Blowhard Victoria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the tourist said:

No. But I'll give you a hint: it's in your top 10.

Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde?

I've been hooked on that one lately. Printemps Emeraude, Ciel Errant, and Tir Nan Og are so awesome. :drool:

Axver said:

Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde?

I've been hooked on that one lately. Printemps Emeraude, Ciel Errant, and Tir Nan Og are so awesome. :drool:

Bingo!

Axver said:

And what, praytell, is so bad about Sting?

What's so bad about Bob Dylan, The Beatles, The Kinks, Radiohead, and so on? :wink: Sting just bores me, solo and otherwise.

Actually, I'm going through and listening to a bunch of proggy stuff a friend of mine who introduced me to PT as "mellow music" gave me on an mp3 disc a long time ago. Agalloch was one of them and I didn't care for it. But next on my list (once I'm current on DI lists) is Crippled Black Phoenix, which he also described as mellow.

LemonMelon said:

What's so bad about Bob Dylan, The Beatles, The Kinks, Radiohead, and so on? :wink: Sting just bores me, solo and otherwise.

Of those, I like The Beatles and Radiohead--though admittedly I've never heard The Kinks (at least they don't ring a bell :reject: )

RavenBlue said:
Canadian Temperature Conversion Chart

:lol:

I've seen a similar one for Finland too.

-500 Fahrenheit (-295 C)
Hell freezes over.
The Leafs win the Cup

This reminds me of one of my favourite Kiwi jokes (note for foreigners: Invercargill is the main city in Southland, the southernmost part of the South Island):

Two guys from Invercargill die and wake up in hell.

The next day the devil stops in to check on them and sees them dressed in swannies, mittens and balaclavas warming themselves around the fire.

The devil asks them, "What are you doing? Isn't it hot enough for you?"

The two guys reply, "Well, you know, we're from Invercargill, the land of snow and ice and cold. We're just happy for a chance to warm up a little bit, eh."

The devil decides that these two aren't miserable enough and turns up the heat. The next morning he stops in again and there they are, still dressed in swannies, mittens and balaclavas

The devil asks them again, "It's awfully hot down here, can't you guys feel it?"

Again the two guys reply, "Well, like we told ya yesterday, we're from Invercargill, the land of snow and ice and cold. We're just happy for a chance to warm up a little bit, eh."

This gets the devil a little steamed up and he decides to fix these two guys. He cranks the heat up as high as it will go. The people are wailing and screaming everywhere. He stops by the room with the two guys from Invercargill and finds them in t-shirts, footie shorts and jandals drinking a speights and cooking a barbie.

The devil is astonished, "Everyone down here is in abject misery, and you two seem to be enjoying yourselves."

The two Southlanders reply, "Well, ya know, we don't get too much warm weather down there in Invercargill so we've just got to have a cook-up when the weather's THIS nice."

The devil is absolutely furious, he can hardly see straight. Finally he comes up with the answer. The two guys love the heat because they have been cold all their lives. The devil decides to turn all the heat off in hell.

The next morning, the temperature is below zero, icicles are hanging everywhere; people are shivering so bad that they are unable to do anything but wail, moan and gnash their teeth.

The devil smiles and heads for the room with the two Southlanders. He gets there and finds them back in their swannies, mittens and balaclavas. NOW they are jumping up and down, cheering, yelling and screaming like mad men!

The devil is dumbfounded, "I don't understand, when I turn up the heat you're happy. Now it's freezing cold and you're still happy. What is wrong with you two?"

The Southlanders look at the devil in surprise.

"Well, don't you know? If hell freezes over, it must mean that Southland has won the NPC rugby!"

LemonMelon said:

Great record.

Have to give my stamp of approval. :wink:

I personally think Unknown Pleasures is far superior to Closer.

Disorder, New Dawn Fades, and She's Lost Control are three of the band's very best songs. :drool:

LemonMelon said:

Actually, I'm not a big Sting/Police fan. Just select songs really. But he doesn't bug me like Bob Dylan, Radiohead, The Arcade Fire, et al.

the tourist said:
Actually, I'm going through and listening to a bunch of proggy stuff a friend of mine who introduced me to PT as "mellow music" gave me on an mp3 disc a long time ago. Agalloch was one of them and I didn't care for it. But next on my list (once I'm current on DI lists) is Crippled Black Phoenix, which he also described as mellow.

I've never actually even heard of Crippled Black Phoenix. Let me know if they're anything like PT.

Shame you didn't like Agalloch, but I don't really expect many people to enjoy their music that much. Can't wait for responses to I Am The Wooden Doors in my tracklist. But fuck it's a good song.

the tourist said:

Of those, I like The Beatles and Radiohead--though admittedly I've never heard The Kinks (at least they don't ring a bell :reject: )

I just sent you a top 50 list of my own. Tell me if there's anything you don't recognize.

:giggle:

Leafs and Southland must have alot in common

In my heart of hearts I still hold out hope that someday, somehow, they might win a championship in my lifetime. Until that time, I'll keep my fandom up by ripping them apart at every possible juncture.

Axver said:

I personally think Unknown Pleasures is far superior to Closer.

Disorder, New Dawn Fades, and She's Lost Control are three of the band's very best songs. :drool:

What I've heard from Closer has been rather dull, actually. What I love about Unknown Pleasures is its intensity. They were a great unit, especially in the rhythm section. My favorite song of theirs is still Disorder...what a tune. :drool:

In looking for that Southland joke, I found another great Kiwi rugby one. I've amended it a bit to suit myself.

A family of Auckland Blues rugby supporters head out shopping one Saturday before Christmas.

While in a sports shop, the son picks up a Wellington Hurricanes rugby jersey and says to his sister, "I've decided I'm going to be a Hurricanes supporter and I'd like this jersey for Christmas!"

The sister is outraged at this, promptly whacks him round the head and says, "Go talk to your mother."

Off goes the little lad, with Hurricanes jersey in hand and finds his mother. "Mum." "Yes, son?" "I've decided I'm going to be a Hurricanes supporter and I'd like this jersey for Christmas."

The mother is outraged at this, promptly whacks him round the head and says, "Go talk to your father."

Off he goes with the Crusaders jersey in hand and finds his father. "Dad." "Yes, son?" "I've decided I'm going to be a Hurricanes supporter and I would like this jersey for Christmas."

The father is outraged at this, promptly whacks his son round the head and says, "No son of mine is ever going to be seen in THAT!"

About an hour later, they are all back in the car heading home. The father turns to the son and says, "Son, I hope you've learned an important lesson today." The son turns to his father and says, "Yes, Dad, I have". Father says,"good, son, and what is it?"

The son replies "I've only been a Hurricanes supporter for an hour and already I hate you Auckland bastards!"

LemonMelon said:

What I've heard from Closer has been rather dull, actually. What I love about Unknown Pleasures is its intensity. They were a great unit, especially in the rhythm section. My favorite song of theirs is still Disorder...what a tune. :drool:

Yeah, I level the same criticism at Closer. I like Atrocity Exhibition and Twenty Four Hours and that's it.

She's Lost Control is my favourite Joy Division track, though it's safe to say it's being challenged by New Dawn Fades. And Disorder comes in at #3.

RavenBlue said:
"It is this grandeur that protects the spirit within, from the plight of this broken world" One of my favourite all time quotes.

The entire song's lyrics are just awesome.

When the heart is a grave filled with blood
And the soul is a cold and haunted shell of lost hope
When the voice of pride has been silenced
And dignity's fires are but cinders
Their grandeur shall remain untainted
[...]
I wish to die with my will and spirit intact
The will that inspired me to write these words
Seek not the fallen to unlock these wooden doors

Axver said:

Yeah, I level the same criticism at Closer. I like Atrocity Exhibition and Twenty Four Hours and that's it.

She's Lost Control is my favourite Joy Division track, though it's safe to say it's being challenged by New Dawn Fades. And Disorder comes in at #3.

Did you ever see the Ian Curtis biopic Control? I enjoyed it, but it lacked bite. Felt almost Hollywood at times. It looked great, and the acting was fine, but the script felt like any other rock doc.

RavenBlue said:
:giggle:

Leafs and Southland must have alot in common

In my heart of hearts I still hold out hope that someday, somehow, they might win a championship in my lifetime. Until that time, I'll keep my fandom up by ripping them apart at every possible juncture.

Southland are a pack no-hopers when it comes to the provincial rugby. In the Super 14 international provincial rugby, they're part of Otago, who are similarly a pack of no-hopers.

I go for Wellington, who have won the NPC a few times (including in my lifetime!) and held the Ranfurly Shield, but in the Super 14, the Wellington Hurricanes are the team that has perfected snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. We made the final once, in 2006. It was just as good as winning the whole fucking thing. I still get excited just thinking back to when we won the semis and qualified for the final.

LemonMelon said:

Did you ever see the Ian Curtis biopic Control? I enjoyed it, but it lacked bite. Felt almost Hollywood at times. It looked great, and the acting was fine, but the script felt like any other rock doc.

No, I never saw it when it was in cinemas. I'm assuming it must be out on DVD by now? I'd really like to see it. Most comments I've heard about it have been good.

LM, I looked at your top 50. I recognize a lot of it (a lot more by band name than album name). I'll let you know what when I get home from work as I must pack my computer now.

Axver said:

No, I never saw it when it was in cinemas. I'm assuming it must be out on DVD by now? I'd really like to see it. Most comments I've heard about it have been good.

Comes out June 3, I believe. It's strange how long it's been delayed, considering it wasn't exactly a smash hit in theatres or anything.

the tourist said:
LM, I looked at your top 50. I recognize a lot of it (a lot more by band name than album name). I'll let you know what when I get home from work as I must pack my computer now.

:up:

RavenBlue said:
Alas, sleep beckons.

It really doesn't, but I should try to catch some shuteye so I'm not uber grumpy tomorrow.

Good night/day all

Have a good one! :wave:

DI ratings:

Pfan - C+

Starting on Screwtape's DI list now, and looking forward to it. Some great songs there. And, though his last list was far too obscure for my tastes, it was exceptionally well done. He knows how to organize songs, that's for sure.

LemonMelon said:

Comes out June 3, I believe. It's strange how long it's been delayed, considering it wasn't exactly a smash hit in theatres or anything.

Oh wow, it's not out yet even over your way?

Guess we'll get it in 2009 or something. :|

Axver said:

Oh wow, it's not out yet even over your way?

Guess we'll get it in 2009 or something. :|

Yeah, the worst part is, the extent of the bonus features will likely be (if we're lucky) a commentary, still photos (from the movie), and a 5-minute "making of" documentary. Argh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom