Blubberhouses, Yorkshire, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
*listens to Paint It, Black*

Oh HELL no.

Gawd, that's not even just Bono doing badly. That's the whole goddamn band's fault. Mick Jagger should, like--fuck if I know. Something evil.

Edge wasn't kidding when he said they were a shit cover band. :yuck:

After this, I can't wait for your reaction to Fortunate Son! :lol:

I don't think U2 have always been that bad at covers. See: Dancing Barefoot, Lovetown Watchtower, Lovetown Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Night And Day.

Funny how those are all from the same era ...

Reggo, how and why did you pay for Ax's premium, simply for some bad music oversharing?
Precisely. He was talking about bad music stuffs and I said i'd pay for his premium if he'd admit something embarrassing. Got him to admit 3 things. It was awesome. I paid for A membership, then had to PM Sicy to ask her to tell Andy to apply it to Axver.

I don't think U2 have always been that bad at covers. See: Dancing Barefoot, Lovetown Watchtower, Lovetown Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Night And Day.

Very funny :eyebrow:

No No No no nononononononono!!!!

PHAIL, BONO. EPIC PHAIL COLLINS. :tsk:

Dear Bono,

YOU DO NOT HAVE THE VOICE TO SING SOUTHERN ROCK. SO STOP IT.

Thank you.

My love to Adam,
Reggo.

Night and Day is a poor interpretation regardless of its importance in their catalogue, and Watchtower still has nothing on better covers, even if it tore things up live. But I'll agree that things were better then, of course.

But I guess U2's policy on covers has never been "dudes let's make some KRAZY SHIT out of this, like what NOBODY would EVER exPECT" and more like "hey there's a crowd let's play c'mon everybody and I will swear in it".

Night and Day is a poor interpretation regardless of its importance in their catalogue, and Watchtower still has nothing on better covers, even if it tore things up live. But I'll agree that things were better then, of course.

I admittedly haven't actually heard another version of Night And Day, but considerably enjoy U2's version. As for Watchtower, I've heard both Dylan and Hendrix's versions, and as heretical as this is to say, Lovetown Watchtower is not only better than them, it fucking owns them.

Larry's drums are the only thing that sound remotely like the original on "Paint It, Black". "Fortunate Son" is a catastrofuck that, if John Fogerty were dead, he'd be spinning in his grave.

I admittedly haven't actually heard another version of Night And Day, but considerably enjoy U2's version. As for Watchtower, I've heard both Dylan and Hendrix's versions, and as heretical as this is to say, Lovetown Watchtower is not only better than them, it fucking owns them.
:madwife: Nothing owns Hendrix :tsk:

No No No no nononononononono!!!!

PHAIL, BONO. EPIC PHAIL COLLINS. :tsk:

Dear Bono,

YOU DO NOT HAVE THE VOICE TO SING SOUTHERN ROCK. SO STOP IT.

Thank you.

My love to Adam,
Reggo.

:lmao:

What really baffles me is it's like their heart just isn't in the cover anyway. I can't figure out why they bothered or why they released it, especially as there were other songs, original songs, floating around that they could have used as WGRYWH b-sides if they were desperate.

:lmao:

What really baffles me is it's like their heart just isn't in the cover anyway. I can't figure out why they bothered or why they released it, especially as there were other songs, original songs, floating around that they could have used as WGRYWH b-sides if they were desperate.
At least Edge is TRYING on FS. Can't say the same for Paint It Black. I mean, he didn't even do the solo at the intro right! And it's not that hard!

But if you guys wanna hear a REALLY bad cover, like on par with these, I could always send you this shit version of "My Generation" Green Day did. I hope Keith Moon came back from the dead and murdered John Kiffmeyer.

But if you guys wanna hear a REALLY bad cover, like on par with these, I could always send you this shit version of "My Generation" Green Day did. I hope Keith Moon came back from the dead and murdered John Kiffmeyer.

Worse than Limp Bizkit's Behind Blue Eyes? Because it seems to me that's got to be the worst Who cover ever simply by virtue of being done by LIMP BIZKIT.

U2's cover of Night and Day is superb in my hardly humble opinion. Bono adds a desperate menace to the lyric (geez, how that's missing these days.. :sigh: ). And I love the original, by Fred Astaire. I love all Fred and Ginger and won't have a word against them.

And what the hell is WGRYWH again?

OK, so, update on the purity tests. I've split the earlier draft into a revision of the original test and a Superthread-specific test. The revised original currently has 77 questions, aiming for 100, and the Superthread test has 41 questions, aiming for 50.

Worse than Limp Bizkit's Behind Blue Eyes? Because it seems to me that's got to be the worst Who cover ever simply by virtue of being done by LIMP BIZKIT.
That was pretty awful, yes, but My Generation is just a fucking mess. I won't even have it on my iPod, it's that bad.

BTW, I get about a minute into U2's PIB and I stop it, enraged. I don't think i'll be able to finish this one.

Damn you, Axver. Beat me to it.

Oh God. What has been heard cannot be unheard.

OK, so, update on the purity tests. I've split the earlier draft into a revision of the original test and a Superthread-specific test. The revised original currently has 77 questions, aiming for 100, and the Superthread test has 41 questions, aiming for 50.
:up: Sounds good. I hated that my Superthread purity score was only 7 point slower than my life purity score.

I think, Ax, that you have to hear other versions of Night and Day to come to a realisation why U2's version isn't that great. It could have been better. It goes too long, things are missed out on and Bono pointlessly changes a few of Cole Porter's lyrics - isn't that a sin? I may have said that before. But I have no problem if someone likes earlier versions and U2's as well, of course. I'm not Screwtape.

Not only that, but it doesn't even have the best part of the song in it. :| Perhaps that's a good thing, that we wouldn't have to hear Fred Durst's interpretation of it.

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses.

Part of the reason I abbreviate it is that I fucking hate "Gonna".
Ah, don't think I bothered buying that single. That and Mysterious Ways with its 48 fucking remixes.

Now that I've caught up iwth the beginning of the thread and all those Brooce pictures, I'm out. Night folks :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom