Bjork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
My new favourite. I'd sorta heard her stuff and been annoyed by her voice and her droning. Now I'm totally addicted to Post.

Current fav songs:
Bachelorette
Hyperballad
Army of Me

etc.

:up:
my headphones saved my life
voice like an icepick according to Bono

if you haven't seen it already watch"Dancer In The Dark".

Yes I very much want to see that film.

I've gotta say I'm very very impressed with all her music videos

during :heart: finals week :heart: the res. halls have insane 23 hour quiet rules. i liked to play "it's oh so quiet" RIGHT at 5.

the girls on my hall loved it, let me tell you.

it droned out mariah carey though, so it did its job.

i can only take a few songs of bjork at a time, her voice gets grating after a while.

I've meant to get her greatest hits compilation since it came out. I still havent though.

:bow: Bjork

Dancer in the Dark is one of the best films I've ever seen. The soundtrack never sounds the same once you've seen it. Haunting and beautiful, and the duet with Thom Yorke is incredible.

:bow:

I got into Bjork largely thanks to the guy I sat next to at my first job; he was absolutely obsessed with her. She's one of the music's true originals, :)

I'm still not sure if I want to see Dancer in the Dark; several people who saw it told me it's the most sadistic movie they've ever seen.

I think I will disagree with calling Dancer in the Dark sadistic, especially in a sexual connotation. The violence in this film is far from gratuitous or pleasurable.

I just saw Bjork at Red Rocks a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely stunning. An elegant, sublime, gorgeous performance. From my 8th row center seat, it was heaven. :heart:

Setlist:
01. Unravel
02. I've Seen It All
03. Scatterheart
04. J?ga
05. Hunter
06. Desired constellation
07. Mouth's Cradle
08. Heirloom
09. All is full of love
10. S?dasta ?g
11. Pagan poetry
12. Bachelorette
13. Hyper-ballad
14. It's In Our Hands (SPT mix)
15. Pluto

encore
16. Generous palmstroke
17. Human behaviour

030818_24_Santi.jpg

030818_50_ScottMorgan.jpg

I loved "Dancer in the Dark" but I also think it was kind of sadistic. That character was so pathetic and then the whole film you watch her just beaten to a pulp (figuratively). It was devastating!

I just got tickets to see her in conversation with Hilton Als in NYC later this month as part of the New Yorker magazine festival which I am attending for work. Somehow I managed to convince my boss that an interview with Bjork is an important literary event that I need to be present for. :D

it must have been wonderful joyfulgirl.
I didn't think the character Selma was pathetic or the movie sadistic. It was sad and shocking though. She allowed her principles to carry her to her fate. A tragedy.

I could have sworn I was listening to Bjork on the radio yesterday afternoon, covering an old song( the title of which escapes me at the moment) It sounded so much like her. It was a Norwegian band called "flunk", a track from a compilation album of bands covering old songs.
ahhhhhh I just remembered the song.."Blue Monday".
I only have the "post" album....so far. Bjork is on my "to buy" list:)

cass said:
it must have been wonderful joyfulgirl.
I didn't think the character Selma was pathetic or the movie sadistic. It was sad and shocking though. She allowed her principles to carry her to her fate. A tragedy.

Maybe 'pathetic' wasn't the best choice of words, but I didn't mean it in any derisive sense. I meant it in the sense that Selma's circumstances were so sad, grim and hopeless, her personality so innocent and childlike, that she evoked incredible compassion from the viewer who then just had to sit and helplessly watch her horrifying and unreasonably harsh fate unfold. So to me it was kind of sadistic in that it was like watching a little bunny rabbit get abused and slaughtered.

BUT, despite my issues with the script and director, Bjork's performance was brilliant. In fact, I got obsessed with seeing it again over the weekend and searched all over town for a copy to rent or buy but couldn't find it. :mad:

DiGi said:
those pictures are awesome.

here is an article from salon:
http://www.salon.com/ent/music/feature/2003/09/06/bjork/index_np.html

Great article, DiGi. I think this is an interesting viewpoint:

But for all that, Bj?rk remains curiously isolated, her music more loved than influential. Radiohead, probably her closest rival in the intersection of popularity and critical acclaim that makes up at least one definition of greatness, has spawned countless baby Radioheads. Bj?rk has no copycats, no one feeding so obviously off her achievements, because those achievements are so alien. Radiohead is very much of our time, the musical zeitgeist for the millennium, but Bj?rk and her music come from a different time and place. There are two options in placing Bj?rk: Either she is an anomaly, brilliant but finally irrelevant, or she is the most important and forward-looking musician of her generation. In either case, we will need to wait 50 years to really make sense of what she has done, and absorb her influence in any useful way.

just wanted to thank Bjork...I wonder if she knows what a poker machine is?

On the way to Brisbane on the weekend, the only way I could catch up with an old friend was to call in briefly at the club where she works. She was very busy, so i waited and dropped $2 in a poker machine to pass some time. I always choose a particular machine because of the "artwork" it displays. I chose one with penguins wearing headphones because I sincerely believe at one stage , my headphones saved my life. I got 4 penguins in a row and won $20...and I spent it in Brisbane...on a Bjork CD!!:)

Ok, here's some news and info on the upcoming album that is VERY interesting (vocals only, no instrumentation, etc):

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story?id=6184996&pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=single1

I also thought I'd put in here that I finally got her Greatest Hits cd a few months back, and I've been loving it!!! HeartlandGirl made sure I ripped some songs from the Dancer in the Dark soundtrack when she was here too :up:

By the way, I also thought I'd throw in that 'Live' versions of all her studio albums have just been released recently. Surprised there hasnt really been anything about any of this on here yet!!!

Last edited:
I've had the lucky pleasure of seeing Bjork live twice, in 94 and 96 and for both gigs I had front row, standing positions. She is truly great live, her voice is brilliant. I loved the sugarcubes and loved Debut and Post, but after that I kinda fell out of Bjork, I didnt really like her other albums. Fave songs would be,

SUGARCUBES
Birthday
Hit
Regina
Motorcrash
Deus Remix (this is possibly THE BEST remix or re-working of a song you are ever likely to hear, it is just stunning and sooo totally different to the original, the original is good, but the remix is great!)

SOLO
Isobel
Come to me
Venus as a boy (this song always makes me think of the ZOOTV gig I went to, back in 93, as I must of heard it like 5 times on the day of the concert)
Human Behaviour

I need to win the lottery so I can buy all the live albums and the new one. :|

Seriously, the new album sounds like it has to potential to be very cool. I think Rahzel was the DJ/announcer on SSX Tricky, so I'm stoked to see him on board for this. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom