Bloc Party - Weekend In The City - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2007, 01:08 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono
I saw Bloc Party in Chicago yesterday. it was pretty amazing. pushed my way up to the rail so I was right up front on Russell's side. Great crowd, lots of moshing - some guy even managed to get on stage . Song for Clay and Uniform were two of the highlights, so the new material works well live. still, it's all about some motherfucking Postive Tension. It's the stuff from Silent Alarm that really gets people going. What energy! overall a fantastic show, go see Bloc if you have the chance. get GA and have a blast jumping up and down a lot

Glad you had a great time. I told you you would!

Old 03-25-2007, 01:29 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
Finally got around to getting the new album. It's solid. I'm a little underwhelmed, but I've only listened to it once. I'll give it a few more spins and see if it grows on me. It probably will, as I definitely like the more serious tone to it. Silent Alarm is like a non-stop party, and A Weekend In The City is like the morning after. A bit slow and groggy, but sobering up.
This one definitely grows on you. I felt the same way after the first few listens, but now I can't take it out of my CD player!

Give "On", "Kreuzberg" and "Sunday" a chance. They're soooooo good! And nothing beats the 1-2 punch of "Hunting for Witches" into "Waiting For The 7.18"--the 2 best songs on the album!

Bloc Party

Old 03-25-2007, 02:05 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:14 PM
The album's already starting to grow on me. The intro to Hunting For Witches is so damn cool.

I wish they were touring somewhere near me. It's a pity they won't be in Ontario in early June when I go to see Roger Waters. This is really why I need to live in a big city. I would honestly move somewhere else just to get tickets to see all the bands I love. For the most part, only the lamest of the lame come to Newfoundland. Honestly, look at the lineup for Mile One Centre for the next few months:

Chantal Kreviazuk
Rex Goudie
Kenny Rogers
Gordon Lightfoot
Nana Mouskouri
Charley Pride

Old 03-25-2007, 02:14 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:14 PM
I know the feeling GibsonGirl. I live in Indianapolis which is a fairly large city, but I still end up having to travel to see a lot of the bands I want to see (like Bloc Party). luckily I have a couple other big cities within a day's drive.

Hunting for Witches is baller, and so much fun to play on guitar (though I can't get the intro to sound quite right, Russell's doing something with harmonics on the 7th fret, perhaps I just don't have the exact effect)
Old 03-26-2007, 07:07 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

I wish I was a day's drive from a big city. I could drive to Halifax in a day...only I'd have to take a ferry to get there. And no-one comes to Halifax either.

I can't stop listening to this album! Third time was definitely the charm.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:41 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Is it me, or are the booming drums on "Sunday" a bit reminiscent of Brian Chase's awesome dumbeat on Yeah Yeah Yeahs' hit "Maps"???

Old 03-27-2007, 12:57 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:14 AM
I still haven't got this album yet!....... and i started this thread!

Here's something from the WEEKEND IN THE CITY wikipedia article. Dunno whether it's true:

Liam Gallagher said in an interview for The Guardian, that he regretted his negative comments about the band when he heard this album. And that the final track, SRXT, made him "cry into a cushion for 15 minutes."[citation needed]
Old 03-27-2007, 01:51 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

Liam Gallagher said in an interview for The Guardian, that he regretted his negative comments about the band when he heard this album. And that the final track, SRXT, made him "cry into a cushion for 15 minutes."[citation needed]

I would believe this. SRXT is a TOTAL tearjerker!!!! A song about suicide titled after an anti-depressant drug. Wow. I think this album goes beyond the hangover!

"I remember moments of happiness
Endless summer, acoustic guitaaaaars
Being a man made me course
When I wanted to be delicate"
Old 04-04-2007, 08:21 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

I can't stop listening to SRXT. This is the saddest song Bloc Party have ever written.

Walking in the countryside
It seems that the winds have stopped
Tell my mother I am sorry
And I loved her

Old 04-04-2007, 08:52 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm addicted, so I got tickets to see them again at this little amphitheatre nestled up against the San Diego mountains. Kind of like Red Rocks, but only in San Diego and way, WAY smaller! It's gonna be SOOOOOO awesome!

And I really, REALLY hope they play "SRXT"; it is such an AMAZINGLY beautiful and sad song.

YAY! Bloc Party, again, June 16th!!!!!!!!!!!

(Oh yeah, and this time I've got GA on the floor, and not stuck up in the balcony. So you know I'm pushing my way all the way up front so I can see Matt up close and scream for his Amazing Spectacular drumming!)
Old 04-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 07:14 PM
I'm falling more and more in love with this album everytime I listen to it... It's much better than the first one in my opinion...
I really hope I can see them this Summer... They're coming to a festival in the same day as Arcade Fire...
Old 04-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by FitzChivalry

And I really, REALLY hope they play "SRXT"; it is such an AMAZINGLY beautiful and sad song.

they played it in Chicago the beginning wasn't so great because people wouldn't stop shouting, which was kind of annoying because it'd be so much more powerful if people would just listen. but, great climax.

have fun with GA, it's awesome get there like an hour early I'd say, at least. people do line up.

i want to see bloc again...
Old 04-11-2007, 10:08 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:14 AM
Let's Drive To Brighton For The Weekend....

Finally bought the album. It's a grower. Stand out tracks are Waiting For The 7.18, I Still Remember and Song For Clay.

Where Is Home? remains horrible for me after two listens. Hopefully, that will grow after a few more listens.

I find SRXT very hard to listen to. A depressing tune.

I've always found Kele O a little frustrating as a lyricist (and still do to some extent), but how intriguing are some of the lyrics on this album? I can't help but wonder at some of the ideas he's trying to address.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

Where Is Home? remains horrible for me after two listens.

Where Is Home? is definitely my least favorite song on the album, though I don't know whether I would go so far as to say that it is horrible.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by FitzChivalry

Where Is Home? is definitely my least favorite song on the album, though I don't know whether I would go so far as to say that it is horrible.
really? I absolutely love Where is Home?. The chorus is so powerful, and I love the odd structure of the song, as well as the drums. it's one of my favourites

Tags
bloc party