Bill, Wyo. Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the tourist said:
I'm really excited for the desert island game. I don't think it existed when I was previously on interference!

I think mine will be the darkest there. I'm intentionally going for artistic effect and I don't expect to win a single round. I kind of want to lose. It would suit my concept.

It'll be nice to be just a regular contestant for a change too.

coolian2 said:

I've used it in real life, but i need to use it more here than isn't in this thread. Then it would go like wildfire.

Abrakadabra, Motherfucker is a good term too.

Axver said:

:lol: Yeah, the advertising in stadiums is just ridiculous too. I can appreciate having signs like "drink drive, bloody idiot" - those sorts of things should be plastered everywhere. But I'm not going to shop at Dick Smith just because I saw the place advertised, and some don't even make sense! I noticed in the just-finished tri-series, some company had bought shitloads of advertising and just used their acronym. I still have no idea who they are or what they do!

But fuck, there must be something in it, since New Zealand even lost co-hosting the 2003 Rugby World Cup over it. And yeah, if it's keeping the place going, I'll put up with it. Not happily, but it's not the biggest deal.

Signs i like: Something saying which city the venue is in
Signs i don't give a shit about: Everything else, except..
Signs i fucking hate: Animated signs.

Axver said:

I think mine will be the darkest there. I'm intentionally going for artistic effect and I don't expect to win a single round. I kind of want to lose. It would suit my concept.

It'll be nice to be just a regular contestant for a change too.

Mine will probably be the poppiest of the bunch. That and probably half the stuff will be unknown to most people.

I really have a loose concept right now. I want to tighten it up a lot. I haven't honestly worked on it in about three months, so I need to get on that.

Thankfully I'm on my lunchbreak now. And I still have another 15 (with only 2 hours to go).

coolian2 said:
I love Mt Smart - how's that for a sense of history. Although another good year for the Warriors and some dick will jump on board and we'll have the GFY Bank Stadium.

I call it the Cake Tin (i hear pretentious Wellingtonians take exception to that though).

I can't, offhand, think of a worse name than Credit Union Australia Stadium Penrith. Fuck. Off.

Also, you'd best get your hell ready to pay. Prime Finance Basin Reserve. Here's a thought, go fuck yourself.

:lol: I'm almost tempted to pony up some money to rename some inconsequential small town stadium "GFY Bank Stadium" for the lulz. It'd probably get the place more attention than it ever has received before!

I seriously didn't know any Wellingtonians dislike the term Cake Tin until I read on Wikipedia that they supposedly do. I still don't believe it. Everybody I know in Wellington calls it the Cake Tin. I wouldn't call it anything else. It's a fucking great name.

Credit Union Australia Stadium Penrith? Holy shit. I hadn't heard of that one. My favourites are the ones that people don't actually realise are sponsorship names, like Aussie Stadium in Sydney. I didn't realise that at first. I thought it was a nickname for Stadium Australia/Telstra Stadium.

PRIME FINANCE BASIN RESERVE?! That's happening? Prime Finance, it's time to die, bitch.

coolian2 said:

Signs i like: Something saying which city the venue is in
Signs i don't give a shit about: Everything else, except..
Signs i fucking hate: Animated signs.

You do realise animated signs are all created by the Phail Collins Ad Agency?

Nothing like a cd with two whole albums (Fine China's "Jaws of Life" and Jeremy Enigk's "Return of the Frog Queen") on it, on repeat. :drool:

the tourist said:

Mine will probably be the poppiest of the bunch. That and probably half the stuff will be unknown to most people.

I now wish I hadn't used Exit in my last submission because it'd be a great and very ambiguous closer for my current idea.

Axver said:

I now wish I hadn't used Exit in my last submission because it'd be a great and very ambiguous closer for my current idea.

I was actually thinking of using the Exit remaster on mine. But I'm not sure.

What's the status on singers being in multiple bands/having solo projects? Like, for instance, Jeremy Enigk is the singer of Sunny Day Real Estate, The Fire Theft, and has 3 solo albums. Would I be able to select one track from each, if I so choose?

the tourist said:

I was actually thinking of using the Exit remaster on mine. But I'm not sure.

I'm going to be bold. Fuck Interference, I'm not going to limit myself to non-metal. I Am The Wooden Doors by Agalloch is so in.

Axver said:

I'm going to be bold. Fuck Interference, I'm not going to limit myself to non-metal. I Am The Wooden Doors by Agalloch is so in.

I figured yours would be all metal.

the tourist said:
What's the status on singers being in multiple bands/having solo projects? Like, for instance, Jeremy Enigk is the singer of Sunny Day Real Estate, The Fire Theft, and has 3 solo albums. Would I be able to select one track from each, if I so choose?

Yes, go right ahead. My last entry had tracks by Split Enz, Crowded House, the Finn Brothers, and Neil Finn solo.

Basically, we established that as long as the work exists as a separate entity, it can be used. I recall using as a limiter the example of The Shadows. They were an independent band, but also functioned as Cliff Richard's backing band. You could use a Shadows song and a Cliff Richard song that happens to have The Shadows as his backing band, but you can't use a Cliff Richard song and a Cliff Richard song that happens to have The Shadows as his backing band.

And to avoid arguments, Passengers tracks do not count for U2. This suits both the "Passengers is not U2, OMG I DUNNA UNDASTAND SOODONIMS!!!1!!1" crowd and those of us who do think Passengers counts as a U2 album - it's a loophole that gets U2 in there twice!

Just as I know mine will have no metal. And the closest thing to metal will be PT.

the tourist said:

I figured yours would be all metal.

Except for my first submission and one track I submitted for the Symphonic Island Supertracklist, I have never used metal because I figure most people aren't open to it. But fuck it, I have an artistic vision here and I'll use whatever tracks achieve it, regardless of genre.

Axver said:

Yes, go right ahead. My last entry had tracks by Split Enz, Crowded House, the Finn Brothers, and Neil Finn solo.

Basically, we established that as long as the work exists as a separate entity, it can be used. I recall using as a limiter the example of The Shadows. They were an independent band, but also functioned as Cliff Richard's backing band. You could use a Shadows song and a Cliff Richard song that happens to have The Shadows as his backing band, but you can't use a Cliff Richard song and a Cliff Richard song that happens to have The Shadows as his backing band.

And to avoid arguments, Passengers tracks do not count for U2. This suits both the "Passengers is not U2, OMG I DUNNA UNDASTAND SOODONIMS!!!1!!1" crowd and those of us who do think Passengers counts as a U2 album - it's a loophole that gets U2 in there twice!

That's good news as I will be wanting to put in Starflyer 59 and The Brothers Martin (Jason Martin being the singer of both).

Axver said:

Except for my first submission and one track I submitted for the Symphonic Island Supertracklist, I have never used metal because I figure most people aren't open to it. But fuck it, I have an artistic vision here and I'll use whatever tracks achieve it, regardless of genre.

So how does it work, anyway? Do people zip the songs up and post them on mediafire so people can hear all the tunes they're not familiar with? Or is it just based on preconceptions of bands and songs?

coolian2 said:

That bastard is responsible for a lot of fuckups

Well, he is an epic Phail.

... thank you, I'll be here all week.

the tourist said:

So how does it work, anyway? Do people zip the songs up and post them on mediafire so people can hear all the tunes they're not familiar with? Or is it just based on preconceptions of bands and songs?

After the latter caused some really good stuff to not advance past the heats in the first tournament, we've relied on the former. Uploads were initially voluntary, but are now mandatory. Anybody who can't upload their tracklist will be disqualified.

:wave: I'm going for 3rd time lucky that I exist today. :wink: Can you all see me? I think I'm here but no one's talking to me :( I phail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom