Blowhard Victoria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMelon said:
Augh...why does EVERY SONG on pfan's second disc have to be a ballad? I mean, no story he concocted could possibly be that depressing. He's 17.

Flow + Concept = That.

I made a happy list last time, this time I made a not happy one. Just mixing it up.

LemonMelon said:
Pfan made me listen to Sting. Twice. Suck it up.

You made me listen to a couple of sings that were cringe-worthy too, around track 20 or so. Can't remember the names. But we're at an impasse.

LemonMelon said:
And? :tongue: My list doesn't cause listeners to become suicidal. Oh, wait, forgot about Axver. :sad:

Does mine? :eyebrow:

The last three songs are Knockin' on Heaven's Door, Rowena's Theme, and The Birth and Death of the Day. The way I wrote the concept made it quite dark, but those songs on their own are not all that dark.

LemonMelon said:
At least Screwtape sorted his out properly. Pfan didn't even name all of his songs. :lol:

How do you mean? In my iTunes, I have all the official info. I think the only track that had problems was the Killers track because it came from a burnt CD.

the tourist said:
I hate that nagging feeling of doubting your own playlist. Eh, this is my first attempt after all, though.

Well, after the reviews I've been reading of mine, it's way beyond doubt.

the tourist said:
I'm a perfectionist. All my own are tagged with all their official information. People will just have to put them in order themselves.

As am I. LeMel's playlist was a pain in the ass in that sense. Took me like an hour.

LeMel - B
LeMacPhi - C

Glad to see Andrew gave a B- on the first disc. Enjoyed reading the song by song reaction.

I did more or less the same thing for LeMel's list, only in a Word document as notes so I'd remember his list.

Screwtape2 said:

A couple.

Phillyfan's, Lancemc's, Bono_212's and Khan's. I'm about to listen to Axver's.

Thoughts on mine? Overall, there's been mostly strong dislike of my list so far in the three reactions I've read.

phillyfan26 said:

Thoughts on mine? Overall, there's been mostly strong dislike of my list so far in the three reactions I've read.

You have tons of songs I like and not many I can't stand. That said there weren't a lot of songs that I said, 'wow that was a great choice.' I love your concept. If I would attach a letter grade, a B I think. You took a lot of time and effort. You have have good song choices. Good job.

In our group, I gave Khan and Bono_212 a B as well. They also have some great song choices. At this point I can't say who I like the most.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm going to have to completely re-think my style for DI5, it looks like. For one, I need more artists. I think a lack of material to choose from hurt my list. I'm really interested in getting a taste of other artists through this competition. It has improved my thoughts on Pink Floyd and REM, so far.

phillyfan26 said:
Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm going to have to completely re-think my style for DI5, it looks like. For one, I need more artists. I think a lack of material to choose from hurt my list. I'm really interested in getting a taste of other artists through this competition. It has improved my thoughts on Pink Floyd and REM, so far.

You know you going to probably win our group, right? :wink:

Well, your review was the most positive one I've seen. Axver disliked it, Andrew had mixed thoughts, and LeMel showed strong dislike.

Your playlist has been much better received than mine.

Oh, and I'm downloading yours right now. Will give it a listen as soon as it's finished.

Then after that:
1. LJT
2. Bono_212
3. Khan
4. Axver
5. Andrew

IN THAT ORDER.

I'm writing notes about each playlist I listen to in a Word document. Sort of a running diary like Andrew had going last night.

BTW, if you return, Andrew, I'd like to hear your final thoughts on my list.

My LeMel notes were interesting, and I'm still not sure how I feel about his list.

Just reading it again, it's me almost like coaching him, saying things like "The playlist needs to start doing this now ..." It's humorous in that sense.

There were some things I really liked about his, the song choices, the flow, the concept ... which seems like it should be everything, but there's something missing. As I've said, I think the playlist peaked at Summer '68, and it really lacks a strong ending I think.

Well, I just finished re-assigning all the artists and albums, so now I'll give it a listen.

Screwtape2 said:
Good. I hope you say the same for Supper's Ready. :up:

Well, Pink Floyd's good at atmosphere, which is necessary for that amount of time. Is Genesis? Not so sure.

This is the first Porcupine Tree song I've ever heard.

phillyfan26 said:

Well, Pink Floyd's good at atmosphere, which is necessary for that amount of time. Is Genesis? Not so sure.

This is the first Porcupine Tree song I've ever heard.

Supper's Ready is wild and visual. A great song to close your eyes to and listen to the lyrics.

Do you like the Porcupine Tree song?

I do. It kind of reminds me of "Wild Is the Wind" by Bowie. Atmospheric, laid back.

... and right as I say that, an electric guitar solo breaks out with some crashing drums.

Still a good song, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom