Billie Holliday: Sell her to me!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danospano

Refugee
hahahahha....I'm just curious to know more about her. I know U2 was inspired to write "Angel of Harlem" due to her now legendary persona, but what should I know about her?

What I'm trying to say is; what should I know about her, which would make me interested in checking out her music?

I know she was into drugs, and seemingly broke a lot of rules about music back in the 1930's.

What else?

LOL...I just read what I wrote and must admit that I was drunk when I posted it. :) Is that wrong? Well, at least I was happy when I wrote it (smirks)

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify the repetitious language. :)

If you like to cook and have people over for dinner, you have to have some Billie.

I dunno how to "sell" her to you, other than to tell you to listen to her. Her ghostly vocal in "Strange Fruit" is essential, but also hunt out some brighter fare like "Blue Moon" or something.

One of the best artists of the 20th Century - BAR NONE!!!
O.K. - Louis Armstrong and a few others but she's right up there.
Too bad Angel of Harlem doesn't do her justice. Decent enough tune but hardly a groundbreaking or for that matter heartbreaking U2 song.

calling someone who didnt write most of there own songs the "one of the best artists of the 20th century".............

well, "Angel Of Harlem" musically is a rip off of "Like A Rolling Stone" from Bob Dylan....however I digresss....

yeah, Bono mentions "Lady Day"; her nickname, and John Coltrane and his masterpiece "A Love Supreme", and Miles Davis in the song....

I feel that Bono is a genuine fan of these and other Jazz artists...
especially the singers (Billie, Sinatra..I wonder what he thinks of Ella Fitzgerald?).

Billie Holiday is definitely an acquired taste.....but you've got to remember: she was like the Nine Inch Nails of 1940.

When you think about the lyrics of "Strange Fruit" and listen to her performance, it really is one of the finest moments in Jazz.

:bow:

flangerchorus said:
calling someone who didnt write most of there own songs the "one of the best artists of the 20th century".............

oh please.:rolleyes:

fucking Miles Davis didn't write most of the tunes he performed....you gonna make that argument with HIM?

This thread is crazy old.
flangerchorus said:
Which is a testament to her voice. Some artists are important because of what they say, some are important because of how they say it, some do both well. Doesn't matter to my ears.

You're missing out on an awful lot if you have the (strictly white rock) mentality of "they have to write it for it to matter."

typhoon your taking me way to seriously, ive read up about her in the past, i know her impact, but my point was, which i should have said in my first post, is being impactful and being the best are different things, did she have a HUGE impact on music? YES! was she "one of the best"? thats a matter of personal taste

So what does the fact that she didn't write her own music have to do with anything? I don't think you understand your own point, so forgive me if I don't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom