Blubberhouses, Yorkshire, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_2124.jpg

A Qantas 737-800 leaving Auckland.

I was a bit miffed I didn't get to the airport fast enough to catch it coming in.

Even just getting more than sky in the background of a shot would suit me fine.

I could handle doing some trainspotting...it would be nice to photograph something other than planes.

I imagine that there would be some great spots around Evans Bay that would really suit photographing planes on the northern approach with the harbour in the background.

Heh, and I could handle some planespotting since I really need more photos of things that don't have flanged wheels.

On an unrelated note, honey barbecue sausages are cooking. :drool:

See, I wish my camera could just take better dusk shots.

The lights look good and dramatic, but it's no good if the rest of the image is as blurry as fuck.

Heh, my problem is that I take these photos that look fucking fantastic in a thumbnail ... then you open it up and it's just shitloads of digital noise everywhere. Also, my camera could never handle planespotting because its zoom is the pits. Definitely going to get a better one soon, because I could really use the zoom in a few trainspotting locations I know.

OK, I mentioned this picture earlier - I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. It's a Comeng running through Royal Park.

s640x480

I imagine that there would be some great spots around Evans Bay that would really suit photographing planes on the northern approach with the harbour in the background.

Heh, and I could handle some planespotting since I really need more photos of things that don't have flanged wheels.

On an unrelated note, honey barbecue sausages are cooking. :drool:

I'm just wondering what kind of foot traffic abilities there are on the Evans Bay side of the airport.

If it had more significant traffic it would be a fucking brilliant airport for planespotting.

Please email me some honey barbecue sausages. I only had one sausage and I wish I'd had a second one.

Heh, my problem is that I take these photos that look fucking fantastic in a thumbnail ... then you open it up and it's just shitloads of digital noise everywhere. Also, my camera could never handle planespotting because its zoom is the pits. Definitely going to get a better one soon, because I could really use the zoom in a few trainspotting locations I know.

I've noticed just that. A lot of my photos are looking awesome in the photobastard preview, but it goes to hell as soon as I zoom in or post it...

If you find the right spot at an airport, zoom isn't completely vital. It helps, though. Especially with the OMGZ CAMERAZ WILL SHOOT DOWN PLANEZ!!!11 security brigade.

Incidentally, I was thinking about that the other day. A potential terrorist is going to drive past the airport and snap pictures from a moving car. They aren't going to get out and draw attention to themselves.

I'm just wondering what kind of foot traffic abilities there are on the Evans Bay side of the airport.

If it had more significant traffic it would be a fucking brilliant airport for planespotting.

Assuming I haven't fucked up my bays (if I'm not grossly mistaken, Evans Bay is at the northern end of the airport and is an inlet of Port Nick, not Cook Strait), there's a nice, wide footpath along the western side on the road around to Oriental Bay. Not sure just what potential there is right underneath the flight path at the northern end of the runway, though.

Hate to think how you'd cope with the traffic of somewhere like Blenheim. :wink:

imgad

Clearly they haven't learnt how to use apostrophes like the pros, though ...

Assuming I haven't fucked up my bays (if I'm not grossly mistaken, Evans Bay is at the northern end of the airport and is an inlet of Port Nick, not Cook Strait), there's a nice, wide footpath along the western side on the road around to Oriental Bay. Not sure just what potential there is right underneath the flight path at the northern end of the runway, though.

Hate to think how you'd cope with the traffic of somewhere like Blenheim. :wink:

Should be worth a try.

I'm almost positive Lyall Bay is the one to the south.

I've noticed just that. A lot of my photos are looking awesome in the photobastard preview, but it goes to hell as soon as I zoom in or post it...

If you find the right spot at an airport, zoom isn't completely vital. It helps, though. Especially with the OMGZ CAMERAZ WILL SHOOT DOWN PLANEZ!!!11 security brigade.

Incidentally, I was thinking about that the other day. A potential terrorist is going to drive past the airport and snap pictures from a moving car. They aren't going to get out and draw attention to themselves.

Honestly, a good number of the photos I've uploaded are ones that, at full size, look too blurred, but I think they're acceptable at the size I use to post here. It didn't help that for ages, my camera was on 2 megapixels rather than 5, and for whatever reason, it is terrible on that setting. I was trying to conserve hard drive space, but in the end, too many of my photos weren't working out for it to be a sensible endeavour. I have a fucking external hard drive anyway!

My zoom is only 3x, though. Keep in mind that when I got this camera, I hadn't actually used a camera I would consider my own since 2004! So I had no idea what I wanted, and I really just wanted to be able to snap a few photos of trams. Never expected to become obsessed with photography.

And have planespotters been hassled in New Zealand? I know railfans have met trouble in the US and UK, but we've gotten off fine in Australia and New Zealand. Some security staff have even posted on railfan forums to clarify things and make everything go more smoothly for all concerned. Let's face it, any terrorist knows how to use Google Maps satellite imagery anyway!

Hey Kim! :wave:

:lol: OMG you can tell THAT from that pic?? It was in Rarotonga last year :drool:

At night, despite my abysmal vision. I can tell what class a tram is from a distance simply by the way light streams out of the windows. For example, a B2 has bigger windows than a Z3 and the Z3 windows divide halfway, so if the field of light is larger and not broken in the middle, then it has to be a B2. :nerd:

Hey Kim! :wave:

At night, despite my abysmal vision. I can tell what class a tram is from a distance simply by the way light streams out of the windows. For example, a B2 has bigger windows than a Z3 and the Z3 windows divide halfway, so if the field of light is larger and not broken in the middle, then it has to be a B2. :nerd:

:ohmy:

Should be worth a try.

I'm almost positive Lyall Bay is the one to the south.

Sounds right, then Island Bay is the next one over to the west. I remember that because the former tram line to Island Bay ran past Athletic Park.

I like my title and commentary on this photo over on LJ Scrapbook.

Lineside ... stuff
I don't know what this is. I just photographed it. It's in Royal Park not far north of Flemington Bridge station.

s640x480

My zoom is only 3x, though. Keep in mind that when I got this camera, I hadn't actually used a camera I would consider my own since 2004! So I had no idea what I wanted, and I really just wanted to be able to snap a few photos of trams. Never expected to become obsessed with photography.

And have planespotters been hassled in New Zealand? I know railfans have met trouble in the US and UK, but we've gotten off fine in Australia and New Zealand. Some security staff have even posted on railfan forums to clarify things and make everything go more smoothly for all concerned. Let's face it, any terrorist knows how to use Google Maps satellite imagery anyway!

My camera has 12x zoom. I didn't exactly know what I was looking for when I got it, but I knew zoom was one thing. It's only six megapixels, but given the biggest I'd even want an image is 1024x768, it's generally not noticeable.

I don't think planespotters get bugged in New Zealand. We shouldn't, I mean, Auckland Airport has a small area dedicated to watching planes. It has gates and supposedly closes between sunset and sunrise. But when I was driving past the other week at an appallingly early hour, they were wide open. I don't think spotters are much of a concern. We're free security, as well. If I see someone pull up and start assembling a rocket launcher, I'm not going to fucking stand there and watch!

I know planespotters get a lot of shit in the US, but they're nuts. But the most popular places are still patrolled relatively lightly. I think the Melbourne planespotting fraternity have a pretty good relationship with security and AFP. It's good to have organisations that are willing to listen to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom