won the season series with the Blues, one of those games beat them by a large margin; they have Ohlund back, they don't have to play against MacInnis, Cloutier is back to form, and they're tied in this series going into game 3, on the road, where the Canucks have been one of the best, if not THE best team this entire season. If they win both road games, they'll be up 3-1 in the series, and then look out. Should be a wild one tonight.

By the way, Chizip, how did you feel about Osgood's short side, "caught cheating," goal last game? That turned out to be the winning goal, too. *Was*good can't let those types of goals in if his team is to be successful in the playoffs.

Back
Top Bottom