Bloc Party!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtomicBono

ONE love, blood, life
Anyone here ever heard of Bloc Party? They're an English band, all fairly good-looking, many different influences (though I didn't see U2 mentioned :slant: ), totally great somewhat-dark rock music. They remind me a lot of Interpol, but they're different. I can't really describe it. If you like The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Interpol, or any of those types of bands you'd probably like Bloc Party. In fact, I think most U2 fans would like Bloc Party because they're so damn good. Their songs have a lot of variety, probably because of their different influences...from their website (actually, a fan site, but I'm pretty sure the fansite got this from Bloc Party's official site):

Matt Tong. Drums

Date of birth: 29.04.79
Influences: Polvo, Neil Young, Black Sabbath, Fleetwood Mac,
Supertramp, Dinosaur Jr (the early stuff), Richard Brautigan,
Dead Meadow, Big Star

Kele Okereke. Guitar and Vocals

Date of birth: 13.10.81
Influences: Talking Heads, Kate Bush, Bjork, Kraftwerk, David
Bowie, Dizzee Rascal

Russell Lissack. Guitar

Date of birth: 11.03.81
Influences: Suede, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, New
Order, The Smiths, Prince, Weezer, Escaflowne (the anime? if so that rules.)

Gordon Moakes. Bass and Vocals

Date of birth: 22.06.76
Influences: Anne Sexton, JG Ballard, Joy Division, melodic
hardcore, Kubrick, Mogwai, British post-punk, Sonic Youth

I highly reccomend this band; I fall more and more in love with them everyday. If you want to know more, go to Blocparty.net (a fansite). They have some mp3s along with info, pics, message board, ect. I'd reccomend downloading the Peel session, which is how I first heard the band (from an mp3 blog) - So Here We Are, Tulips, Luno, and Compliments. I think those are still my favourite songs... and they all remind me of U2 in some way or another. So Here We Are has kind of a build-up and Compliments has that dark AB atmosphere. Then again, everything reminds me of U2, lol. Seriously though...this band is wonderful; anyone else agree?

I heard a song by them on the radio yesterday, though I can't for the life of me remember what the title was. It was very good though. It might have been "Banquet".

Thanks for directing me to that site! I listened to So Here We Are, and like it very much! I will definitely check them out some more! :up:

I've seen the video for 'Banquet' on Subterranean a time or two, and I made a note that I enjoyed the song. Thanks for providing the link and the info on them. :)

meegannie said:
Yep...they're NME's band to promote to death in 2005.

oh dear. Lord knows NME does wonders for shoving something down your throat every week. I stopped buying it last year because it was pretty much just Franz Ferdinand and The Libertines :shrug:

Bloc Party is pretty sweet. their album has leaked and it's really good. Probably not top 10 album of the year quality, but definitely well worth a listen.

beau2ifulday said:

oh dear. Lord knows NME does wonders for shoving something down your throat every week. I stopped buying it last year because it was pretty much just Franz Ferdinand and The Libertines :shrug:

Agreed... NME had turned me onto a lot of cool British bands (actually, they're how I first heard Bloc Party, with the song Little Thoughts, but it didn't really strike me much. I love the song now, though it's not as good as some of their other stuff.), but they're kind of annoying...they pick their bands, elevate them to godly status, and then criticize U2. Those bastards.

Glad to see more Bloc Party fans here :)

I took your advice and checked out the Peel Sessions. Very good stuff. I'm also digging "She's Hearing Voices." I'm surprised at how far ranging their songs are in terms of sound variety. I think that's why I like "She's Hearing Voices." Very different from the other songs of theirs I'd heard.

:up:

they're a good band but i wouldn't go mad over them. there are a lot more exciting british bands around at the moment - the others, the paddingtons, art brut, special needs, and best of all, babyshambles.

Back
Top Bottom