Blueberry Boat - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2005, 11:09 PM   #16
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 11:20 PM
I wanted to comment on this concert before I completely forgot about it (though I realize I'm doing this for virtually no one but myself).

I saw The Fiery Furnaces again last month (April 23 in SLC), and it was amazing. The opening band, Dios (or Dios Malos as they are now seemingly called) was extremely good. I'd like to pick their album up if I can find it sometime. Now to the headliner, the FF's performance/setlist was completely different from how it was done a year previous. This time, they did most of the show in different huge medley segments. For example, their first "song" was a medley of a huge amount of their songs that lasted a whopping 35 minutes before they took a break!!! They would mix in choruses and verses of certain songs, then move into other songs, then back to the original, then sing a chorus of one song, then do half of another song, then do most all of one song, then sing a few lines from one song, then immediately go into another song. Many of these versions of the songs sounded nothing like the music in the original recorded versions, but still worked so well. The amazing thing was that it was in no way chaotic, every segue into another song was completly planned and performed with absolute precision.

They then played a few songs all the way through but still in medley form, including some brand new songs (not surprising considering they supposedly have 2 to 3 albums of material they've been working on, including an album with their grandmother which Eleanor even hinted at jokingly). Then the drummer and bassist/keyboard player left the stage for a few songs and then the bro/sis combo of Eleanor and Matt Friedberg played/sang a few songs acoustically or with just one piano. They threw in a new one in here too, which I remember really liking. The rest of the band came back out and they took some requests and played a few other songs to finish the show up.

I was standing front and center for the whole show, about 5 feet from the stage. Everyone around me was having a great time and dancing and rocking out (after one song, our section was congratulated on our awesome dancing by Eleanor). I felt proud of myself for knowing a good deal of lyrics during the show, especially since most of the songs were played in such a strange manner. I remember having a very strange/surreal moment where I was singing along to one of the songs (while pumping a fist in the air) and I noticed Eleanor was staring right at me as she sang (probably surprised someone was actually singing along)

I was highly entertained by the show, and highly impressed by how they pulled off those huge medleys. They performed the vast majority of their songs, however briefly, at the show. I was highly entertained by their drummer, who was going insane the whole time. I noticed he (and the rest of the band) was highly entertained by a guy standing in front of me who was dancing in hands down the most bizarre manner I've ever seen. I even saw the drummer and Eleanor start laughing at one point in time.

I'd like to again quote the comments in the Pitchfork review of The Fiery Furnaces EP to finish my concert review:

And for the few of you that cannot handle the frenetic uber-medley that is a Fiery Furnaces live set, I want to make provocative documentary films about your inept and offensive taste and take them on the festival circuit.

Old 05-27-2005, 11:35 PM   #17
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:20 PM
The Fiery Furnaces are cooler than everything.

Old 05-27-2005, 11:41 PM   #18
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
The Fiery Furnaces are cooler than everything.
Fiery Furnaces
Old 05-28-2005, 12:24 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo

And for the few of you that cannot handle the frenetic uber-medley that is a Fiery Furnaces live set, I want to make provocative documentary films about your inept and offensive taste and take them on the festival circuit.

That's such a terrific quote.

I'd love to see them again. I'm sure I'd appreciate them so much more the second time around.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:14 PM   #20
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:20 AM
definitely takes a bit to get into.. i have given it a bit and sorta gotten into it
Old 06-20-2005, 03:47 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

my baby's got a stick stuck out her beak!

Viva Fiery Furnaces!

If anyone is thinking of checking out this band, do it NOW! Go buy EP and give 'em a go. I just got back from runnings errands while listening to EP, and it's just such a nice little CD to have. Fun and crazy. 'Smelling Cigarettes' is a song of pure genius.

That is all.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:03 PM   #22
Refugee

I wasn't at all blown away by it. I do love chief inspector and spaniolated, though.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:56 PM   #23
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by kakvox
I wasn't at all blown away by it.
Don't worry, that doesn't mean you're weird.

It just means you have no soul.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:16 PM   #24
Blue Meth Addict

YAY!!!111!1111!!!!111!

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-07/27.shtml

The Fiery Furnaces Preparing Two LPs for Release
Rob Kleckner reports:
Months ago, the Fiery Furnaces were busy working away on a double album with the title Garfield El, which was due out this summer. It was pushed back. They were also supposed to tour over the summer. Cancelled. Then nobody heard from them for a long time. Now, seems like Rough Trade has been able to round up the siblings Friedberger and pull some info out of them.

There will now no longer be a 2xCD Fiery Furnaces album, but two separate records that will be released within several months of each other. First up is Rehearsing My Choir, due October 25. This is the album that features assistance from Matt and Eleanor's grandmother, Olga Sarantos. Following that, tentatively scheduled for release in early 2006, will be Bitter Tea. TheFieryFurnaces.net reports that "while Bitter Tea is fully finished, the delay is due to the band still working on Rehearsing My Choir." So...uh...why don't they release the finished album now and the other one later? As always, expanded details are forthcoming.

Now, to prove they still exist: The Fiery Furnaces are already confirmed to play Austin City Limits in September, and Iceland's Airwaves Festival in October. Rough Trade says "the band will be announcing a U.S. tour during September and October shortly for those without passports or unlimited credit."
Old 07-27-2005, 06:56 PM   #25
Refugee

It was of those albums Pitchfork praises so highly, yet did nothing for me. I liked a couple songs, but nothing to write home about.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:58 PM   #26
Blue Meth Addict

Yay, broken record!
Old 07-28-2005, 12:46 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep!

This is good news. Can't wait to find out what's up with this 'grandmother assistance.'
Old 08-02-2005, 07:27 PM   #28
Blue Meth Addict

Ok, here's more information:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/0...#fieryfurnaces

The Fiery Furnaces Announce Tour, Tracklist

Kati Llewellyn reports:
Regardless of whether or not the press-jerking was intentional, the Fiery Furnaces seem to be working out of an instruction manual on how to receive publicity. Step one: Announce recording of double album. Step two: Divide double album into two separate ones, push back release dates. Step three: Announce tour. Step four: Cancel tour. Step five: Keep everybody in the dark for a while. Step six: Drop an information bomb packed full of goodies that will make people talk.

The formula seems to be a success because, hey, here we are! Last week, we filled you in on the Furnaces’ latest plans: Release Rehearsing My Choir, an album featuring Matt and Eleanor's grandmother, Olga Sarantos, on October 25. Tentatively schedule release of Bitter Tea for early 2006. Play Austin City Limits and Iceland's Airwaves Festival. Hint at upcoming tour dates.

And they’re not stopping there. Not only did the tour dates come on in, but also the tracklist for Rehearsing My Choir. Since song titles usually don't get canceled, we’re pretty sure about this:

Rehearsing My Choir tracklist:

01 Garfield El
02 The Wayward Granddaughter
03 Candymakers Knife in My Handbag
04 We Wrote Letters Everyday
05 4823 22nd St
06 Guns Under the Counter
07 Seven Silver Curses
08 Though Let's Be Fair
09 Slavin' Away
10 Rehearsing My Choir
11 Does It Remind You of When?

As for these...well, we're crossing our fingers:

09-20 Athens, GA - 40 Watt Club
09-21 New Orleans, LA - One Eyed Jacks
09-23 Houston, TX - Mary Jane's Fat Cat
09-24 Austin, TX - Austin City Limits
09-28 Tucson, AZ - Solar Culture Center
09-29 Los Angeles, CA - Troubadour
09-30 San Francisco, CA - Café Du Nord
10-01 San Francisco, CA - Café Du Nord
10-02 Portland, OR - Aladdin Theater
10-03 Seattle, WA - Neumo's
10-06 Minneapolis, MN - Fine Line Music Cafe
10-07 Chicago, IL - Logan Square Auditorium
10-08 Columbus, OH - Wexner Center
10-10 Toronto, ON - Lee's Palace
10-12 Boston, MA - Museum of Fine Arts
10-13 Philadelphia, PA - First Unitarian Church
10-14 New York, NY - Town Hall
10-15 Washington, DC - Black Cat

No Utah date, but I can cope. It's Crystal Clear that I'm excited for this.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:44 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

The Tucson show is midweek.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:08 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Damn, you guys really know how to make a girl think about going to the store in her pajamas.