Billy Connolly Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man

Thom's Bitch
Is anyone else a fan? He seems huge all over the world nowdays. His unique form of stand-up comedy just appeals to so many people I guess. I just watch a double DVD of his, one show from London in 1991 and one from London in 1994. Amazing stuff. He just seems to have this charm to him that even though he says 'fuck' all the time, your own grandmother still loves him! This is one man I have to see live before I die let me tell you!

Anyone else a fan?

He came to belfast last year and my whole family went EVEN my granny who is 60- she found his doirty jokes hilarious :ohmy:

He just seems to have this charm to him that even though he says 'fuck' all the time, your own grandmother still loves him!

:up:

I watched a series he did where he travelled all over Ireland it was funny- hes a funny bloke :up:

I've seen bits and peices of his recorded shows..he does have this incredible charm to his personality. I remember a few years back he promised to streak in a crowded public square somewhere in London I believe for Comic Relief if the public hit a specific total..and he shocked everyone by having the balls to go through with it on live tv.....:D..great guy

The Big Yin

I love Billy Connolly and the comedy he delivers. He is an observer of the human condition and like so many who have suffered, he turns the pain into humour...and hits the mark.
I refer to his routines constantly. "the mastubatorium" '"it feels better on the way out" "incontinence pants for heavy drinkers"
"slow metabolism?!! that's 5 fecking threee couse meals jammed in there!!!"
oh he's so naughty and SOOOOOOOO funny.

Another thing I really like about him is that he was sensible enough to marry an Australian woman called Pamela :)up: Billy) She has helped him come to terms with his past and has written his biography simply called "billy". My friend who knows me well strongly, very strongly advised that I do not read it. I know the broad outline, that is enough. he is a survivor.

I have been so taken away by laughter caused by a story being told by Billy, that I consider him to be a "healer"
I love the unabashed joy he finds in music too. He is not that great a banjo player and singer, but he "gives it a go" I like that.
I have bits and pieces of him on video tape. I came across him yesterday when looking for a place to tape the new Archie Roach song. I couldn't tape over Billy, magic moment..... Billy riding along on his 3 wheeler, the sun a shinin' , singing top note...

"oh how can you buy the sun up in the sky
how can you buy two blue irish eyes...
can't remember the next bit...lalalla
Well then you'd own Killarney"......"home of the Gods" (according to billy, I believe him)

He finds beauty and joy and humour in simple situations...I love the man, love his heart, love his work.
:heart: :up: :heart: Billy

I just saw the Billy Connelly 1994 video yesterday. I had seen him make guest appearances on some sitcoms before but this was the first time I saw his stand-up routine. That was some funny shit! I laughed out loud several times. One of the cool things about him is that he seems to be genuinely enjoying himself onstage. He even cracked himself up several times.

I love Billy Connolly and just like you bono_man I have thought that he is one person I want to see live one day, I think if you were to sit through one of his shows you would walk out with the saorest sides from laughing so much......and speaking of Grandmas and Billy I watched one of his shows where he is touring around Ireland with my grandparents and my Dad just recently and yes whilst he is swearing all the time, you dont mind cause that is the way he is and we were all laughing so much, he made a joke about Irish dancing that had me laughing for ages and with sore sides, he was at a show in Ireland telling the audience that he had come up with a musical for alcoholics called 'liverdance!'- I love that......anyway hopefully he will make it back to Australia some time soon:)

and Cass I just love what you said in your line bleow your avatar that was truly a magical night, I remember it so vividly, the heat from the day and then that magical storm at the end of the show, I distinctly remember the light rain falling and the lightmimg in the sky as I listened to the haunting sounds of 'Love is blindess' and all of those eerie black images on the screens- ahhhh what beautiful memories:)

humour and the great outdoors -fine blend

Bit naughty giving away Billy's routines...but I can't resist this one.
He was telling the audience about the annual gay mardis gras in Sydney and what a lot of fun it is. He ended up in the parade with the Monica Lewinskis.
He suggested some alternatives -

The lardi gras....for fat people
the tardy gras....for habitually late people(fastest ****ing parade in history, get out of my way I'm late!!):lmao:

Billy o Billy:heart:

But I also love the glimpses of the places he is travelling thru at the time. He was on "the snake" in the north of England somewhere in the last episode.. I love the out of the way places he finds, the different angles to a regions history that he reveals.
I could go on.........:D...one more...

His routine about the beach....."I hate the beach, but I had children, so off to the fecking beach I go. GREAT the children are grown up, no more beach for me. NOW my daughter has a baby. granda, take baby to he beach for a while.......off to the beach I go, AGAIN!!!" :heart: of gold imho

Back
Top Bottom