Blubberhouses, Yorkshire, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Transport variation....Fire Engine....:drool:.... = Firemen :combust:

229ce444.jpg

Hey Kim! :wave:

At night, despite my abysmal vision. I can tell what class a tram is from a distance simply by the way light streams out of the windows. For example, a B2 has bigger windows than a Z3 and the Z3 windows divide halfway, so if the field of light is larger and not broken in the middle, then it has to be a B2. :nerd:

I'd laugh, but I can tell a number of planes apart at night, through light configuration. A320s have the landing lights under the belly of the plane instead of on the fairing between wing and fuselage. 777s (from behind) have a very obvious light pattern, and I can tell 747s taking off overhead at night because it sounds like the fucking world is going to end.

I'd laugh, but I can tell a number of planes apart at night, through light configuration. A320s have the landing lights under the belly of the plane instead of on the fairing between wing and fuselage. 777s (from behind) have a very obvious light pattern, and I can tell 747s taking off overhead at night because it sounds like the fucking world is going to end.

:ohmy: So it's worse than Mr G's snoring?

My camera has 12x zoom. I didn't exactly know what I was looking for when I got it, but I knew zoom was one thing. It's only six megapixels, but given the biggest I'd even want an image is 1024x768, it's generally not noticeable.

I don't think planespotters get bugged in New Zealand. We shouldn't, I mean, Auckland Airport has a small area dedicated to watching planes. It has gates and supposedly closes between sunset and sunrise. But when I was driving past the other week at an appallingly early hour, they were wide open. I don't think spotters are much of a concern. We're free security, as well. If I see someone pull up and start assembling a rocket launcher, I'm not going to fucking stand there and watch!

I know planespotters get a lot of shit in the US, but they're nuts. But the most popular places are still patrolled relatively lightly. I think the Melbourne planespotting fraternity have a pretty good relationship with security and AFP. It's good to have organisations that are willing to listen to each other.

The consensus amongst the photography blokes on Railpage is that megapixel size is normally not much of an issue if you aren't submitting anything for publication, but I've found my own camera is the pits on anything less than 5 megapixels. It can go up to 7, but I don't just for space concerns. 5 is plenty. I'd kill for your 12x zoom.

Yeah, in general it seems there's more of a willingness here to co-operate with spotters. There are numerous examples of railfans averting accidents because they've spotted something wrong and knew who to contact, or have managed to get members of the general public off the running lines before they got taken out by an unexpected train. The US paranoia is over the top. If they want to seriously fight terrorism, the last people they want to alienate are the spotters. Spotters would be the first to identify somebody who seems to be suspiciously casing out the place, and they're going to be damn protective of their trains or planes or whatever. I'm not letting any arsehole bomb my trams.

I can tell 747s taking off overhead at night because it sounds like the fucking world is going to end.

:laugh:

I can tell a VLocity unit because they have this loud yet somehow wimpy horn that absolutely gives me the shits. I'll be sitting around the corner from a level crossing, hear what I describe as a high pitched pop, and know a VLocity's coming.

Though when this VLocity rocked up at Richmond, it gave me a complete surprise as I didn't hear it coming in at all and just happened to turn around with camera in hand at the right time.

s640x480

We somehow ended up talking about Rarotonga in class this morning, and how it felt like 1970s New Zealand. I haven't been, but those photos sure make me believe it a little bit more!

I love the cigarette advertising on the bin.

It IS quaint. Nothing open on a Sunday. Basic hours. Basic supplies. Basically it's very basic :yes: Great to go for a switch off, but I'd get bored if stuck there for too long. Worst part is that there is only ONE tiny are on the whole island that you can go swimming - too much coral otherwise. So even though we had a beautiful beach right outside our door, we had to swim in the pool!

Oh and I had to take our youngest to the doctor for a bad ear infection....BASIC!! OMG!! He kept his notes in a school exercise book, worked out dosages in a very ancient way...was rather terrifying. Mind you the hospital had me worried too!!

Like I've woken up and prepared for death because I expected it to hit the house.

Pfft that's nothing compared to the decibels emitted through my mans snoring. And the weird pressure sensation of your brain being sucked out through your ear with each intake of breath....:yikes: Gimme a plane any day!

Here's my camera in non-zoomed mode.

IMG_1891.jpg

Just arrived and I had to get a photo of something decent flying through a fog bank, so I opened the car door and stuck my hand out.

That's a pretty cool shot, if you ask me.

The consensus amongst the photography blokes on Railpage is that megapixel size is normally not much of an issue if you aren't submitting anything for publication, but I've found my own camera is the pits on anything less than 5 megapixels. It can go up to 7, but I don't just for space concerns. 5 is plenty. I'd kill for your 12x zoom.

Yeah, in general it seems there's more of a willingness here to co-operate with spotters. There are numerous examples of railfans averting accidents because they've spotted something wrong and knew who to contact, or have managed to get members of the general public off the running lines before they got taken out by an unexpected train. The US paranoia is over the top. If they want to seriously fight terrorism, the last people they want to alienate are the spotters. Spotters would be the first to identify somebody who seems to be suspiciously casing out the place, and they're going to be damn protective of their trains or planes or whatever. I'm not letting any arsehole bomb my trams.

I'd kill for better zoom, but I'd need to be faster with tracking to be able to focus on a particular part of a moving plane, so really any extra zoom would be wasted.

I totally agree with your second paragraph. If you're planning on shooting down a plane while I'm out spotting, you're going to have a put a fucking rocket through me before you point one at a plane.

:laugh:

I can tell a VLocity unit because they have this loud yet somehow wimpy horn that absolutely gives me the shits. I'll be sitting around the corner from a level crossing, hear what I describe as a high pitched pop, and know a VLocity's coming.

Though when this VLocity rocked up at Richmond, it gave me a complete surprise as I didn't hear it coming in at all and just happened to turn around with camera in hand at the right time.

s640x480

I like the retro look of those trains.

It IS quaint. Nothing open on a Sunday. Basic hours. Basic supplies. Basically it's very basic :yes: Great to go for a switch off, but I'd get bored if stuck there for too long. Worst part is that there is only ONE tiny are on the whole island that you can go swimming - too much coral otherwise. So even though we had a beautiful beach right outside our door, we had to swim in the pool!

Oh and I had to take our youngest to the doctor for a bad ear infection....BASIC!! OMG!! He kept his notes in a school exercise book, worked out dosages in a very ancient way...was rather terrifying. Mind you the hospital had me worried too!!

Pfft that's nothing compared to the decibels emitted through my mans snoring. And the weird pressure sensation of your brain being sucked out through your ear with each intake of breath....:yikes: Gimme a plane any day!

:lol: Awesome.

And shit, they've changed runways at Auckland. Planes are now taking off over my house. That means I've at least two terrifyingly loud planes to come across, and according to the Auckland Airport website, at least another two quieter ones.

I'd kill for better zoom, but I'd need to be faster with tracking to be able to focus on a particular part of a moving plane, so really any extra zoom would be wasted.

I totally agree with your second paragraph. If you're planning on shooting down a plane while I'm out spotting, you're going to have a put a fucking rocket through me before you point one at a plane.

I expect the next camera I buy to be an expensive one with all the bells and whistles I can get on a limited budget. I've even contemplated a DSLR.

If anybody wants to cause trouble on a train, they've got me to deal with. If it's a Comeng, I'd probably let them do as they please because those trains are shithouse, but fuck off, nobody's touching something hauled by the A class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom