Blowhard Victoria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

Yeah, Genesis sucks.

I haven't heard that song in particular, but ugh, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is the single most over-rated prog album in history. No wonder the genre is so despised in the mainstream nowadays. Shit like that killed it.

Only one Genesis song I ever liked: "That's All." Catchy.

LemonMelon said:

What do you feel was wrong with your first entry, specifically? Outside of some bizarre choices like placing two Joy Division songs next to each other and, of course, using the same artists over and over, which everyone did back then.

Actually, I think those two Joy Division songs go rather well together. I suppose the playlist isn't really that bad, but disc two really bothers me. The ending was not smart at all for Interference, and if I made that playlist nowadays, disc two would not have tracks 2-4 or 14 even considered for inclusion.

I just feel like it's a formless mass of songs I like cobbled together into a vague sense of sonic cohesion. There's no reason why any of them are there. It doesn't make sense as a tracklist.

LemonMelon said:

In the case of ska/punk, you should.

Weren't The Mighty Mighty Bosstones ska/punk or something? Now, they weren't exactly a good band, but every time I hear The Impression That I Get, it brings back memories of the few good times I had when I was twelve.

Axver said:

Weren't The Mighty Mighty Bosstones ska/punk or something? Now, they weren't exactly a good band, but every time I hear The Impression That I Get, it brings back memories of the few good times I had when I was twelve.

I think they could be considered that, yes.

I like some early No Doubt, actually, but the genre as a whole makes my skin crawl.

Axver said:

I just feel like it's a formless mass of songs I like cobbled together into a vague sense of sonic cohesion. There's no reason why any of them are there. It doesn't make sense as a tracklist.

You're really not gonna like my playlist. :evil:

the tourist said:
I don't mind Arcade Fire so much. I just don't like Springsteen, Dylan, or Billy Joel.

Arcade Fire: Overrated, but have done some good things. Potential is there, anyway.

Springsteen: Fantastic. Classic musician. In my top three.

Dylan: Not a huge fan, but like some of the stuff and appreciate his contribution.

Joel: Liked the Piano Man album, not much else.

phillyfan26 said:

Neither am I, but I expect most others will.

Sort of like your "no metal rule."

I feel better for having broken my no metal rule, because it's allowed me to really achieve my artistic vision. But the following tracks will completely doom me:

7. Subterranean Masquerade - "No Place Like Home" - Suspended Animation Dreams (7:59)
19. Agalloch - "I Am The Wooden Doors" - The Mantle (6:11)
20. Arcturus - "Nightmare Heaven" - The Sham Mirrors (6:05)
21. Jesu - "Friends Are Evil" - Jesu (9:43)
23. Sculptured - "Our Illuminated Tomb" - The Spear Of The Lily Is Aureoled (7:25)

I deliberately made No Place Like Home the first metal song. Partly because it's not really metal! It's more atmospheric avantgarde death rock. Subterreanean Masquerade are possibly the band I know that most defies classification.

Oh yeah, and this run of instrumental post-metal is probably going to fuck me too:

16. Russian Circles - "You Already Did" - Enter (8:14)
17. The Sea, Like Lead - "Anticline/Syncline" - EP Split with Belegost (7:00)

the tourist said:

You're really not gonna like my playlist. :evil:

:lol: I recall Axver saying that my list for DI3 was very mediocre. I'm aiming for "Meh...above average" this time. :happy:

So I'm 19 minutes in. I want this over. It's taken up most of my lunch break. :mad:

I don't think Axver was too big a fan of my symphonic album, with the exception of my four song sequence of:

Miss Sarajevo > Your Hand in Mine > Sonho Dourado > Heartland

LemonMelon said:

:lol: I recall Axver saying that my list for DI3 was very mediocre. I'm aiming for "Meh...above average" this time. :happy:

As I made mine I had to remind myself: "It doesn't matter what Axver thinks. I'm in this to have a good time."

phillyfan26 said:
I don't think Axver was too big a fan of my symphonic album, with the exception of my four song sequence of:

Miss Sarajevo > Your Hand in Mine > Sonho Dourado > Heartland

What was the difference for symphonic DI? Was the music just supposed to be more... er... epic?

phillyfan26 said:

Arcade Fire: Overrated, but have done some good things. Potential is there, anyway.

Springsteen: Fantastic. Classic musician. In my top three.

Dylan: Not a huge fan, but like some of the stuff and appreciate his contribution.

Joel: Liked the Piano Man album, not much else.

As for me:

The Arcade Fire: Wildly over-rated, have some potential that they completely misuse. Wake Up proves my point.

Springsteen: Dull and almost cheesy/cliche in the studio (phanan's going to kill me). Good live. I feel in some ways that there's a cultural barrier that separates me from Springsteen's music.

Dylan: I like his lyrics and that's it.

Joel: Never paid attention. Doesn't seem like my thing.

It was only 80 minutes and the objective was flow.

In regular DI it's not a requirement ... merely the only way to have a good playlist.

the tourist said:

As I made mine I had to remind myself: "It doesn't matter what Axver thinks. I'm in this to have a good time."

:lol: Given my obscure taste in music, don't give a shit about what I think!

I made this really, really cool playlist that I wanted to use as a film soundtrack. I can't use it for any album games because I did some editing to a few tracks to make them fit together, but I may upload it later and make a thread for it in B&C if any of you would be interested.

Axver said:

Springsteen: Dull and almost cheesy/cliche in the studio (phanan's going to kill me). Good live. I feel in some ways that there's a cultural barrier that separates me from Springsteen's music.

Dylan: I like his lyrics and that's it.

Joel: Never paid attention. Doesn't seem like my thing.

:up: to all of that portion.

phillyfan26 said:
It was only 80 minutes and the objective was flow.

In regular DI it's not a requirement ... merely the only way to have a good playlist.

Ahh, I see.

LemonMelon said:

:laugh: Looking at your tracklist now ... good songs in places, but yeah, mediocre. Not quite as predictably B&C cliche as LMP's stuff, though. I'm not surprised he's done so well. His tracklists perfectly fit the usual crowd there.

phillyfan26 said:

Have you ever heard the Born to Run album?

Remind me what songs are on it. I know I've heard it but I forget which albums had what now. I haven't listened to any of his music in about two years.

LemonMelon said:
I made this really, really cool playlist that I wanted to use as a film soundtrack. I can't use it for any album games because I did some editing to a few tracks to make them fit together, but I may upload it later and make a thread for it in B&C if any of you would be interested.

That's one of my only problems with the games. I want to be able to edit bits here and there out of songs. Like when there is a little break and silence for like 20 seconds and then a 30 second bit that's an intro to the next track. I want to be able to edit that shit out. My playlist would've been different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom