Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wanting to take a train back to Wisconsin one of these days, because flying is so godawfully rage-inducing these days, and plus - hey, seeing part of the country! But I was appalled at how much it cost to get a sleeper car ... for one way, the price was several hundred dollars more than flying round trip.

I cannot sleep in any sort of sitting position and wouldn't want to take the risk of assuming no one would be sitting next to me and I could lie down. :(

Ugh, this is the problem with a lot of long distance rail outside of Europe, in that it's often marketed at the rich leisure traveller rather than at the general traveller. I suppose because investment in passenger rail has been so terrible over the last few decades that it doesn't even BOTHER to compete for general travellers in many long-distance markets.

Eh, Crowded House... that's another Finn brothers machination, right? I've listened to their stuff on DI and elsewhere and never really got into them.

1. But you still believe I dislike it to some extent? I enjoy the album. It's good. It's just too long and has too much filler.

2. Could've sworn I didn't rank it dead last. I just don't know much about a lot of sixties bands, through a lack of exposure. I'd like to find more, but when it seems most people think sixties = Beatles and it's much easier to find music from the last two decades ...

3. I said at the time that it was nearly cut and I included it because I thought it fit, not because I'm a big fan of the band at all. God, most of the album it's from is hilariously bad and I made fun of Liam for it at the time I first heard it.

And your insinuations about my tastes are bullshit. It's like you intentionally want to cast them in as negative a light as possible.

1. Well, I mean, you called it bloated. I consider that a bad thing most of the time. Again, I'm not in your head, and your words weren't as positive about it as they could have been.

2. It's easier to find music from the last two decades? I'm sorry, but that's not a very good reason at all. Expose yourself to the decade more heavily and I think you may be pleasantly surprised. :shrug:

3. I do not recall that conversation offhand.

The last line of your post is just stupid, and awfully hypocritical.

Is the rage removal worth the extra hundred dollars?

Not really, unfortunately. Last time I looked (and this was last summer, but to be honest I can't imagine costs have gone down since then), it was about $700 ONE WAY for a train from Seattle to Wisconsin.

Flying home into my podunk local hometown airport is about $400-500.

I'm not rich enough to pay extra to avoid rage. :wink: Especially when it's costing me extra vacation days to spend the extra day or two traveling.

Not really, unfortunately. Last time I looked (and this was last summer, but to be honest I can't imagine costs have gone down since then), it was about $700 ONE WAY for a train from Seattle to Wisconsin.

I'm not rich enough to pay extra to avoid rage. :wink: Especially when it's costing me extra vacation days to spend the extra day or two traveling.

You could always hitchhike.

Fair enough.

I'd imagine that rail at those costs would be a way to do it once or twice, but probably isn't feasible enough to be done regularly.

Ax, I have the hardest time believing you like Split Enz or Crowded House, and I'm not trying to generalize your music tastes, it just seems, very unlike other things you seem to like a great deal

Dang, close race for biggest postwhore so far:

coolian2 28
corianderstem 27
Axver 26
LemonMacPhisto 23
bono_212 22
LemonMelon 21
phillyfan26 21
KhanadaRhodes 19
RegularBonoFan 13
phanan 9
RavenBlue 8
Screwtape2 7
blueeyedgirl 2
DreamOutLoud13 1

1. Well, I mean, you called it bloated. I consider that a bad thing most of the time. Again, I'm not in your head, and your words weren't as positive about it as they could have been.

2. It's easier to find music from the last two decades? I'm sorry, but that's not a very good reason at all. Expose yourself to the decade more heavily and I think you may be pleasantly surprised. :shrug:

3. I do not recall that conversation offhand.

The last line of your post is just stupid, and awfully hypocritical.

1. Well, I think it should be obvious that it IS a bloated album. Just read the tracklist. Certainly there's a skepticism that comes with any album that has a shitload of tracks.

2. Of course it is, when you're into prog, various metal subgenres, the Dunedin Sound, and post-rock, since they're recent developments and a lot of the talk in those circles barely reaches back earlier than the eighties. Most talk I encounter about 1960s bands is about stuff I already know and dislike. I haven't found a good starting point yet; my attempts to find more bands like The Shadows proved relatively fruitless beyond The Ventures. Maybe you could point one out instead of being a dick about it.

And it's true, given how condescending you are towards me in any music discussion, like my tastes and knowledge are inferior to yours.

Ax, I have the hardest time believing you like Split Enz or Crowded House, and I'm not trying to generalize your music tastes, it just seems, very unlike other things you seem to like a great deal

I grew up on them. Plus, I think it fits in with stuff like U2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom