Blueberry Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
has anyone else heard the new Fiery Furnaces?

aside from the glowing pitchfork review (9.6) there have been many positive comments about it.

so I got it.

upon first listen it is just too crazy to really grasp or appreciate. But keep listening to it...it's like one of those crazy pixilated pictures you have to stare at for a long time until the 3D picture begins to take shape.
It is truely a fun album. Cartoonish sounds, bizarre arrangements. It can go from electronic to acoustic to indie rock all in one measure :wink:

anyway...I need to listen to it some more before much more can be said

I haven't heard the album yet, but I think mofo and I heard a lot of it live when we saw them in May. The Fiery Furnaces are lots of fun, and I wouldn't mind picking up this album. I'm thinking mofo may get it, too. All the great reviews are making it tough not to go buy it today, especially if anyone's got it on sale for cheap.

Last edited:
Picked it up yesterday. Listening to it now for the first time. I really like what I've heard so far. (I only have 1 track left)

HeartlandGirl and I really did hear lots of these songs at the concert. They're a fun band to see live, I recommend them. We really lucked out seeing them open for The Shins, 2 great bands. It was funny, I just wanted to pick up their first album this week...but this came out just on time. What I've heard of their first album is more standard, but still some good stuff too.

Favorites on Blueberry Boat so far:

Blueberry Boat
Chris Michaels
Chief Inspector Blanchflower
Spaniolated
Birdie Brain
Turning Round

(havent heard the last 1 yet....)

Last edited:
mmmmmmmmmmm blueberry...........

wait, isn'tthis the food thread???

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wow, THANKS Basstrap! I usually come to this forum to check out what others are listening to (usually I end up liking what I come across, such as THE CAT EMPIRE and THE MUSIC), but this group...I downloaded a few songs and *really* like what I'm hearing so far ("Tropical Ice Land"; "Paw Paw Tree"; "Asthma Attack"; "Catamaran Man"; "Up in the North")!

Sooooooo, I'm thinking of picking up one of their albums, but I have to ask - whick one? Any input would be appreciable :dance:

Last edited:
Catman said:
Wow, THANKS Basstrap! I usually come to this forum to check out what others are listening to (usually I end up liking what I come across, such as THE CAT EMPIRE and THE MUSIC), but this group...I downloaded a few songs and *really* like what I'm hearing so far ("Tropical Ice Land"; "Paw Paw Tree"; "Asthma Attack"; "Catamaran Man"; "Up in the North")!

Sooooooo, I'm thinking of picking up one of their albums, but I have to ask - whick one? Any input would be appreciable :dance:

It looks like a lot of what you've downloaded is from the first album. I'd say it's more of an accessable album, where the new one is much more out there (but probably a lot more well done/mature). It's up to you, but I went with the new one (Blueberry Boat). I really dont think you'd be disappointed with either though.

It's odd how 'Single Again' (UK single) isnt even on either album. You think they would have put it on Blueberry Boat if they were going to release it as a single. I like how this band really does some 'not so standard' things with their music and business. They also released a single from their first album, 'Tropical Iceland', but they decided to release a COMPLETELY different version as a single than they had on the album. Pretty cool way to do things. I approve :up:

^^^ Thanks for the feedback! I was leaning towards "Gallowsbird's Bark" at first, and now I'll definately make it my first purchase of their's :D I really like the album cover, too :drunk:

Last edited:
I've only got "Gallowsbird's Bark" for now, and I had no idea that it was a 2003 release since I got it after reading a review (in a WHO Weekly magazine of all places) only a few months ago. Great fun, that album; I'll definitely look up their next one.

I was going to make a new thread, but I figured I'd only be talking to myself anyways.

The Fiery Furnaces just had an EP come out this Tuesday cleverly titled 'EP'. It's a collection of all their non-album tracks (b-sides, non-album singles, and studio versions of songs they've only played live), and it's extremely good in my opinion. It's really a lot more straight forward and accessable (for the Fiery Furnaces, at least) than the stuff on Blueberry Boat, but it's still got that edge. I really recommend the CD, it's being sold for quite cheap for being a 10 track CD (I got it for $6.99 brand new).

Here's a good review of the CD:
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/f/fiery-furnaces/ep.shtml

And I just HAVE to quote the first paragraph of that review (I have similar feelings) :

"Okay, I'm done being a nice guy about this: If you don't like Blueberry Boat, I don't like you. It's no longer a matter of taste, other than the fact that I have good taste, whereas you, Fiery Furnaces-hater, do not. Don't have time to take in the full sweeping grandeur of Blueberry Boat's 80 minutes? I have no respect for your calendar priorities. To those who find their multiple-movement symphonies and keyboard-fetish arrangements overcooked, I feel only loathing, utter disdain, and approximately one tablespoon of pity! And for the few of you that cannot handle the frenetic uber-medley that is a Fiery Furnaces live set, I want to make provocative documentary films about your inept and offensive taste and take them on the festival circuit.

But if my depraved fanboy rants and threats don't convince you, this here spartanly-titled EP just might."

:wink: :up:

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
And for the few of you that cannot handle the frenetic uber-medley that is a Fiery Furnaces live set, I want to make provocative documentary films about your inept and offensive taste and take them on the festival circuit.

:lol: Oh, I can handle it. They were terrific live.

Good review. This is going on my list. Especially since 'Single Again' and 'Tropical Iceland' are my two favorite Fiery Furnaces songs. :up:

This was my favorite part of the review:

That it [EP] still manages to skirt the hazards of being a for-fan's-only release only deepens my stalker-love, not to mention the accompanying abhorrence for all who don't see the light. Honestly, how do you people wake up in the morning; you pathetic, mouth-breathing [the remaining 1,000 words of diatribe deleted by Pitchfork editors, who cordially apologize to the readership for Mr. Mitchum's unfortunate outburst -Ed.]

I wanted to comment on this concert before I completely forgot about it (though I realize I'm doing this for virtually no one but myself).

I saw The Fiery Furnaces again last month (April 23 in SLC), and it was amazing. The opening band, Dios (or Dios Malos as they are now seemingly called) was extremely good. I'd like to pick their album up if I can find it sometime. Now to the headliner, the FF's performance/setlist was completely different from how it was done a year previous. This time, they did most of the show in different huge medley segments. For example, their first "song" was a medley of a huge amount of their songs that lasted a whopping 35 minutes before they took a break!!! They would mix in choruses and verses of certain songs, then move into other songs, then back to the original, then sing a chorus of one song, then do half of another song, then do most all of one song, then sing a few lines from one song, then immediately go into another song. Many of these versions of the songs sounded nothing like the music in the original recorded versions, but still worked so well. The amazing thing was that it was in no way chaotic, every segue into another song was completly planned and performed with absolute precision.

They then played a few songs all the way through but still in medley form, including some brand new songs (not surprising considering they supposedly have 2 to 3 albums of material they've been working on, including an album with their grandmother which Eleanor even hinted at jokingly). Then the drummer and bassist/keyboard player left the stage for a few songs and then the bro/sis combo of Eleanor and Matt Friedberg played/sang a few songs acoustically or with just one piano. They threw in a new one in here too, which I remember really liking. The rest of the band came back out and they took some requests and played a few other songs to finish the show up.

I was standing front and center for the whole show, about 5 feet from the stage. Everyone around me was having a great time and dancing and rocking out (after one song, our section was congratulated on our awesome dancing by Eleanor). I felt proud of myself for knowing a good deal of lyrics during the show, especially since most of the songs were played in such a strange manner. I remember having a very strange/surreal moment where I was singing along to one of the songs (while pumping a fist in the air) and I noticed Eleanor was staring right at me as she sang (probably surprised someone was actually singing along) :wink:

I was highly entertained by the show, and highly impressed by how they pulled off those huge medleys. They performed the vast majority of their songs, however briefly, at the show. I was highly entertained by their drummer, who was going insane the whole time. I noticed he (and the rest of the band) was highly entertained by a guy standing in front of me who was dancing in hands down the most bizarre manner I've ever seen. I even saw the drummer and Eleanor start laughing at one point in time.

I'd like to again quote the comments in the Pitchfork review of The Fiery Furnaces EP to finish my concert review:

And for the few of you that cannot handle the frenetic uber-medley that is a Fiery Furnaces live set, I want to make provocative documentary films about your inept and offensive taste and take them on the festival circuit.

:up:

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:

:up:

That's such a terrific quote.

I'd love to see them again. I'm sure I'd appreciate them so much more the second time around.

definitely takes a bit to get into.. i have given it a bit and sorta gotten into it

my baby's got a stick stuck out her beak!

Viva Fiery Furnaces!

:bow:

If anyone is thinking of checking out this band, do it NOW! Go buy EP and give 'em a go. I just got back from runnings errands while listening to EP, and it's just such a nice little CD to have. Fun and crazy. 'Smelling Cigarettes' is a song of pure genius.

That is all.

I wasn't at all blown away by it. I do love chief inspector and spaniolated, though. :drool:

YAY!!!111!1111!!!!111!

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-07/27.shtml

The Fiery Furnaces Preparing Two LPs for Release
Rob Kleckner reports:
Months ago, the Fiery Furnaces were busy working away on a double album with the title Garfield El, which was due out this summer. It was pushed back. They were also supposed to tour over the summer. Cancelled. Then nobody heard from them for a long time. Now, seems like Rough Trade has been able to round up the siblings Friedberger and pull some info out of them.

There will now no longer be a 2xCD Fiery Furnaces album, but two separate records that will be released within several months of each other. First up is Rehearsing My Choir, due October 25. This is the album that features assistance from Matt and Eleanor's grandmother, Olga Sarantos. Following that, tentatively scheduled for release in early 2006, will be Bitter Tea. TheFieryFurnaces.net reports that "while Bitter Tea is fully finished, the delay is due to the band still working on Rehearsing My Choir." So...uh...why don't they release the finished album now and the other one later? As always, expanded details are forthcoming.

Now, to prove they still exist: The Fiery Furnaces are already confirmed to play Austin City Limits in September, and Iceland's Airwaves Festival in October. Rough Trade says "the band will be announcing a U.S. tour during September and October shortly for those without passports or unlimited credit."

It was of those albums Pitchfork praises so highly, yet did nothing for me. I liked a couple songs, but nothing to write home about.

Cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep!

This is good news. Can't wait to find out what's up with this 'grandmother assistance.' :eeklaugh:

Ok, here's more information:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-08/02.shtml#fieryfurnaces

The Fiery Furnaces Announce Tour, Tracklist

Kati Llewellyn reports:
Regardless of whether or not the press-jerking was intentional, the Fiery Furnaces seem to be working out of an instruction manual on how to receive publicity. Step one: Announce recording of double album. Step two: Divide double album into two separate ones, push back release dates. Step three: Announce tour. Step four: Cancel tour. Step five: Keep everybody in the dark for a while. Step six: Drop an information bomb packed full of goodies that will make people talk.

The formula seems to be a success because, hey, here we are! Last week, we filled you in on the Furnaces’ latest plans: Release Rehearsing My Choir, an album featuring Matt and Eleanor's grandmother, Olga Sarantos, on October 25. Tentatively schedule release of Bitter Tea for early 2006. Play Austin City Limits and Iceland's Airwaves Festival. Hint at upcoming tour dates.

And they’re not stopping there. Not only did the tour dates come on in, but also the tracklist for Rehearsing My Choir. Since song titles usually don't get canceled, we’re pretty sure about this:

Rehearsing My Choir tracklist:

01 Garfield El
02 The Wayward Granddaughter
03 Candymakers Knife in My Handbag
04 We Wrote Letters Everyday
05 4823 22nd St
06 Guns Under the Counter
07 Seven Silver Curses
08 Though Let's Be Fair
09 Slavin' Away
10 Rehearsing My Choir
11 Does It Remind You of When?

As for these...well, we're crossing our fingers:

09-20 Athens, GA - 40 Watt Club
09-21 New Orleans, LA - One Eyed Jacks
09-23 Houston, TX - Mary Jane's Fat Cat
09-24 Austin, TX - Austin City Limits
09-28 Tucson, AZ - Solar Culture Center
09-29 Los Angeles, CA - Troubadour
09-30 San Francisco, CA - Café Du Nord
10-01 San Francisco, CA - Café Du Nord
10-02 Portland, OR - Aladdin Theater
10-03 Seattle, WA - Neumo's
10-06 Minneapolis, MN - Fine Line Music Cafe
10-07 Chicago, IL - Logan Square Auditorium
10-08 Columbus, OH - Wexner Center
10-10 Toronto, ON - Lee's Palace
10-12 Boston, MA - Museum of Fine Arts
10-13 Philadelphia, PA - First Unitarian Church
10-14 New York, NY - Town Hall
10-15 Washington, DC - Black Cat

No Utah date, but I can cope. It's Crystal Clear that I'm excited for this. :up:

Damn, you guys really know how to make a girl think about going to the store in her pajamas.

Back
Top Bottom