Bitche, France Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're certainly not the only person I know who's said something like that. I've lost track of the amount of people I've met who would love to either be in the medical or education professions, but can earn much more elsewhere. And what's the solution of the government here to the shortage of teachers and nurses? Not to increase their pay, oh no. Make university courses cheaper and easier to get into! So all the dumb shits who aren't passionate about teaching or nursing but get rejected from everything else end up there, while the capable people who'd be fantastic teachers or nurses do other courses since they're smart enough to qualify and will be able to get a much better paying job ... :banghead:

My moms a nurse, but she works at the jail which is for the government so gets paid pretty good, and she does a home health care case through agency nursing and she gets paid really good there. But at the nursing home she didnt make half the money shes making now.

Oh right... But that means that Christmas isnt in wither!:ohmy:

Taking photos of trains all day? My friends carry around cameras everywhere they go to but mostly just to take pics of themselves and friends. Ugh my friends are so shallow. :tsk:

I firmly maintain that it's not Christmas if you can't go outside and have a barbecue. It doesn't matter whether or not I actually want to have a barbecue, just as long as the potential is there. Personally, I usually hide inside and bitch(e) about how fucking hot it is. :laugh:

I'm really shit at taking photos of people. We've had plenty of Melburnian Interferencer meet-ups this year and probably have about three photos to show for it! Despite the fact that during these meet-ups, I've had my camera out photographing trains and trams and anything unusual that I spot ...

I firmly maintain that it's not Christmas if you can't go outside and have a barbecue. It doesn't matter whether or not I actually want to have a barbecue, just as long as the potential is there. Personally, I usually hide inside and bitch(e) about how fucking hot it is. :laugh:

I'm really shit at taking photos of people. We've had plenty of Melburnian Interferencer meet-ups this year and probably have about three photos to show for it! Despite the fact that during these meet-ups, I've had my camera out photographing trains and trams and anything unusual that I spot ...

A Barbeque? On Christmas? :ohmy: That just doesnt sound right. Honey ham with pineapples, and snow outside. Thats how I like my Christmas.

Me too... Well Im bad at taking any picture.. My finger gets in the way or I miss what Im aiming for... Its just not good. Interference meet-ups? You people have met each other before? Woah. Are trams like the same thing as trains?

Nice rant! :up:

Here's the thing: My dream job actually isn't nursing, though that's what I was headed into, it's teaching. I would love to be a high school teacher. Specifically science! *points to custom rank* I love it, you never run out of things to learn about it, and when you get to the chemistry unit, you can blow shit up :D And I'm sure I've babbled enough over these threads of how much I love astronomy :lol:

High school teacher? You're insane! (Though I suppose you wouldn't be posting on here if you were sane. :wink: ) Teaching at the secondary level really does seem to be the absolute hardest. At least at the primary level, the young kids want to be there and haven't yet learnt to hate school, and at the tertiary level (where I imagine I'll have to lecture, even though I'd rather do pure research), you're dealing with adults who either want to be there or will just sleep through class and not throw paper planes around. Secondary, though, you're stuck with snotty teenagers! I know I couldn't handle it, heh. But I have a short tolerance for idiots ...

A Barbeque? On Christmas? :ohmy: That just doesnt sound right. Honey ham with pineapples, and snow outside. Thats how I like my Christmas.

Me too... Well Im bad at taking any picture.. My finger gets in the way or I miss what Im aiming for... Its just not good. Interference meet-ups? You people have met each other before? Woah. Are trams like the same thing as trains?

Ha, snow outside, we don't even get that in midwinter, let alone December.

Yeah, I've met the majority of the Aussie Superthread crowd. I was even in the same course at university last semester as major_panic! Ali and I have done a fair bit together, and I've met Bonnie, Jen, cin, TranceEnding, both Daniels ... hope I'm not forgetting anyone there.

Trams are normally known as streetcars in the US. The things that run on rails in the street. Most US cities got rid of theirs in the 1950s, as did most Aussie cities apart from Melbourne. Like this:

s640x480

(On the right is an SW5 tram from the 1940s; on the left is a C1 tram that's only a few years old.)

High school teacher? You're insane! (Though I suppose you wouldn't be posting on here if you were sane. :wink: ) Teaching at the secondary level really does seem to be the absolute hardest. At least at the primary level, the young kids want to be there and haven't yet learnt to hate school, and at the tertiary level (where I imagine I'll have to lecture, even though I'd rather do pure research), you're dealing with adults who either want to be there or will just sleep through class and not throw paper planes around. Secondary, though, you're stuck with snotty teenagers! I know I couldn't handle it, heh. But I have a short tolerance for idiots ...
I'm kind of a hard-ass with no tolerance for bullshit. Unlike Gerard Way, teenagers DON'T scare the living shit out of me, so I'll just send them to detention if they pull anything. what'd be cool is to teach at my old high school. I doubt any of my teachers will still be there by the time I get there, but it'd still be cool.

Ha, snow outside, we don't even get that in midwinter, let alone December.

Yeah, I've met the majority of the Aussie Superthread crowd. I was even in the same course at university last semester as major_panic! Ali and I have done a fair bit together, and I've met Bonnie, Jen, cin, TranceEnding, both Daniels ... hope I'm not forgetting anyone there.

Trams are normally known as streetcars in the US. The things that run on rails in the street. Most US cities got rid of theirs in the 1950s, as did most Aussie cities apart from Melbourne. Like this:

s640x480

(On the right is an SW5 tram from the 1940s; on the left is a C1 tram that's only a few years old.)

No snow ever, If its gonna be cold out I at least want snow with it!

Oh wow, so like are a lot of people on here from aussie?

Ohh ok yeah I know what those are. The red one is perdy.

I'm kind of a hard-ass with no tolerance for bullshit. Unlike Gerard Way, teenagers DON'T scare the living shit out of me, so I'll just send them to detention if they pull anything. what'd be cool is to teach at my old high school. I doubt any of my teachers will still be there by the time I get there, but it'd still be cool.

Itd be nice to have a teacher like that around here. Maybe then the kids here wouldnt have sex in class or sit around making phone calls or doing any of the other stupid stuff that happens at that high school.

We have those. We call them "light rail" or "trax". It's streetcars, only not as aesthetically pleasing. I'll have to see if I can find a picture of them for you, Ax. Ugly-ass things, stopping traffic on major roads every 15 minutes...

Utah trams:

TraxLight.jpg
TRO8_UTA_Trax-LR_2_rdax_300x451.jpg

And all the tram cars we borrowed from other cities when the Olympics were here:

TRAX4LRVs2.jpg

Last edited:

I'd probably get fired for calling the more disruptive students morons. :wink:

My high school had a primary school and preschool attached, and one of the teachers in the primary school was someone who did their entire education from preschool to grade 12 at my school, then got hired to teach there straight out of university.

Personally, I've met up with a couple of my teachers in the years since high school ended. We had good times.

No snow ever, If its gonna be cold out I at least want snow with it!

Oh wow, so like are a lot of people on here from aussie?

Ohh ok yeah I know what those are. The red one is perdy.

I've never lived anywhere where it's actually snowed during my time there. The last time it snowed in central Melbourne was 1951; sleet in 1986. :(

Yep, and then there's Kim and Ian in New Zealand (and of course my Kiwi self now living in Australia).

It is; I love photographing those ones. :drool:

I've never lived anywhere where it's actually snowed during my time there. The last time it snowed in central Melbourne was 1951; sleet in 1986. :(

Yep, and then there's Kim and Ian in New Zealand (and of course my Kiwi self now living in Australia).

It is; I love photographing those ones. :drool:

Snow is fun. :D Snowmen and snow angels and snowballfights!

Oh wow. I didnt know that. lol.

They look new and shiny.

We have those. We call them "light rail" or "trax". It's streetcars, only not as aesthetically pleasing. I'll have to see if I can find a picture of them for you, Ax. Ugly-ass things, stopping traffic on major roads every 15 minutes...

There is actually a technical difference between light rail and trams, though it's terribly pedantic and I personally just think it's a way of dressing up tramways with a "modern" name to try to re-market the basic concept. And wow, only every 15 minutes? On my route, one of the less frequent in the city, trams run every 12 minutes off-peak and every 4-5 at peak times.

I know back in the days of Melbourne's cable trams, as opposed to electric trams, their timetabling boast was "always a tram in sight" - and they lived up to it. Lucky bastards. That would be very convenient for me. :drool:

Utah trams:

And all the tram cars we borrowed from other cities when the Olympics were here:

Wow, those aren't the most aesthetically pleasing trams ever, are they? All too boxy! Some of Melbourne's more modern trams aren't that appealling either, but at least they tend to have some curves rather than looking boxy. I'm known for my partiality towards the Z3 class from 1979-84:

s640x480

:drool:

(They used to be painted in a much more attractive yellow and green until just a few years ago ...)

Snow is fun. :D Snowmen and snow angels and snowballfights!

Oh wow. I didnt know that. lol.

They look new and shiny.

I've been to the snow a few times, and yes, great fun! I'd love to live somewhere where it regularly snows, but I think I like Melbourne a bit too much to really want to leave it. Except maybe to go back to New Zealand, but that's really only a maybe. Going to Norway and living inside the Arctic Circle is also kind of tempting ...!

And you realise you're heading down a dangerous path; once I get going with trams, it's hard to stop the nerdiness! :lol:

I've been to the snow a few times, and yes, great fun! I'd love to live somewhere where it regularly snows, but I think I like Melbourne a bit too much to really want to leave it. Except maybe to go back to New Zealand, but that's really only a maybe. Going to Norway and living inside the Arctic Circle is also kind of tempting ...!

And you realise you're heading down a dangerous path; once I get going with trams, it's hard to stop the nerdiness! :lol:

Yeah I wouldnt want regular snow. Ill just stick with moving to Texas.... Maybe Chicago But just cause I love Chicago so much. Big City, the Cubs, the Bears, everything I could ever ask for!

Ok ok no more trams. haha. I have to leave soon for the beach. :lol:

They only run like 4 trains at once. Makes no sense, but that's out politico-commercial theocracy for ya :wink:

I know back in the days of Melbourne's cable trams, as opposed to electric trams, their timetabling boast was "always a tram in sight" - and they lived up to it.
Yes, but were they moving? :wink:

Wow, those aren't the most aesthetically pleasing trams ever, are they? All too boxy! Some of Melbourne's more modern trams aren't that appealling either, but at least they tend to have some curves rather than looking boxy. I'm known for my partiality towards the Z3 class from 1979-84:

s640x480

... and that's NOT boxy?? ... :shrug:

And at the risk of incurring Jen's wrath... behold, part of the Aussie Posse:
(with the ever-so-sexy 3D glasses on)

n633644138_453418_1490.jpg

Yeah I wouldnt want regular snow. Ill just stick with moving to Texas.... Maybe Chicago But just cause I love Chicago so much. Big City, the Cubs, the Bears, everything I could ever ask for!

Ok ok no more trams. haha. I have to leave soon for the beach. :lol:

I've been to Chicago, but only O'Hare Airport - had to go through it to get from San Francisco to Nashville. O'Hare's so fucking huge that it might as well be a city unto itself! Madness. Complete madness. My seaside New Zealand hometown never felt smaller or more far away ...

Shame you can't take a tram to the beach. Oh shit, there I go again! :wink:

Well, now there's the new Frontrunner that's actual commuter rail. It goes from Ogden to SLC to Provo in...I think it's 30 minutes or something. Would take 2 hours by car.

I've been to Chicago, but only O'Hare Airport - had to go through it to get from San Francisco to Nashville. O'Hare's so fucking huge that it might as well be a city unto itself! Madness. Complete madness. My seaside New Zealand hometown never felt smaller or more far away ...

You should always go to Midway! O'hare is too big! Chicago is just plain amazing though. And you like never have to drive to get to anywhere there because they have the CTA.

Haha. Nope cant even take the bus or walk anymore cause we moved a city over.

I spent four days in Chicago last year... O'Hare is huge, but nothing on Singapore airport. It doesn't smell of mould so much, either.

*still woozy from ExitMould fumes*

I did like the funky lights in one of the tunnel things under a runway in O'Hare...

P9110320sml.jpg

From left: Ax, Alisaura, Mysterious_jen and Cinnaminson

Yes, but were they moving? :wink:

:laugh: The efficiency of the cable trams puts Connex and Yarra Trams to shame.

... and that's NOT boxy?? ... :shrug:

Well, at least it's got the snub nose and slanted windscreen rather than just a boxy front. And I'm biased because it's an architectural descendent of my beloved Fiducia trams from Wellington.

And at the risk of incurring Jen's wrath... behold, part of the Aussie Posse:
(with the ever-so-sexy 3D glasses on)

:lol: That picture's awesome. And makes me realise that I need to go for a haircut bloody quick, since I haven't had a haircut since that photo!

Though I would like us to have that Phail session before a haircut, since this hair is good for rocking/Phailing out ...

Well, now there's the new Frontrunner that's actual commuter rail. It goes from Ogden to SLC to Provo in...I think it's 30 minutes or something. Would take 2 hours by car.

Ah, yeah, I've heard of that. Although the US is sorely lagging behind on public transport, some of the recent commuter rail services that have been introduced have actually been pretty innovative and some Aussie and Kiwi cities (less Melbourne and more Adelaide, Hobart, Auckland, etc.) could learn a lot from them.

You should always go to Midway! O'hare is too big! Chicago is just plain amazing though. And you like never have to drive to get to anywhere there because they have the CTA.

Haha. Nope cant even take the bus or walk anymore cause we moved a city over.

O'Hare was bloody insane. Couldn't believe how long it took me to get anywhere there. I think there were more people working there than there are people in my hometown. :crack:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom