Blowhard Victoria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's actually a lot of electro. And who can call his playlist dark when he's got Tegan and Sara on it?

Khan's lists have been surprisingly light in the past. I mentally group her with LJT Axver and Screwtape, but then...

LemonMelon said:

Axver would back me up on Nick Drake - Pink Moon and Yes - Fragile being essential purchases. :wink:

I'll agree on Pink Moon, absolutely.

Fragile's alright but Yes haven't fully grabbed my attention.

Hey, Bonnie, you're around! Feels like you haven't been here for a while and I was wondering where you'd got to. :wave:

I get back and the place dies. Damn.

But I had a good time with the trams! And the occasional train.

The Sad Punk said:
I'm here for a while. :wave:

I have had a tough week which I described a bit some pages back.

Yeah, I just caught up. Sounds like a difficult spot to be in, but you've enough good sense to handle this well, I'm sure. Including the good sense to not expect me to have any worthwhile advice. :wink:

Also, in catching up, I had to wonder - what on earth are you lot going to think of my tracklist! :lol:

It's going to get so badly mauled.

And I hadn't realised Screwtape's last two tracks are both live. That can't bode well.

Is your tracklist posted yet? I don't know how this whole thing pans out, but I want to be in the next game.

The guy seems okay, my brother popped in to see him before apparently, and he was in a good mood, had another friend over.

The Sad Punk said:
Is your tracklist posted yet? I don't know how this whole thing pans out, but I want to be in the next game.

The guy seems okay, my brother popped in to see him before apparently, and he was in a good mood, had another friend over.

Yeah, I posted it on my journal here. I'm going to get slaughtered in the voting thanks to tracks 7, 16-21, and 23. Especially 19-21.

And that's good at least.

Twenty Four Hours! :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

I barely recognize any of those tracks, but I already imagine it's better than most of the others. Looking at a few past ones, there seems to be mainly Radiohead and Wilco and Weezer and other bands popular in that same social realm, which I couldn't care less about. So yours immediately stands out (and it has no Genesis).

By the way, how has it been finding the bootlegs? Just wondering. :)

The Sad Punk said:
Twenty Four Hours! :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

I figured you'd appreciate that. Dreams Burn Down too.

I barely recognize any of those tracks, but I already imagine it's better than most of the others. Looking at a few past ones, there seems to be mainly Radiohead and Wilco and Weezer and other bands popular in that same social realm, which I couldn't care less about. So yours immediately stands out

Thanks. :) Certainly there's a common stylistic pattern throughout many entries and it has made me enjoy past tournaments a bit less than I would've liked to. I'm looking forward to you participating in Desert Island V.

Though I'm sure for myself, my list is damned through obscurity for those who don't listen to it, and damned through differing tastes for those who do!

(and it has no Genesis).

Not a fan of them either? I've tried to get into them, but it just makes me dislike them more. Ugh. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is such a shockingly bad album.

By the way, how has it been finding the bootlegs? Just wondering. :)

I'd feel bad about not having spent much time looking, but you haven't exactly prodded me into action and I doubt you've bought the blanks or anything so I can't say I'm going to feel that many pangs of guilt. :wink:

While I was out, I should have bought dinner or something. Shame there's no fast food places on my way home. If I went two more tram stops up, I could get Red Rooster, but I barely ever go there and I've no idea what I'd get.

So now I'm hungry but it's 8:20pm and I don't want to cook.

Axver said:

I figured you'd appreciate that. Dreams Burn Down too.

Oh, of course.

Thanks. :) Certainly there's a common stylistic pattern throughout many entries and it has made me enjoy past tournaments a bit less than I would've liked to. I'm looking forward to you participating in Desert Island V.

Though I'm sure for myself, my list is damned through obscurity for those who don't listen to it, and damned through differing tastes for those who do!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to including no Radiohead on my disc. :up:

How biased are the reviews often? Is it just tourist that reviews them, or is it a panel?

Not a fan of them either? I've tried to get into them, but it just makes me dislike them more. Ugh. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is such a shockingly bad album.

Dude, it's Phail Collins. I wouldn't spend a minute with them when there's so much good stuff in the world.

I'd feel bad about not having spent much time looking, but you haven't exactly prodded me into action and I doubt you've bought the blanks or anything so I can't say I'm going to feel that many pangs of guilt. :wink:

I have the blanks. I'm going to start prodding you now. :wink:

The Sad Punk said:
Thanks, I'm looking forward to including no Radiohead on my disc. :up:

I'm looking forward to not hearing Radiohead on your disc. :drool:

No U2 either? :wink:

How biased are the reviews often? Is it just tourist that reviews them, or is it a panel?

Tourist's posts on this thread are I think the first time anybody's methodically gone through the tracklists! Usually you'll get a few people who'll post on the voting threads some detailed thoughts, but often it's very general.

What we have done before is run a "critic's choice" series of awards at the end, where a group of people - usually the actual contestants - submit their rankings of the entries in various categories. Often it means the more artistic and obscure tracklists that did badly in voting get some recognition.

Dude, it's Phail Collins. I wouldn't spend a minute with them when there's so much good stuff in the world.

:lol: Wise move. I've listened to some stuff from the Peter Gabriel era - The Lamb, Selling England By The Pound, and various assorted tracks from elsewhere. Can't be bothered touching the Phail Collins era. The Gabriel era was crap enough.

I have the blanks. I'm going to start prodding you now. :wink:

Heh, alright. Get me to do it this weekend. Not tonight. I really badly need to do some work due to my lack of productivity earlier.

Wow, there is NOTHING on TV of a Friday night. Epic phail, Aussie TV networks. :down:

Axver said:

I'm looking forward to not hearing Radiohead on your disc. :drool:

No U2 either? :wink:

Most likely not. I got sort of bored seeing U2 on every disc. And I doubt they'll fit on the album, because I wanted to have a lot of music before the 80s (though I'm not sure how well it'll go to plan). That said, do you think you could send a copy of In a Lifetime to me? I don't have it here. :)

Tourist's posts on this thread are I think the first time anybody's methodically gone through the tracklists! Usually you'll get a few people who'll post on the voting threads some detailed thoughts, but often it's very general.

What we have done before is run a "critic's choice" series of awards at the end, where a group of people - usually the actual contestants - submit their rankings of the entries in various categories. Often it means the more artistic and obscure tracklists that did badly in voting get some recognition.

Oh, righto then. That sounds good to me. :)

:lol: Wise move. I've listened to some stuff from the Peter Gabriel era - The Lamb, Selling England By The Pound, and various assorted tracks from elsewhere. Can't be bothered touching the Phail Collins era. The Gabriel era was crap enough.

I think listening to someone like Genesis can completely destroy somebody's reputation for liking good music. Even if they listen to fucking Cole Porter and Duke Ellington and Miles Davis and Ravel, something like Genesis just ruins everything. Sometimes I wonder if U2 have that effect on my tastes for a lot of people.

Heh, alright. Get me to do it this weekend. Not tonight. I really badly need to do some work due to my lack of productivity earlier.

Fine by me. I may have to leave soon anyway.

The Sad Punk said:
I've just got to say I am eating some Persian feta at the moment and it is unbelievable win. :drool:

:steals:

And I think I'll make gnocchi napoli for dinner. It's quick and that's all I want at 9pm!

Axver said:

:steals:

And I think I'll make gnocchi napoli for dinner. It's quick and that's all I want at 9pm!

I'm sure you can get some at any market there. Seems like a popular brand. It's just :drool: material, seriously.

Plus I'm drinking Lithuanian beer. I didn't notice it was from Lithuania when I bought it, I just noticed I hadn't tried it before and put it in the basket. :lol:

I had gnocchi napoli the other night, my cousin cooked it. Pretty nice stuff, I hadn't eaten gnochi in a long time, I prefer ravioli.

