Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know anything about the Shadows, either. And I consider myself very knowlegeable about music. :shrug:

For what it's worth.

So let's see, in your opinion, Culture Club are better than The Beatles.

Do I have this right?

:lol:
:sigh: i didn't say they were better. it's not fair to make such a comparison :tsk:

i don't disagree that the beatles had a tremendous influence on music, but i just don't like them. and believe me, i've tried. i can't name you one song i like. and i've heard all their hits, as well as a couple albums in their entirety.

:love:

Especially McCartney's horrible vocals.
a078.gif

Cori, the only reason that you don't see Get Smart on tv these days is contract disputes. The people who own Get Smart pulled it from TV Land and wouldn't let them play it anymore,

I've never had TV Land on any of my cable providers (that's probably a good thing; I watch way too much TV already). My exposure to those older shows is from afternoon reruns when I was a kid. And nighttime reruns, if you want to count my parents' obsessive watching of MASH reruns after the nightly local news at 10.

Don't do a Screwtape on us and criticise the person because of the ART

I don't hate Anne Hathaway, I hate the people who wrote the script for this new movie and decided that 99 needed to get with the times and not just love Max for who he was like the original 99 did. Was Max stupid? Yes. But did 99 ignore his failings because she loved him? Yes. Not because she was an easily dominated woman as the new writers seem to think she was, signaling to me that they knew next to nothing about the original show. 99 was one of the more modernized leading ladies anyways, after Mary Tyler Moore on every television show she ever appeared on pretty much.

I've never had TV Land on any of my cable providers (that's probably a good thing; I watch way too much TV already). My exposure to those older shows is from afternoon reruns when I was a kid. And nighttime reruns, if you want to count my parents' obsessive watching of MASH reruns after the nightly local news at 10.

Well, I grew up watching Get Smart as a kid. Probably on Nick at Nite, but I'm not sure, I just know I was raised on that show. :shrug:

:sigh: i didn't say they were better. it's not fair to make such a comparison :tsk:

i don't disagree that the beatles had a tremendous influence on music, but i just don't like them. and believe me, i've tried. i can't name you one song i like. and i've heard all their hits, as well as a couple albums in their entirety.

Fair enough.

But you're crazy. :wink:

I had to stop listening to True Colors, I couldn't get ahold of the rest of the tracks after Double Happy :sad: It was going so well too

Unshun me for a second and tell me what The Shadows did for music? I know next to nothing about them and am curious.

Hank Marvin is easily one of the most influential guitarists ever. He owned the first Fender Strat in the UK and the stuff he did with it was pretty much original.

Some folk he/The Shadows influenced: Pete Townshend, Mark Knopfler, Neil Young, Frank Zappa, Carlos Santana, and this obscure chap called George Harrison.

I think my thoughts are well summarised here: A band for the ages: The Shadows – Axver’s Journal – Users at Last.fm

Oh man, I forgot about Nick at Nite. I blame my parents for not getting cable TV until I was out of the house and in college. :wink:

I obviously disagree.

That's okay. I think Abbey Road in concept is brilliant: a first side of songs then basically the entire second half being a long medley. Kate Bush sort of did this with Hounds of Love and Aerial. It worked for her because each track was great. The thing with Abbey Road is that the tracks in the medley don't sound complete. They aren't great songs. It doesn't end up having the intended effect.

I'll tell you what, there are some great songs on this album so far.

I'm pleasantly surprised, since all the talk is about the medley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom