Blue October, anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VintagePunk

Blue Crack Distributor
I became aware of this band about a month or so ago, when Zayra Alvarez, a Rock Star: Supernova contestant covered their song Razorblade on the show (apparently, her boyfriend manages them). Within days, I started noticing their current single Hate Me all over radio. I was amazed to find that these guys have been around for 10 years!

You can listen to 11 of their tracks spanning 5 of their albums here:

http://blueoctoberfan.com/foiled/audio.php

Stand-outs for me: Razorblade, Drilled a Wire Through My Cheek, Clumsy Card House, Independently Happy, Calling You. Hate Me's good too, but it's pretty emo, and from what I've heard, not terribly representative of their sound.

:drool:

Last edited:
There are already threads on them in the band index (or there should be). I know HG loves them and has seen them numerous times.

I don't think I'd call them emo at all, then again I haven't heard a ton of their stuff. I'd say they're far more comparable to late '90's mainstream alt rock (such as Live).

Use to see these guys a lot when they were still a local band in Dallas...

They're alright, not really my thing, I agree with u2popmofo - it's just mainstream 90's alt rock.

the only thing i heard was the chorus of "hate me" (and i hadn't heard it until yesterday). lyrically, that's as emo as it gets. i didn't stick around long enough to develop a real opinion on the music.

I think Into the Ocean is a pretty cool tune but I've only ever heard that & Hate Me. Apparently, those aren't representative of the band's regular sound, though, so maybe I don't like them as much as I think. :shrug: :)

If you prefer something heavier/darker, try Razorblade. That's my favourite. I don't mind Hate Me, but of the songs I listed, that's the one I like least. It's probably most commercially accessible, though. Understandable, I guess, for a band that's trying to break out.

The thing with Blue October is this--their albums are entirely schizophrenic (and I mean that in the best possible way with all due respect to Justin, who has battled with mental illness).

Just looking at the songs on History for Sale, you've got:

Ugly Side - A haunting track with some beautiful melodies and a kickass beat

Razorblade - A vicious invective against an abusive relative

Calling You - A sweet, upbeat love song

Sexual Powertrip - A big F YOU to an ex-lover

Come In Closer - The sexiest song they've ever recorded; again, haunting and enchanting

Amazing - An acoustic, desperate love song

Their entire catalogue is this way. Whatever kind of music you like, they've got a song that will speak to you. "X Amount of Words" sounds like someone needs to do a remix of it, it's so danceable, and Justin is THIS close to rapping on it. "18th Floor Balcony" is such a beautiful song about that first night alone with someone new; I'll never forget hearing it live before it was released. I could go on and on.

So I guess I would say this. First and foremost, Blue October are NOT emo. They're a rock band. And the emo tag has been applied to everyone but Cher at this point, so it's entirely pointless. If you like the Blue October songs you've heard, definitely check them out. I especially recommend History for Sale, though Consent to Treatment and Foiled are both worthy purchases as well. But be prepared for some surprises--if there's one thing Blue October is not, it's repetitive. And if you ever get a chance to see them live, GO. Justin Furstenfeld puts his soul out there in every show. Every friend I've ever taken to a Blue show has left completely impressed.

And for what it's worth, Foiled came out in March. And it's still in the top 20 albums at my local store here in Phoenix, six months later.

Blue October :up:

Last edited:
HeartlandGirl said:
The thing with Blue October is this--their albums are entirely schizophrenic (and I mean that in the best possible way with all due respect to Justin, who has battled with mental illness).

Just looking at the songs on History for Sale, you've got:

Ugly Side - A haunting track with some beautiful melodies and a kickass beat

Razorblade - A vicious invective against an abusive relative

Calling You - A sweet, upbeat love song

Sexual Powertrip - A big F YOU to an ex-lover

Come In Closer - The sexiest song they've ever recorded; again, haunting and enchanting

Amazing - An acoustic, desperate love song

Their entire catalogue is this way. Whatever kind of music you like, they've got a song that will speak to you. "X Amount of Words" sounds like someone needs to do a remix of it, it's so danceable, and Justin is THIS close to rapping on it. "18th Floor Balcony" is such a beautiful song about that first night alone with someone new; I'll never forget hearing it live before it was released. I could go on and on.

So I guess I would say this. First and foremost, Blue October are NOT emo. They're a rock band. And the emo tag has been applied to everyone but Cher at this point, so it's entirely pointless. If you like the Blue October songs you've heard, definitely check them out. I especially recommend History for Sale, though Consent to Treatment and Foiled are both worthy purchases as well. But be prepared for some surprises--if there's one thing Blue October is not, it's repetitive. And if you ever get a chance to see them live, GO. Justin Furstenfeld puts his soul out there in every show. Every friend I've ever taken to a Blue show has left completely impressed.

And for what it's worth, Foiled came out in March. And it's still in the top 20 albums at my local store here in Phoenix, six months later.

Blue October :up:

Exactly. That's what struck me from the limited listening I've done, their diversity. I appreciate that in a band. I can't stand listening to bands that essentially record the same song over and over. As you pointed out, the difference between a song like Razorblade, and a song like Calling You? Night and day. This is the first new (to me) group I've been enthused about in a couple of years. I'm surprised that they're just now getting mainstream attention.

Thanks for expressing it so much better than I did. :up:

Back
Top Bottom