Bloc Party!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm really enjoying their album. It more than exceeded anything I was expecting.

Just got the album, didn't like it on first listen, too many ideas. After a few listens I really started to like it. I don't see the Franz Ferdinand connection other than the dance-y feel to some of the songs. They are definitely a group influenced by both Radiohead and U2. I can't wait to see where they go from here, I think as they mature they will sort out a lot of the problems on Silent Alarm.

got the album also. sounds great. i agree that there's too many ideas but it's their own ideas, which makes it sound somehow innovative. it's not just recycling stuff with 20 years as franz ferdinand do.
let's see where they go. the singer's voice is interesting too.

Well, I'll be different and declare I love it, loved it from the time I heard their first song on the radio.

I'm actually pretty peeved cos they're coming to Australia in July and I can't see them!!! :mad: They're only doing 2 club dates, the one I was going to go to is ALREADY SOLD OUT and it's too far for me to go the festival (Byron Bay festival - with Finn Brothers, Ryan Adams, Interpol and others :scream: ) Bloc Party are playing at. I'm sorry but that's not a tour, it's just flying over the top of the country.

Bands do this to Australian fans far too often!

bedouin fire said:
got the album also. sounds great. i agree that there's too many ideas but it's their own ideas, which makes it sound somehow innovative. it's not just recycling stuff with 20 years as franz ferdinand do.
let's see where they go. the singer's voice is interesting too.

Yeah I agree. They do sound more innovative than franz ferdinand. Perhaps a new rock fued?

I've liked "Banquet" for quite some time, man that guy can sing some high notes. The rest of the album is good though?, or should I just get the single?

Adam name-checked them recently.

thrillme said:
I've liked "Banquet" for quite some time, man that guy can sing some high notes. The rest of the album is good though?, or should I just get the single?

Adam name-checked them recently.

Get the album. There are songs that I like better than Banquet and Banquet was the reason I bought it. Its full of great ideas and some really genius parts. I'm very excited to see where they go from here.

TheRooster said:

Get the album. There are songs that I like better than Banquet and Banquet was the reason I bought it. Its full of great ideas and some really genius parts. I'm very excited to see where they go from here.

Glad to see you seem to be liking the album a little more now. I've been freaking addicted to it the last few weeks. I saw them play last night in SLC, they tore the roof off of the place. FANTASTIC live show, I recommend everyone who has the chance to go check them out (and check the album out). I'll probably post a review of the concert later today or this weekend in my journal (I'll provide a link here if/when I do).

I just want to say it again, they put on a FANTASTIC show!

u2popmofo said:

Glad to see you seem to be liking the album a little more now. I've been freaking addicted to it the last few weeks. I saw them play last night in SLC, they tore the roof off of the place. FANTASTIC live show, I recommend everyone who has the chance to go check them out (and check the album out). I'll probably post a review of the concert later today or this weekend in my journal (I'll provide a link here if/when I do).

It was only on the first few listens I wasn't impressed. The songs seem very cluttered with ideas. After numerous listens they still do. But there are some points where you just sit back and go "Damn, thats pretty good". It has really grown on me. But thats why I'm looking forward to their next few albums. They will grow more confident and be able to restrain themselves a little better and then I think they will just blow up the joint to borrow a phrase from the rap world. If I had to rate the cd it would be 7-8 out of ten.

u2popmofo said:

DON'T tell me this! I'm going to miss them when they come visit the eastern states of Australia. Tell me they were crap, it would make it easier! :madspit:

I farggin LOVE Bloc Party... I downloaded something called the "Peel Session" way back last fall or something on an mp3 blog... it had So Here We Are, Tulips, Luno, and Compliments. I was just blown away. The WOWY-like buildup of So Here We Are, the insanely simple yet catchy Tulips, the raw angry energy of Luno, and the darkness of Compliments, almost reminiscent of Love is Blindness. I think I love every song I've ever heard by this band. Pioneers and Plans both have what I think of as War-era drums... This Modern Love is a masterpiece... omg I love Bloc Party :drool:

I do worry that they'll suffer from overexposure, they're one of NME's bands to promote to death it seems...and I dunno about you but I got sick of seeing Franz Ferdinand all the bloody time (and I DO like Franz, I think Bloc Party is way better though, they're really only similiar in songs like Banquet).

I've downloade the Black Session from French Radio. And it is absolutely FANTASTIC. Awesome live performers.

They're on Conan Obrien tonight (Tuesday, June 14th). Everyone make sure to check it out. :up:

Whoa, The Decemberists and Interpol have concerts on that site too!!!! Thanks for the link, I'm going to have to listen to all of those! Awesome!

I was looking for a thread on Bloc Party, I love them, I love alot of there intros to songs, they have some really cool ideas. Sweet band!

They're great
about 160X better than the Killers who are probably their most comparable modern band

Apparently they're releasing some kind of remix album (for those of you interested in that kind of stuff). Some cool people doing the remixes, though that doesnt always mean anything. Anyways, there's the info:

Bloc Party have also just announced that they will release a remix of their debut album, Silent Alarm, aptly titled Silent Alarm Remixed. It'll have the same track order as the original album, and will feature remixes by M83, Death From Above 1979, Four Tet, Nick Zinner, and others. The first pressing will have a second disc with bonus tracks ("Storm and Stress", "Always New Depths", and "Skeletons"). Vice will release this lil' gem on September 13.

Tracklist:

01 Like Eating Glass (Ladytron Zapatista Mix)
02 Helicopter (Whitey Version)
03 Positive Tension (Jason Clark of Pretty Girls Make Graves remix)
04 Banquet (Phones Disco Edit)
05 Blue Light (Engineers "Anti-Gravity" mix)
06 She's Hearing Voices (Erol Alkan's Calling Your Dub)
07 This Modern Love (Dave P. and Adam Sparkle's Making Time remix)
08 The Pioneers (M83 Remix)
09 Price of Gasoline (AUTOMATO Remix)
10 So Here We Are (Four Tet Remix)
11 Luno (Bloc Party vs. Death From Above 1979)
12 Plans (Replanned by Mogwai)
13 Compliments (Shibuyaka Remix by Nick Zinner)

HeartlandGirl said:
Mofo, will you be buying this?

Honestly, I'm not sure. Depends on the price and reviews/impressions. I'm usually not all that into rock song remixes (hence why I've NEVER listened to any of the Placebo remix disc, the majority of the Manics remix disc, and actually have never purchased The Cure remix disc).

If that bonus disc is actual songs though, not remixes, I may pick it up just for those....

On the whole, I'm gonna say rock songs remixed and made into an entire album are usually not a good idea. Even I haven't listened to the Placebo remixes that often, and I don't think I've ever made it all the way through the Manics remix disc. I'd rather have B-sides and rarities.

A remix album? :no: The only remix I've liked was that Coldplay Clocks one, they're never a good idea.

Why won't this thread die? It keeps taunting me that I can't see them this weekend (they're at the other side of the country and all the tickets sold out pronto). I love them but they're BASTARDS! :scream: :(

u2popmofo said:
Apparently they're releasing some kind of remix album (for those of you interested in that kind of stuff). Some cool people doing the remixes, though that doesnt always mean anything. Anyways, there's the info:

Bloc Party have also just announced that they will release a remix of their debut album, Silent Alarm, aptly titled Silent Alarm Remixed. It'll have the same track order as the original album, and will feature remixes by M83, Death From Above 1979, Four Tet, Nick Zinner, and others. The first pressing will have a second disc with bonus tracks ("Storm and Stress", "Always New Depths", and "Skeletons"). Vice will release this lil' gem on September 13.

Tracklist:

01 Like Eating Glass (Ladytron Zapatista Mix)
02 Helicopter (Whitey Version)
03 Positive Tension (Jason Clark of Pretty Girls Make Graves remix)
04 Banquet (Phones Disco Edit)
05 Blue Light (Engineers "Anti-Gravity" mix)
06 She's Hearing Voices (Erol Alkan's Calling Your Dub)
07 This Modern Love (Dave P. and Adam Sparkle's Making Time remix)
08 The Pioneers (M83 Remix)
09 Price of Gasoline (AUTOMATO Remix)
10 So Here We Are (Four Tet Remix)
11 Luno (Bloc Party vs. Death From Above 1979)
12 Plans (Replanned by Mogwai)
13 Compliments (Shibuyaka Remix by Nick Zinner)

Haha, I have all those bonus tracks already. I think I have like every Bloc Party song ever, save remixes or live performances.

I might get this just because I love Bloc Party so much. But it depends, I'm not big on remixes...

I've only heard Banquet and So Here We Are.

Banquet is a great rocker of a song, short and snappy and that's the way it should be....

....but So Here We Are is something else. This is the song of the year! Pure masterpiece, absolutely brilliant, words cannot describe how much I lovr this song.

I'm intending to go out and get a dose of Silent Alarm. Hope it will live up to my high expectations.

What a promising band. The pretentious Franz Ferdinand can go and eat haggis as far as i'm concerned!

Bloc Party All The Way!

on the subject of remixes...check out Polysics' "Harajuku remix" of Luno...cool stuff

Back
Top Bottom