Blowhard Victoria Superthread - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2008, 12:47 AM   #406
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:12 PM
In looking for that Southland joke, I found another great Kiwi rugby one. I've amended it a bit to suit myself.

A family of Auckland Blues rugby supporters head out shopping one Saturday before Christmas.

While in a sports shop, the son picks up a Wellington Hurricanes rugby jersey and says to his sister, "I've decided I'm going to be a Hurricanes supporter and I'd like this jersey for Christmas!"

The sister is outraged at this, promptly whacks him round the head and says, "Go talk to your mother."

Off goes the little lad, with Hurricanes jersey in hand and finds his mother. "Mum." "Yes, son?" "I've decided I'm going to be a Hurricanes supporter and I'd like this jersey for Christmas."

The mother is outraged at this, promptly whacks him round the head and says, "Go talk to your father."

Off he goes with the Crusaders jersey in hand and finds his father. "Dad." "Yes, son?" "I've decided I'm going to be a Hurricanes supporter and I would like this jersey for Christmas."

The father is outraged at this, promptly whacks his son round the head and says, "No son of mine is ever going to be seen in THAT!"

About an hour later, they are all back in the car heading home. The father turns to the son and says, "Son, I hope you've learned an important lesson today." The son turns to his father and says, "Yes, Dad, I have". Father says,"good, son, and what is it?"

The son replies "I've only been a Hurricanes supporter for an hour and already I hate you Auckland bastards!"

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-04-2008, 12:49 AM   #407
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

What I've heard from Closer has been rather dull, actually. What I love about Unknown Pleasures is its intensity. They were a great unit, especially in the rhythm section. My favorite song of theirs is still Disorder...what a tune.
Yeah, I level the same criticism at Closer. I like Atrocity Exhibition and Twenty Four Hours and that's it.

She's Lost Control is my favourite Joy Division track, though it's safe to say it's being challenged by New Dawn Fades. And Disorder comes in at #3.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-04-2008, 12:51 AM   #408
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:12 AM
Old 04-04-2008, 12:51 AM   #409
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by RavenBlue
"It is this grandeur that protects the spirit within, from the plight of this broken world" One of my favourite all time quotes.
The entire song's lyrics are just awesome.

When the heart is a grave filled with blood
And the soul is a cold and haunted shell of lost hope
When the voice of pride has been silenced
And dignity's fires are but cinders
Their grandeur shall remain untainted
[...]
I wish to die with my will and spirit intact
The will that inspired me to write these words
Seek not the fallen to unlock these wooden doors

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-04-2008, 12:52 AM   #410
The Male

Local Time: 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Yeah, I level the same criticism at Closer. I like Atrocity Exhibition and Twenty Four Hours and that's it.

She's Lost Control is my favourite Joy Division track, though it's safe to say it's being challenged by New Dawn Fades. And Disorder comes in at #3.
Did you ever see the Ian Curtis biopic Control? I enjoyed it, but it lacked bite. Felt almost Hollywood at times. It looked great, and the acting was fine, but the script felt like any other rock doc.

Now.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:53 AM   #411
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Leafs and Southland must have alot in common

In my heart of hearts I still hold out hope that someday, somehow, they might win a championship in my lifetime. Until that time, I'll keep my fandom up by ripping them apart at every possible juncture.
Southland are a pack no-hopers when it comes to the provincial rugby. In the Super 14 international provincial rugby, they're part of Otago, who are similarly a pack of no-hopers.

I go for Wellington, who have won the NPC a few times (including in my lifetime!) and held the Ranfurly Shield, but in the Super 14, the Wellington Hurricanes are the team that has perfected snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. We made the final once, in 2006. It was just as good as winning the whole fucking thing. I still get excited just thinking back to when we won the semis and qualified for the final.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-04-2008, 12:54 AM   #412
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Did you ever see the Ian Curtis biopic Control? I enjoyed it, but it lacked bite. Felt almost Hollywood at times. It looked great, and the acting was fine, but the script felt like any other rock doc.
No, I never saw it when it was in cinemas. I'm assuming it must be out on DVD by now? I'd really like to see it. Most comments I've heard about it have been good.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-04-2008, 12:55 AM   #413
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:12 AM
Alas, sleep beckons.

It really doesn't, but I should try to catch some shuteye so I'm not uber grumpy tomorrow.

Good night/day all
Old 04-04-2008, 12:57 AM   #414
Blue Crack Addict

LM, I looked at your top 50. I recognize a lot of it (a lot more by band name than album name). I'll let you know what when I get home from work as I must pack my computer now.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:58 AM   #415
The Male

Quote:

No, I never saw it when it was in cinemas. I'm assuming it must be out on DVD by now? I'd really like to see it. Most comments I've heard about it have been good.
Comes out June 3, I believe. It's strange how long it's been delayed, considering it wasn't exactly a smash hit in theatres or anything.

Now.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:01 AM   #416
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by the tourist
LM, I looked at your top 50. I recognize a lot of it (a lot more by band name than album name). I'll let you know what when I get home from work as I must pack my computer now.

Now.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:05 AM   #417
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Alas, sleep beckons.

It really doesn't, but I should try to catch some shuteye so I'm not uber grumpy tomorrow.

Good night/day all
Have a good one!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-04-2008, 01:08 AM   #418
The Male

DI ratings:

Pfan - C+

Starting on Screwtape's DI list now, and looking forward to it. Some great songs there. And, though his last list was far too obscure for my tastes, it was exceptionally well done. He knows how to organize songs, that's for sure.

Now.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:09 AM   #419
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Comes out June 3, I believe. It's strange how long it's been delayed, considering it wasn't exactly a smash hit in theatres or anything.
Oh wow, it's not out yet even over your way?

Guess we'll get it in 2009 or something.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-04-2008, 01:11 AM   #420
The Male

Quote:

Oh wow, it's not out yet even over your way?

Guess we'll get it in 2009 or something.
Yeah, the worst part is, the extent of the bonus features will likely be (if we're lucky) a commentary, still photos (from the movie), and a 5-minute "making of" documentary. Argh...

Now.

Tags
superthread