Birthday Mix-Tape Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
I'm making a birthday mixtape in lieu of a birthday card for the lady friend. I really wanted to bypass the cheesiness of writing something inside of a card and thought music would be a better way of getting my feelings across. Do you guys think this is the way to go? Here's the tracklisting:

1. The Shins - "Sleeping Lessons"
2. Spoon - "The Way We Get By"
3. Modern English - "I Melt with You"
4. The Beatles - "I Should Have Known Better"
5. The Who - "I Can't Explain"
6. Bruce Springsteen - "For You"
7. Three Dog Night - "Joy to the World"
8. 311 - "Lovesong"
9. The Police - "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"
10. Coldplay - "Green Eyes" (only because it's one of her favorite songs; I'd rather use something from Viva la Vida Loca)
11. Simon & Garfunkel - "Old Friends / Bookends"
12. Hot Chip - "In the Privacy of Our Love"
13. Outkast - "The Love Below (Intro)"
14. The Drifters - "This Magic Moment"
15. Al Green - "Let's Stay Together"
16. The Zombies - "Time of the Season"
17. Earth, Wind, and Fire - "That's the Way of the World"
18. Billy Joel - "She's Always a Woman"
19. Blur & Francoise Hardy - "To the End / La Comedie"
20. Peter Gabriel - "Book of Love"
21. Thom Yorke, Jonny Greenwood, and the Nazareth Orchestra - "Weird Fishes / Arpeggi"
22. U2 - "The First Time"

Also, does this go from mixtape territory to being a full-blown soundscape, or am I totally off-base here?

Looks good to me, LeMac. LOVE the opening two songs, great choices and order on 'dem.

I only recommend the original Cure version of Lovesong to the 311 cover, but I'm extremely biased in that regard.

I like it, YLB. #9 might be an odd choice, in that it's really about unrequited love. I do love the song, though. Was my theme song for quite some time. :)

Thanks, guys. The "Lovesong" choice was a toss, not sure if she's heard the 311 version before. And for the Police track, it was either that or "Can't Stand Losing You", and prefer the former even though it doesn't quite fit.

Looks great to me. I've heard pretty much everything here a thousand times, so I can say that the flow looks alright too.

I, too, encourage you to use the original Cure version of Lovesong and, if you think the list is getting too close to soundscape territory, use the tougher IR version of Arpeggi.

Looks great to me. I've heard pretty much everything here a thousand times, so I can say that the flow looks alright too.

I, too, encourage you to use the original Cure version of Lovesong and, if you think the list is getting too close to soundscape territory, use the tougher IR version of Arpeggi.

Yeah, I'm probably gonna switch the versions out. The IR version of "Weird Fishes" is kind of our song, so I wanted to show her another version.

Went and changed it around last night, now I'm working on the cover:

1. "Sleeping Lessons" by The Shins
2. "The Way We Get By" by Spoon
3. "I Should Have Known Better" by The Beatles
4. "I Can't Explain" by The Who
5. "For You" by Bruce Springsteen
6. "She Bangs the Drums" by The Stone Roses
7. "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" by The Police (like NSW said, is about unrequited love, but explains how I felt about her before we started going out... except the marriage part)
8. "You're So Great" by Blur
9. "Green Eyes" by Coldplay
10. "The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room)" by Flight of the Conchords
11. "The Angel and the One" by Weezer
12. "Promenade" by U2
13. "I Wonder" by Kanye West
14. "This Magic Moment" by The Drifters
15. "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green
16. "Happy Together" by The Turtles (can't believe I missed it the first time around)
17. "Amoreena" by Elton John
18. "Time of the Season" by The Zombies
19. "She's Always a Woman" by Billy Joel
20. "Book of Love" by Peter Gabriel
21. "Old Friends / Bookends" by Simon & Garfunkel
22. "Admiral Ackbar Please" (had to include because it's fucking hilarious, Star Wars-related, and I closed her last mix with a Star Wars ref.)

Well done. I was literally clicking on this thread ready to suggest that particular FOTC song when I saw your revision had it.

And here's the CD Cover:

charlottescdcovervg7.jpg

The LaBeouf's only there to make the "Nononono!" joke.

Thanks again for the feedback, everybody.

Do you actually refer to her as The Lady Friend in real life?

No. She does know that I call her that on here though.

I put her real name on the real cover, but didn't want to post it here for obvious reasons.

Interesting. I mean, we don't know THAT much about you, so some random girl's first name isn't going to reveal much.

However, if "Lance's Mom" was printed on the cover...

Dead giveaway.

It was first and last name, so there you go.

Lance's Mom can be seen on the cover though, you just have to find her.

This is also true.

She dug the CD, but the real clincher was "Green Eyes," who knew? Mission accomplished, guys.

mission-accomplished.jpg

I like this revised tracklist quite a bit. While I was sad to see the potential Cure track leave, the Roses track more than made up for it. And anything Flight of the Conchords related is instantly worthy of a high five.

Back
Top Bottom