Blubberhouses, Yorkshire, England Superthread - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2008, 05:40 AM   #346
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:04 AM
And from side on.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:41 AM   #347
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Assuming I haven't fucked up my bays (if I'm not grossly mistaken, Evans Bay is at the northern end of the airport and is an inlet of Port Nick, not Cook Strait), there's a nice, wide footpath along the western side on the road around to Oriental Bay. Not sure just what potential there is right underneath the flight path at the northern end of the runway, though.

Hate to think how you'd cope with the traffic of somewhere like Blenheim.
Should be worth a try.

I'm almost positive Lyall Bay is the one to the south.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:42 AM   #348
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Clearly they haven't learnt how to use apostrophes like the pros, though ...
What a complete fucking ball's up.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:43 AM   #349
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluey View Post

Makes wild attempt to fit into the picfest.....

I really like that picture. I loves me some context in photos.

(And it's an Air NZ A320)
Old 08-01-2008, 05:44 AM   #350
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post

I really like that picture. I loves me some context in photos.

(And it's an Air NZ A320)
OMG you can tell THAT from that pic?? It was in Rarotonga last year
Old 08-01-2008, 05:45 AM   #351
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:04 PM
Quote:
I've noticed just that. A lot of my photos are looking awesome in the photobastard preview, but it goes to hell as soon as I zoom in or post it...

If you find the right spot at an airport, zoom isn't completely vital. It helps, though. Especially with the OMGZ CAMERAZ WILL SHOOT DOWN PLANEZ!!!11 security brigade.

Incidentally, I was thinking about that the other day. A potential terrorist is going to drive past the airport and snap pictures from a moving car. They aren't going to get out and draw attention to themselves.
Honestly, a good number of the photos I've uploaded are ones that, at full size, look too blurred, but I think they're acceptable at the size I use to post here. It didn't help that for ages, my camera was on 2 megapixels rather than 5, and for whatever reason, it is terrible on that setting. I was trying to conserve hard drive space, but in the end, too many of my photos weren't working out for it to be a sensible endeavour. I have a fucking external hard drive anyway!

My zoom is only 3x, though. Keep in mind that when I got this camera, I hadn't actually used a camera I would consider my own since 2004! So I had no idea what I wanted, and I really just wanted to be able to snap a few photos of trams. Never expected to become obsessed with photography.

And have planespotters been hassled in New Zealand? I know railfans have met trouble in the US and UK, but we've gotten off fine in Australia and New Zealand. Some security staff have even posted on railfan forums to clarify things and make everything go more smoothly for all concerned. Let's face it, any terrorist knows how to use Google Maps satellite imagery anyway!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-01-2008, 05:46 AM   #352
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Airbii have a very distinctive nose shape.

Rarotonga looks not entirely like paradise in that photo. At least, considering the weather.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:48 AM   #353
Vocal parasite

Hey Kim!

Quote:
At night, despite my abysmal vision. I can tell what class a tram is from a distance simply by the way light streams out of the windows. For example, a B2 has bigger windows than a Z3 and the Z3 windows divide halfway, so if the field of light is larger and not broken in the middle, then it has to be a B2.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-01-2008, 05:49 AM   #354
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Hey Kim!

At night, despite my abysmal vision. I can tell what class a tram is from a distance simply by the way light streams out of the windows. For example, a B2 has bigger windows than a Z3 and the Z3 windows divide halfway, so if the field of light is larger and not broken in the middle, then it has to be a B2.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:49 AM   #355
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Should be worth a try.

I'm almost positive Lyall Bay is the one to the south.
Sounds right, then Island Bay is the next one over to the west. I remember that because the former tram line to Island Bay ran past Athletic Park.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-01-2008, 05:52 AM   #356
Vocal parasite

Quote:
And from side on.

I like this one. The clouds across the bottom break up an otherwise very bland sky.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-01-2008, 05:52 AM   #357
Blue Crack Addict

Rarotonga International Airport.

Waiting for a plane?

Old 08-01-2008, 05:53 AM   #358
Vocal parasite

I like my title and commentary on this photo over on LJ Scrapbook.

Lineside ... stuff
I don't know what this is. I just photographed it. It's in Royal Park not far north of Flemington Bridge station.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-01-2008, 05:54 AM   #359
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
My zoom is only 3x, though. Keep in mind that when I got this camera, I hadn't actually used a camera I would consider my own since 2004! So I had no idea what I wanted, and I really just wanted to be able to snap a few photos of trams. Never expected to become obsessed with photography.

And have planespotters been hassled in New Zealand? I know railfans have met trouble in the US and UK, but we've gotten off fine in Australia and New Zealand. Some security staff have even posted on railfan forums to clarify things and make everything go more smoothly for all concerned. Let's face it, any terrorist knows how to use Google Maps satellite imagery anyway!
My camera has 12x zoom. I didn't exactly know what I was looking for when I got it, but I knew zoom was one thing. It's only six megapixels, but given the biggest I'd even want an image is 1024x768, it's generally not noticeable.

I don't think planespotters get bugged in New Zealand. We shouldn't, I mean, Auckland Airport has a small area dedicated to watching planes. It has gates and supposedly closes between sunset and sunrise. But when I was driving past the other week at an appallingly early hour, they were wide open. I don't think spotters are much of a concern. We're free security, as well. If I see someone pull up and start assembling a rocket launcher, I'm not going to fucking stand there and watch!

I know planespotters get a lot of shit in the US, but they're nuts. But the most popular places are still patrolled relatively lightly. I think the Melbourne planespotting fraternity have a pretty good relationship with security and AFP. It's good to have organisations that are willing to listen to each other.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:55 AM   #360
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Rarotonga International Airport.

Makes even Nelson's piddly airport look like a bustling metropolis!

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread