Billboard Names Reba McEntire "Woman of the Year"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsMofoGone

Blue Crack Addict
Billboard Names Reba Woman of the Year
By Associated Press
Sat Sep 15, 3:30 AM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Billboard magazine has picked Reba McEntire for its first "Woman of the Year" award. The magazine says the award coincides with its second annual Women in Music issue, which will be published in early October.

Billboard Group editorial director Tamara Conniff says the country star was chosen for the honor because of her wide success in music, television, movies and publishing.

"Reba is an inspiration to women everywhere and we are delighted to be presenting her with this award," Conniff said.

McEntire, 53, has a new album of duets coming out next week that pairs her with artists such as Justin Timberlake, Don Henley, Kelly Clarkson, Kenny Chesney, Carole King and Faith Hill.

"I am thrilled to be selected as Woman of the Year by Billboard," McEntire said in a statement. "Although my career has taken me to TV, film and Broadway, music is and always will be my first love. I am touched to be embraced in such a warm way."

McEntire grew up on a cattle ranch in Oklahoma, where her father, Clark McEntire, was a champion calf roper.

After being discovered by cowboy singer Red Steagall in 1974, she struggled through the late '70s to build a singing career in Nashville. She scored her first major hit in 1980 with "(You Lift Me Up) to Heaven." Her other No. 1 hits include "Little Rock" and "What Am I Gonna Do About You."

What exactly has she done this year to warrant this though? Not saying she doesn't deserve it, but it only mentions an album that hasn't come out yet, and her terribly annoying television show.

I didn't know she'd been up to a lot this year besides that Kelly Clarkson duet, but thumbs up, not a huge country fan but she's a class act and really likeable.

Originally posted by Lancemc
This year? THey make it sound more like a career achievement honor or something.

It doesn't have to do with her career 'THIS YEAR' in particular, it's just because that's when the award was first known.

Billboard never had an award for 'Woman Of The Year' until now ... so, I can take it as she's being honored because of her inspiration to women, let alone, her past achievements as well.

Back
Top Bottom