Blues vs Canucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chizip:

1) GM Place is a brand new building as well, and also designed for concerts. The sound at the Elevation U2 concert was impeccable. Yet, mysteriously, hockey games are still really loud. Must be the fans.

2) So you're fans only come out when it "really matters"? Nice fans. Way to show the team spirit.

3) Ah, so it's okay to have bad fans when you have other sports teams to distract them. I see.

3 b) Oh, now somehow the noise levels are related to our overall lack of interest in basketball? That's an amazing correlation you've managed to draw there!

4) Oh yes, of course! It's not the fans who are making the noises, it's where the microphones are placed! I should have known all along. I find it such a bizarre coincidence then that the CBC mikes pick up all of these noises at *every* Canadian city, but never in the American ones. CBC must have different regulations when broadcasting anything over the 49th parallel. :wink:

oh yes, noise level to hockey knowledge is also a great correlation! im sure when scotty bowman goes to hockey games he doesn't hoot and holler like some jackass, does that mean he doesn't know much about hockey? unlikely.

Wow, I think that might be the first decent point you've made this entire thread! :wink: No, noise level does not necessarily signify hockey knowledge. But hockey knowledge does usually cause some noise level. Make of that what you will.

Last edited:
A great, well balanced viewpoint on game 7...

http://faceoff.com/nhl/news/story.html?f=/news/20030421/325140.html

Seventh heaven
Captain leads the way for Vancouver when his team needs him the most, once again displaying why he's the heart of the squad

By GARY MASON
Vancouver Sun

ST. LOUIS

It was like old times. There was the captain, spinning, holding up, dishing off and firing pucks past the enemy's goalie from impossible angles. There were the Sedins, duking, juking, making pretty plays of their own that were resulting in goals. There was Jovo, dashing, crashing, sneaking in from the blueline for shots the netminder would have no chance on.

Old times.

There was the home team, perplexed and stymied, unsure of what to do about a relentless offensive attack that was among the most dangerous in the National Hockey League all season. And finally, there were the Vancouver Canucks again, huffing and puffing, whacking and hacking, hanging on to their victory by the barest of threads.

Old times.

"I felt like we played a strong game again," Markus Naslund said after his team's thrilling 4-3 win over the Blues to even the series at three games apiece. "I think we're getting stronger as the series goes along. It's a little unfortunate they got those two power play goals late in the game which made it a little close but up to that point we had played a very solid game."

You're not kidding.

Now, you could debate who was feeling more pressure before the drop of the puck here Sunday. The Canucks were facing elimination, yes, and the Blues were not. So you'd assume Vancouver was under a little more heat than St. Louis, which was carrying a spare game in its back pocket. On other hand, the Canucks' universe couldn't be more clear -- win and they were going home for Game 7. Lose, and it was over. Simple.

What pressure?

The Blues had home advantage for this game and wanted to take advantage of that advantage.

One thing none of their players wanted was to be heading back for a final encounter in the Thunderdome, also known as GM Place. There the odds would not be in their favour. Here, for the last time in this series, they still were. That's why the Blues so desperately wanted to end it all now.

Whose pressure was greater?

If there was any concern that the emergence of Vancouver's top players in Game 5 Friday was merely a tease it would be dispelled early in Game 6.

Naslund, who could write a book about how playoff pressure can sometimes bend a person, did what he did best all season. Took advantage of a shot by Brendan Morrison and breakdown beside the St. Louis net to fire a puck off the foot of the same Blues defenceman who kicked a puck past Chris Osgood on Saturday.

Alexander Khavanov was becoming the toast of Vancouver.

Than it would be Mattias Ohlund's turn to take a starring role in this series. The big defenceman had rung a shot off the Blues goalpost midway through the first period that had to be reviewed it was so, well, goal-like. Undeterred, he would get another chance to take the same shot minutes later.

This time he wouldn't miss.

Naslund and Todd Bertuzzi drew assists on that one which meant Vancouver's Big Three had four points between them in one period.

Old times.

The Canucks took the game over in the second. Henrik Sedin would score on a Vancouver power play after some tough-minded work around the St. Louis net and then less than 10 minutes later Jovanovski would get his second of the series. How? By sneaking in from the point -- again with Vancouver up a man thanks to a Blues penalty -- and knocking in a rebound that Osgood kicked out to the side. By the end of the period the home crowd was booing its team's inability to get the puck out of its end and jeering Osgood for letting too many pucks get past him.

Old times.

Yes, the third was a little nerve-rattling for the Canucks thanks to man-advantage goals by Eric Boguniecki and Doug Weight but getting the tying goal proved impossible .

So where does all the pressure reside now? On both teams. Although the Canucks are returning home with all of the momentum. You can see this team's confidence growing like ivy.

The defence has once again become an integral part of the offensive attack. Mattias Ohlund's return has now truly steadied a defence that looked lost at times without him. And Dan Cloutier proved again that he is capable of making big save after big save when they're needed most.

His confidence is growing too.

"Now it's one game that will decide this series," said Naslund. "I think the start to game seven is going to be critical. But if we can come out like we did in this game and the last one I think we should be able to put ourselves in a good position.

"I feel like we're creating chances more often when we're out there and are seeing one another better. I knew it would come it was just a matter of a few things starting to go our way. I think the next one at home should be fun."

Game 7. GM Place. The joint should be rockin'.

Old times.

ooooh, someone's literally green with envy. You know it's not too late for you, right Chizip? There's still one game left in the series, still time for you to leave the dark side and join the good guys. The force is strong. The Empire of the Blues is about to crumble. I still believe that there is good in you Chizip. We welcome you with open arms.

well i guess since the blues dont even have a bandwagon, since the fans are with them through think and thin, if you want to jump on a bandwagon it has to be the Canuck's

A true hockey city...

http://canada.com/vancouver/story.asp?id=71573C4F-2E0D-40F6-B795-A129878FEEE7

'We knew they could do it': Canucks fans

Frank Luba
The Province

Monday, April 21, 2003

CREDIT: Ric Ernst, The Province

Canucks fans hit Robson Street last night, honking horns and waving flags in celebration of team's playoff push.

With the Vancouver Canucks leading the St. Louis Blues by a goal as the seconds ticked down in yesterday's NHL playoff, there was a bit of a hush in Milestone's Restaurant on Robson Street.

When the Canucks hung on to win 4-3, there was a loud cheer -- especially from a table shared by friends Christiane Low and Jane Picciano, both downtown residents and "huge fans" of the team.

"Our hearts were just racing," said Low, 27, as their heroes were pushed to the wall by the feisty Blues for the second game in a row. But neither doubted their squad.

"We knew they could do it," said Low.

"No question," added Picciano, 34.

Picciano knows the Canucks weren't perfect last night and made "a couple of bad mistakes but those will always happen."

"You have to learn from those. I think they're back [to playing well]."

Picciano knows her neighbourhood as well as she knows the Canucks. She said it wouldn't take long for the celebration to begin -- and it didn't.

At first it was just a car or truck or two with horns honking and flags waving. Within 15 minutes, though, there were cavalcades of vehicles crammed with fans shouting and honking their horns, waving flags and jerseys.

People on the streets started cheering back. -- including Lonnie Brezina, 27, and Mitch Waller, 26, who had watched the game with a crowd at the Sony Store on Granville Street.

"It was tense in the last few minutes," said Brezina between whooping cheers.

"It took a while to get the momentum but it's ours now," added Waller. "It's hockey time!"

They'll do it all again tomorrow for the seventh and deciding game.

"We'll be down here Tuesday night," said Waller.

"Along with another million people," grinned Brezina.

Among those travelling downtown will be New Westminster's Ron Williams, 37, who has got a bit of a tradition going.

He went to a Canucks game and the team lost. Williams, whose truck was proudly flying four Vancouver flags, subsequently went to the Shark Club twice and Vancouver won both times. You can guess where he's going to be tomorrow.

"The atmosphere is totally awesome," said Williams.

And the fans are totally excited.

Bwahaha! Okay, Chizip - this arguing is getting ridiculous! It's all very amusing, though. It's been quite funny, but I really should grab a hold of the day before it completely gets away. Talk to you tomorrow!

yes i have, here are the results:

canucks fans who stuck with them through and through: .03%

canucks fans who gave up on the team but now have come back: 74.97%

canucks fans who didnt even know their team is in the playoffs: 25%

That's funny, my polls are exactly the same for St. Louis fans. We must have switched them somehow. Everytime I watch the Vancouver local news, all I see are people honking horns and painted in Canucks paraphalania. You're figures must be for your team.

Back
Top Bottom