Blueberry Boat - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2004, 07:24 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:11 AM
Blueberry Boat

has anyone else heard the new Fiery Furnaces?

aside from the glowing pitchfork review (9.6) there have been many positive comments about it.

so I got it.

upon first listen it is just too crazy to really grasp or appreciate. But keep listening to it...it's like one of those crazy pixilated pictures you have to stare at for a long time until the 3D picture begins to take shape.
It is truely a fun album. Cartoonish sounds, bizarre arrangements. It can go from electronic to acoustic to indie rock all in one measure

anyway...I need to listen to it some more before much more can be said

Old 07-14-2004, 10:07 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:41 PM
I haven't heard the album yet, but I think mofo and I heard a lot of it live when we saw them in May. The Fiery Furnaces are lots of fun, and I wouldn't mind picking up this album. I'm thinking mofo may get it, too. All the great reviews are making it tough not to go buy it today, especially if anyone's got it on sale for cheap.

Old 07-15-2004, 11:40 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Here is a link to a UK only single from the Fiery Furnaces....

http://homepage.mac.com/sceldred/.Pu...ngle_Again.mp3
Old 07-15-2004, 12:42 PM   #4
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 12:41 AM
Picked it up yesterday. Listening to it now for the first time. I really like what I've heard so far. (I only have 1 track left)

HeartlandGirl and I really did hear lots of these songs at the concert. They're a fun band to see live, I recommend them. We really lucked out seeing them open for The Shins, 2 great bands. It was funny, I just wanted to pick up their first album this week...but this came out just on time. What I've heard of their first album is more standard, but still some good stuff too.

Favorites on Blueberry Boat so far:

Blueberry Boat
Chris Michaels
Chief Inspector Blanchflower
Spaniolated
Birdie Brain
Turning Round

(havent heard the last 1 yet....)
Old 07-15-2004, 04:09 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:41 AM
mmmmmmmmmmm blueberry...........

wait, isn'tthis the food thread???
Old 07-16-2004, 12:07 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:11 AM
no soup for you!
Old 07-17-2004, 10:18 AM   #7
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis Presley
Here is a link to a UK only single from the Fiery Furnaces....

http://homepage.mac.com/sceldred/.Pu...ngle_Again.mp3
Another thanks to another good song. You have become the MP3 king. I bow to no man but thee, my allegiance is yours.

PS - Here are 2 good Fiery Furnaces sites I found:

http://www.thefieryfurnaces.com/index.htm (the official site, updated and new)
http://blueberryboat.no3rdw.com/ (good fan site)
Old 07-17-2004, 12:12 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Wow, THANKS Basstrap! I usually come to this forum to check out what others are listening to (usually I end up liking what I come across, such as THE CAT EMPIRE and THE MUSIC), but this group...I downloaded a few songs and *really* like what I'm hearing so far ("Tropical Ice Land"; "Paw Paw Tree"; "Asthma Attack"; "Catamaran Man"; "Up in the North")!

Sooooooo, I'm thinking of picking up one of their albums, but I have to ask - whick one? Any input would be appreciable
Old 07-17-2004, 03:43 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Single Again = Thanks, EP.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:48 PM   #10
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Catman
Wow, THANKS Basstrap! I usually come to this forum to check out what others are listening to (usually I end up liking what I come across, such as THE CAT EMPIRE and THE MUSIC), but this group...I downloaded a few songs and *really* like what I'm hearing so far ("Tropical Ice Land"; "Paw Paw Tree"; "Asthma Attack"; "Catamaran Man"; "Up in the North")!

Sooooooo, I'm thinking of picking up one of their albums, but I have to ask - whick one? Any input would be appreciable
It looks like a lot of what you've downloaded is from the first album. I'd say it's more of an accessable album, where the new one is much more out there (but probably a lot more well done/mature). It's up to you, but I went with the new one (Blueberry Boat). I really dont think you'd be disappointed with either though.

It's odd how 'Single Again' (UK single) isnt even on either album. You think they would have put it on Blueberry Boat if they were going to release it as a single. I like how this band really does some 'not so standard' things with their music and business. They also released a single from their first album, 'Tropical Iceland', but they decided to release a COMPLETELY different version as a single than they had on the album. Pretty cool way to do things. I approve
Old 07-17-2004, 04:17 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

^^^ Thanks for the feedback! I was leaning towards "Gallowsbird's Bark" at first, and now I'll definately make it my first purchase of their's I really like the album cover, too
Old 07-30-2004, 07:57 AM   #12
Blue Meth Addict

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/presente...ryfurnaces.ram

10 min interview with Fiery Furnaces (just Eleanor and Matthew) from BBC. They also play Tropical Ice-Land and Evergreen (b-side from Single Again single) in the clip. (acoustic renditions by the two of them)

Courtesty of : http://blueberryboat.no3rdw.com/index.html

Great site (I transcribed the majority of the lyrics to Blueberry Boat there too....)
Old 07-30-2004, 11:05 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:41 AM
I've only got "Gallowsbird's Bark" for now, and I had no idea that it was a 2003 release since I got it after reading a review (in a WHO Weekly magazine of all places) only a few months ago. Great fun, that album; I'll definitely look up their next one.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:38 PM   #14
Blue Meth Addict

I was going to make a new thread, but I figured I'd only be talking to myself anyways.

The Fiery Furnaces just had an EP come out this Tuesday cleverly titled 'EP'. It's a collection of all their non-album tracks (b-sides, non-album singles, and studio versions of songs they've only played live), and it's extremely good in my opinion. It's really a lot more straight forward and accessable (for the Fiery Furnaces, at least) than the stuff on Blueberry Boat, but it's still got that edge. I really recommend the CD, it's being sold for quite cheap for being a 10 track CD (I got it for $6.99 brand new).

Here's a good review of the CD:
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record...naces/ep.shtml

And I just HAVE to quote the first paragraph of that review (I have similar feelings) :

"Okay, I'm done being a nice guy about this: If you don't like Blueberry Boat, I don't like you. It's no longer a matter of taste, other than the fact that I have good taste, whereas you, Fiery Furnaces-hater, do not. Don't have time to take in the full sweeping grandeur of Blueberry Boat's 80 minutes? I have no respect for your calendar priorities. To those who find their multiple-movement symphonies and keyboard-fetish arrangements overcooked, I feel only loathing, utter disdain, and approximately one tablespoon of pity! And for the few of you that cannot handle the frenetic uber-medley that is a Fiery Furnaces live set, I want to make provocative documentary films about your inept and offensive taste and take them on the festival circuit.

But if my depraved fanboy rants and threats don't convince you, this here spartanly-titled EP just might."

Old 01-13-2005, 08:16 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
And for the few of you that cannot handle the frenetic uber-medley that is a Fiery Furnaces live set, I want to make provocative documentary films about your inept and offensive taste and take them on the festival circuit.
Oh, I can handle it. They were terrific live.

Good review. This is going on my list. Especially since 'Single Again' and 'Tropical Iceland' are my two favorite Fiery Furnaces songs.

This was my favorite part of the review:

That it [EP] still manages to skirt the hazards of being a for-fan's-only release only deepens my stalker-love, not to mention the accompanying abhorrence for all who don't see the light. Honestly, how do you people wake up in the morning; you pathetic, mouth-breathing [the remaining 1,000 words of diatribe deleted by Pitchfork editors, who cordially apologize to the readership for Mr. Mitchum's unfortunate outburst -Ed.]