The Sad Punk said:
Most likely not. I got sort of bored seeing U2 on every disc. And I doubt they'll fit on the album, because I wanted to have a lot of music before the 80s (though I'm not sure how well it'll go to plan). That said, do you think you could send a copy of In a Lifetime to me? I don't have it here. :)

What sort of stuff are you thinking of using? I originally had no intention of using U2 this time around, but then I realised WUDM fit my concept perfectly. Same happened last time actually; my original version of the tracklist had Passengers, but Exit was a later addition. Unfortunately, in the past, some people have chosen not to vote for U2-less tracklists. That sort of attitude really pisses me off, but it's Interference; what can you do?

In A Lifetime's on its way. :)

I think listening to someone like Genesis can completely destroy somebody's reputation for liking good music. Even if they listen to fucking Cole Porter and Duke Ellington and Miles Davis and Ravel, something like Genesis just ruins everything. Sometimes I wonder if U2 have that effect on my tastes for a lot of people.

Yeah, I've wondered about that too, seeing I mix in prog circles ... and maintain U2VT. Ah well. I still maintain eighties U2 was one of the best bands ever.

And I'm especially doomed since I like Dream Theater. But again it's a case of "please ignore the recent shit".

Axver said:
What sort of stuff are you thinking of using? I originally had no intention of using U2 this time around, but then I realised WUDM fit my concept perfectly. Same happened last time actually; my original version of the tracklist had Passengers, but Exit was a later addition. Unfortunately, in the past, some people have chosen not to vote for U2-less tracklists. That sort of attitude really pisses me off, but it's Interference; what can you do?

In A Lifetime's on its way. :)

Expect 60s pop, soul, maybe a bit of jazz if I can fit it in, and likewise with shoegaze, an appropriate Husker Du track, Easter Theatre by XTC and hopefully some sense of order...

Thanks. :)

Yeah, I've wondered about that too, seeing I mix in prog circles ... and maintain U2VT. Ah well. I still maintain eighties U2 was one of the best bands ever.

And I'm especially doomed since I like Dream Theater. But again it's a case of "please ignore the recent shit".

And that last quote is the philosophy that all U2 fans should live by, as far as I'm concerned.

I do not accept thinking Vertigo is a good song as opinion - I consider that blatant retardation.

The Sad Punk said:
I just totally quoted my own post for some reason

:lol:

But in the quote you added something extra, some amusing Liechtenstein beer comment, that isn't in the original!

If you find Liechtenstein booze of any description, I want to know!

I wonder if there are any vineyards there ... :hmm:

The Sad Punk said:
I'm sure you can get some at any market there. Seems like a popular brand. It's just :drool: material, seriously.

Plus I'm drinking Lithuanian beer. I didn't notice it was from Lithuania when I bought it, I just noticed I hadn't tried it before and put it in the basket. :lol:

I had gnocchi napoli the other night, my cousin cooked it. Pretty nice stuff, I hadn't eaten gnochi in a long time, I prefer ravioli.

Oh yeah, I don't imagine it'd be too hard. It just requires 1. looking and 2. spending money. The former of which I suck at, the latter of which I don't like doing!

:lol: How good is this Lithuanian beer?

I've never been a big fan of ravioli myself. I love gnocchi though. Guess I better go and make it. I'm starting to become pretty fucking hungry and every attempt to do work just results in me getting distracted.

The Sad Punk said:
Expect 60s pop, soul, maybe a bit of jazz if I can fit it in, and likewise with shoegaze, an appropriate Husker Du track, Easter Theatre by XTC and hopefully some sense of order...

Ooh, that sounds like it would be interesting, and quite a change of pace for the tournament. I hope you'd introduce me to some good shoegaze I don't already know.

And that last quote is the philosophy that all U2 fans should live by, as far as I'm concerned.

I do not accept thinking Vertigo is a good song as opinion - I consider that blatant retardation.

Yeah, entirely agreed. Replace "Vertigo" with "SYCMIOYO" and I agree even more. Bleh. I have absolutely no expectation of hearing anything good on the next album. Now it looks like they may not even get it out this year. Laziest band ever? HOW FUCKING HARD IS IT TO RECORD AN ALBUM IN TWO YEARS? They've been ostensibly working on new material since mid-2006! Most bands I know can spit out an album in a couple of months without really breaking a sweat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom