Billy Graham: Why Is this a Story??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonofnattic

The Fly
So Rev. Graham made a stupid comment 31 years ago that was his PERSONAL opinion, not knowing that a President was recording him, and now the media is trashing an 83 year old kind, humble man who is in failing health. Oh, and he's apologizing for his comment. No offense to any Jewish folks, but I don't think Rev. Graham should apologize to anyone. I also think he should tell the media to !@#% right off, those low-life, scum-sucking, money-whore hypocrites.

Weren't they all COMPLAINING about taped conversations as being IRRELEVant?

Anyway, I don't even think the story should've broken. Stupid journalist bloodhounds.

WoW, I really love Billy Graham, and was lucky enough to go see him when I was a little kid and he came through oklahoma city on a crusade. He is a great evangelist, and he's had a great life. He's also very human though. I am curious, what was his comment??

Graham stated to Nixon that he thought that Nixon should do something about all the Jews in the media, because he thought it would have disastrous consequences if Nixon let it continue to happen.

But I'm glad it was let out. We need to know what our respected people in our nation are up to. However, I do believe that Graham is sincere in stating that he doesn't believe that any longer.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Well, I don't think that in the context of the conversation that I'd say he was being "anti-Semetic." He also mentioned the Jewish friends that he had.

I may have jumped-the-gun in expressing my anger. Last night the story was everywhere I turned...print, internet, radio, etc., but today I've heard not a word on this. (which is a good thing)

Yeah, Billy's the only famous televangelist whom I really admire. Johnny Cash speaks very highly of Rev. Graham in his autobiography.

billy and jonny are the men. billy tells it as it is. jonny sings it as it is.

------------------
-deathbear

Well from what Melon has posted (and thats still all I know about this) we only see a little statement and have no idea of what else was said or what led up to that. Anybody could have said that, and without knowing their purpose or meaning it shouldn't be judged. Until I know ALOT more, I wouldn't even begin to criticize Billy Graham.

Okay folks. Lay down the crack pipes and back away slowly. None of you think telling the most powerful man in the world that he "needs to do something about all the Jews in the media" might just constitute Anti-Semitism? Jeez.

MAP

Actually, dude or dudette, I was the only one that said I didn't see anything anti-Semetic from Rev. Graham in his 30-year-old comments that were recorded without his knowledge that we'd be discussing this. He didn't say anything derogatory about "The Jews" as a whole, but was expressing his concern about the control of media. I assume that from his ultra-conservative-Southern-Baptist background he & others felt that "liberals" weren't going to give them a snowball's chance. It was just a stupid comment, yes, I DID call it stupid earlier but you didn't seem to notice. I don't think it's newsworthy, unless you want to focus on the part about a PRESIDENT recording 500 hours of conversation. THAT's a story!

Anyone who wants to call B.G. an anti-Semite should look at his long-term record of working with Jewish leaders and even working locally with rabbis in some communities (if I understand correctly). He even worships a Jewish guy!

Originally posted by bonofnattic:

So Rev. Graham made a stupid comment 31 years ago that was his PERSONAL opinion, not knowing that a President was recording him, and now the media is trashing an 83 year old kind, humble man who is in failing health. Oh, and he's apologizing for his comment. No offense to any Jewish folks, but I don't think Rev. Graham should apologize to anyone. I also think he should tell the media to !@#% right off, those hypocrites.

Weren't they all COMPLAINING about taped conversations as being IRRELEVant?

Anyway, I don't even think the story should've broken. Stupid journalist bloodhounds.

I'm not going to talk about Billy, but he's on NBC tonight.

------------------
*Proud owner, maker, and baker of THE U2 cookies*

Back
Top Bottom