Bjork is insanely awesome...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
I figure, Beck got his own thread, so maybe the other single-B-named prodigy musician of the 90's deserved her own thread too.

So, what's everyone's favorite?

Personally, I'd have to go with Post, but Homogenic is friggen awe inspiring as well. Her entirely catalog is excellent though, and I absolutely can't wait for Volta. :drool:

bjork1.jpg

It also doesn't hurt that she's gorgeous. :drool:

Post really is a mindblowingly amazing album. It's like she accomplished what Radiohead tried to do with Kid A, only 5 years earlier. (I'm not saying Kid A was a failure, you all know I hold that is one of the best albums of the last 20 years or so.)

And I guess sometimes I find her incredibly attractive, and other times not so much at all. I guess it all depends on my mood and her look at any given time.

Like:
Gorgeous (in a weird bjork sort of way of course)
bjork21.jpg

"Meh"
bjork7.jpg

Hmmm, listening to Homogenic again, I'm not so sure about Post being my #1. This album is so inventive and strangely beautiful. The only thing keeping it from being a definite #1 is the lack of that mild pop-sensability I love so much about Post. :hmm:

Vespertine has one of the best album covers in the history of recorded music. :drool:

Post is probably my overall favourite, but Homogenic and Vespertine come close, :drool:

I love Bjork, she's such a strange and wonderful creature, :) Her fashion sense is definitely "erwhatthe???" at times but at least she's never boring.

Lancemc said:

You guys don't like her Bjork-as-Audrey-Hepburn look???

I'm definitely in the Post, Homogenic camp, probably going with Post as my favorite, HOWEVER, I think "Unison" off Vespertine is one of her best songs ever.

I saw her at the Hollywood Palladium on the Post tour. She was really good. I want to go see her again at Coachella, but I have no one to go with. :sad:

(Oh. And some of the BAzillion "All Is Full Of Love" remixes are :drool: )

for you, bitches :rockon:

After the succes of the Tori Amos 'review' (which wasn't really a professional REVIEW, but just the notes I took when I heard the album), here's my review of Björk's new album Volta.

First of all: OMG how COOL is the new album?!?!?!11/1??!!?

To sort of get a taste of what I like and dislike in terms of Björk music: my favorite Björk album is Homogenic. I also really love Post and Vespertine. I was rather disappointed with Medúlla (especially when she didn't include the KICK-ASS original version of Where Is The Line with the beats+strings). When I heard Medúlla I thought Oceania was really cool but I thought the rest of the album was really 'difficult'.

Volta is more approachable, the Antony tracks work really well. I heard the album once and then I played Earth Intruders again because it's such a cool song. I should have played Declare Independence again because it kicked ass. but it's also very very noisy and I didn't want to annoy the other people in the office... smile.gif

Tracklisting right now:

VOLTA (48:52)
01. Earth Intruders (4:30)
02. Wanderlust (5:4Cool
03. Dull Flame (7:32)
04. Innocence (4:14)
05. I See Who You Are (4:22)
06. Vertabrae (5:0Cool
07. Pneumonia (5:14)
08. Hope (3:39)
09. Declare Independence (4:16)
10. My Juvenile (4:05)

- the version I heard was 48 minutes and 52 seconds
- I heard the mastered version of the album, but it's not the version that is going to be released; track order could still change, songs will fade into each other with sound effects (this is EXACTLY the info that is available at the record company)
- there is NO official album cover at the (dutch) record company as of yet
- LOTS and LOTS of brass and this bouzouki/harp/harpsichord-like instrument
- the Timbaland tracks KICK ASS
- NO STRINGS (NONE AT ALL)
- 2 tracks with Antony (from Antony & the Johnsons)

Here's the low-down:

Obviously a Timbaland track. Think Nelly Furtado's Maneater - only COOLER and Björk-ified. REALLY cool song, excellent way to start the album, very upbeat. There are these brazilian-type beats and cool synths. Seriously, Maneater is your best point of reference.
Lyrics:
,,We are the earth intruders / We are the sharp shooters"

02. Wanderlust (5:48)
Another upbeat song. This has BRASS and the beats are more synthetic, less heavy. The song ends with a trumpet loop and Björk whispering, then goes into bleeps and what sounded like MORSE code.
Lyrics:
,,I have lost my origin and I want to find it again
Wanderlust, relentlessly craving"
,,Until we get to the core"

This song has a brass intro, Antony joins Björk on vocals. The combination works incredibly well. I only got to hear half of the song, then the stream (I wasn't listening to a CD but an internet stream) sort of cut out. Bummer. Lyrics:
,,I love your eyes, my dear / Their splendid sparkling fire"
,,Like lightning flashing in the sky/ but there's a charm that is greater still"

Definitely another Timbaland track. This and Earth Intruders is as close to hip hop as Björk is ever going to get smile.gif Lots of singing about 'fear' and being 'fearless'. Interesting drums, could be a beatbox, and synth. I couldn't hear any 'real' (acoustical) instruments.
Lyrics:
,,It is still here, but in different places"
,,Should I save myself for later, or generously give"

Opens with kora , followed by cute bleepy noises. Laid back track, no beats, very pretty. The brass section comes in around 3-and-a-half minutes into the song. Could be about her daughter. Lyrics:
,,I see who you are, behind the skin and the muscles
I see who you are now, and when you get older later
I will see the same girl, the same soul, lioness, fireheart"

06. Vertabrae (5:06)
The stream for this song didn't work, so I couldn't hear it sad.gif Believe me, I tried a whole bunch of times.

Brass opening... Laid-back slow brass&vocal song. Lyrics:
,,You can trust in it, unless you breathe in"
,,I adore how you (aah) simply (aah) surrender to high"
,,And your lungs, they're mourning, teepee style
All the stillborn love that could have happened
all the moments you should have embraced"

Beats + kora. Lots of repetetive lyrics. I think this song is really about the tsunami and mother nature and stuff. Lyrics:
,,Here's my version of it, eternal whirlwind"
,,Nature has fixed no limits on our hopes"

OMG how cool is this song. Very very electronic, lots of noise, distorted noise, just NOISE. Incredibly cool and gets louder and heavier by the minute. Turns into a real punk track that reminded me of PJ Harvey (not that I'm a big PJ Harvey fan). This song is SOOO going to kick ass live. Bjork is just yelling and everything. Return to form, return to form, y'all! tongue.gif Lyrics:
,,Declare imdependence / Don't let them do that to you"
,,Start your own currency / make your own stamp
Protect your language / raise your flag"

K so I was talking to someone at the record company during this track, so I was distracted. Nice song with Antony and it also has kora on it again.

Overall definitely a cool album which is more approachable than Medúlla. I wouldn't call it 'pop' but Earth Intruders is Björk's most commercial tracks in years (but STILL so unique sounding). I was really afraid of her collaboration with Timbaland but it worked out REALLY well. And the Antony contributions are also spot-on, I hope he'll joing her for some shows.

SOURCE : http://www.sprk.nl/

Yeah, i saw that on atease. Terribly written review. But makes me unbelievably excited for the album nontheless. :hyper:

U2Man said:
for you, bitches :rockon:

After the succes of the Tori Amos 'review' (which wasn't really a professional REVIEW, but just the notes I took when I heard the album), here's my review of Björk's new album Volta.

First of all: OMG how COOL is the new album?!?!?!11/1??!!?

To sort of get a taste of what I like and dislike in terms of Björk music: my favorite Björk album is Homogenic. I also really love Post and Vespertine. I was rather disappointed with Medúlla (especially when she didn't include the KICK-ASS original version of Where Is The Line with the beats+strings). When I heard Medúlla I thought Oceania was really cool but I thought the rest of the album was really 'difficult'.

Volta is more approachable, the Antony tracks work really well. I heard the album once and then I played Earth Intruders again because it's such a cool song. I should have played Declare Independence again because it kicked ass. but it's also very very noisy and I didn't want to annoy the other people in the office... smile.gif

Tracklisting right now:

VOLTA (48:52)
02. Wanderlust (5:4Cool
06. Vertabrae (5:0Cool

- the version I heard was 48 minutes and 52 seconds
- I heard the mastered version of the album, but it's not the version that is going to be released; track order could still change, songs will fade into each other with sound effects (this is EXACTLY the info that is available at the record company)
- there is NO official album cover at the (dutch) record company as of yet
- LOTS and LOTS of brass and this bouzouki/harp/harpsichord-like instrument
- the Timbaland tracks KICK ASS
- NO STRINGS (NONE AT ALL)
- 2 tracks with Antony (from Antony & the Johnsons)

Here's the low-down:

Obviously a Timbaland track. Think Nelly Furtado's Maneater - only COOLER and Björk-ified. REALLY cool song, excellent way to start the album, very upbeat. There are these brazilian-type beats and cool synths. Seriously, Maneater is your best point of reference.
Lyrics:
,,We are the earth intruders / We are the sharp shooters"

02. Wanderlust (5:48)
Another upbeat song. This has BRASS and the beats are more synthetic, less heavy. The song ends with a trumpet loop and Björk whispering, then goes into bleeps and what sounded like MORSE code.
Lyrics:
,,I have lost my origin and I want to find it again
Wanderlust, relentlessly craving"
,,Until we get to the core"

This song has a brass intro, Antony joins Björk on vocals. The combination works incredibly well. I only got to hear half of the song, then the stream (I wasn't listening to a CD but an internet stream) sort of cut out. Bummer. Lyrics:
,,I love your eyes, my dear / Their splendid sparkling fire"
,,Like lightning flashing in the sky/ but there's a charm that is greater still"

Definitely another Timbaland track. This and Earth Intruders is as close to hip hop as Björk is ever going to get smile.gif Lots of singing about 'fear' and being 'fearless'. Interesting drums, could be a beatbox, and synth. I couldn't hear any 'real' (acoustical) instruments.
Lyrics:
,,It is still here, but in different places"
,,Should I save myself for later, or generously give"

Opens with kora , followed by cute bleepy noises. Laid back track, no beats, very pretty. The brass section comes in around 3-and-a-half minutes into the song. Could be about her daughter. Lyrics:
,,I see who you are, behind the skin and the muscles
I see who you are now, and when you get older later
I will see the same girl, the same soul, lioness, fireheart"

06. Vertabrae (5:06)
The stream for this song didn't work, so I couldn't hear it sad.gif Believe me, I tried a whole bunch of times.

Brass opening... Laid-back slow brass&vocal song. Lyrics:
,,You can trust in it, unless you breathe in"
,,I adore how you (aah) simply (aah) surrender to high"
,,And your lungs, they're mourning, teepee style
All the stillborn love that could have happened
all the moments you should have embraced"

Beats + kora. Lots of repetetive lyrics. I think this song is really about the tsunami and mother nature and stuff. Lyrics:
,,Here's my version of it, eternal whirlwind"
,,Nature has fixed no limits on our hopes"

OMG how cool is this song. Very very electronic, lots of noise, distorted noise, just NOISE. Incredibly cool and gets louder and heavier by the minute. Turns into a real punk track that reminded me of PJ Harvey (not that I'm a big PJ Harvey fan). This song is SOOO going to kick ass live. Bjork is just yelling and everything. Return to form, return to form, y'all! tongue.gif Lyrics:
,,Declare imdependence / Don't let them do that to you"
,,Start your own currency / make your own stamp
Protect your language / raise your flag"

K so I was talking to someone at the record company during this track, so I was distracted. Nice song with Antony and it also has kora on it again.

Overall definitely a cool album which is more approachable than Medúlla. I wouldn't call it 'pop' but Earth Intruders is Björk's most commercial tracks in years (but STILL so unique sounding). I was really afraid of her collaboration with Timbaland but it worked out REALLY well. And the Antony contributions are also spot-on, I hope he'll joing her for some shows.

SOURCE : http://www.sprk.nl/

:drool: :drool: can't wait

.....for those who cant listen to medulla all the way thru, the track to find is VOKURO, TRACK 4.... i love all her work but if it all went up in smoke tomorrow this is the track i would save.....and yes i want to have her babies (or something)

....the best dreams are the ones with Bjork!....:drool:

I tried to get tickets to the Red Rocks show this morning through the presale but didn't get anything. Had a lot of trouble with the site. :angry:

I'll try again in the general sale. The show I saw at Red Rocks in 2003 was to die for. Absolutely stunning.

It just keeps saying "loading" but nothing happens. It's a day of Bjork technical difficulties for me. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom