Black Francis - Bluefinger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
Has anyone else checked this album out? It's absolutely brilliant and probably the closest Pixies-sounding Black solo album since the last Pixies album.

"Threshold Apprehension" is badass.

Discuss.

I only found out recently that he had a new album out. Interesting that he's using Black Francis again. I've got a few of his older solo albums, but I've lost track of him more recently. I miss the Pixies. I had tickets to see a show on their reunion tour that they canceled so they could go film their Live in Boston DVD. That fairly recent documentary about their reunion tour, LoudQUIETloud: A Film About the Pixies is quite good, but it didn't leave me feeling super hopeful about there being another tour.

Incidentally, is that Admiral Ackbar in a Warren Moon jersey? :eyebrow:

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I only found out recently that he had a new album out. Interesting that he's using Black Francis again. I've got a few of his older solo albums, but I've lost track of him more recently. I miss the Pixies. I had tickets to see a show on their reunion tour that they canceled so they could go film their Live in Boston DVD. That fairly recent documentary about their reunion tour, LoudQUIETloud: A Film About the Pixies is quite good, but it didn't leave me feeling super hopeful about there being another tour.

Incidentally, is that Admiral Ackbar in a Warren Moon jersey? :eyebrow:

:drool: I'm just now getting into the Pixies and Black's solo work, so this is a perfect bridge.

Yes, yes it is Ackbar in a Moon jersey. You can't repel awesomeness of that magnitude.

"Threshold Apprehension" is one of my favorite FB solo tunes, easily. Fantastic song.

The rest of the CD isn't bad, either, but oh man that one song is so good.

it isn't bad no, pretty good even
but it's no Teenager of the Year

let alone as good as what he did with the Pixies

LemonMacPhisto said:
Yes, yes it is Ackbar in a Moon jersey. You can't repel awesomeness of that magnitude.

"IT'S A BLITZ!!!"

As for Frank Black Francis, I've been a longtime fan, and while nothing in his solo career has come anywhere near the Pixies work (save for Bossanova, which I've never been a fan of), I've enjoyed his various incarnations. Teenager of the Year, as noted above, is awesomely schizophrenic, and I thought the Catholics albums were great standard alt. rock by a guy who knows how to write a catchy tune with unique lyrics, esp. Pistolero.

I mean, it's all better than the fucking Foo Fighters, right?

Back
Top Bottom