Bill, Wyo. Superthread - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-07-2008, 01:46 AM   #436
Blue Crack Addict
 
Varitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on borderland we run
Posts: 16,861
Local Time: 10:18 PM
next to of course god america i
love you land of the pilgrims' and so forth oh
say can you see by the dawn's early my
country 'tis of centuries come and go
and are no more what of it we should worry
in every language even deafanddumb
thy sons acclaim your glorious name by gorry
by jingo by gee by gosh by gum
why talk of beauty what could be more beaut-
iful than these heroic happy dead
who rushed like lions to the roaring slaughter
they did not stop to think they died instead
then shall the voice of liberty be mute?"

He spoke. And drank rapidly a glass of water
__________________

__________________
Varitek is offline  
Old 03-07-2008, 01:47 AM   #437
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,016
Local Time: 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl

Paul Kelly
Weddings Parties Anything/Mick Thomas
Sime Nugent

I know OF the first two. I'm sure I'd recognise Paul Kelly's stuff if you played it for me, though I'm having trouble recalling his songs off the top of my head.
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 03-07-2008, 01:47 AM   #438
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,955
Local Time: 07:18 PM
No one likes my Bomb tracklist?
__________________
the tourist is offline  
Old 03-07-2008, 01:48 AM   #439
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,016
Local Time: 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the tourist
On-the-fly HTDAAB tracklisting:

City of Blinding Lights (mixed better, not neutered)
Native Son (a kick-ass finalized version)
All Because of You (with better lyrics and a stronger vocalization on the chorus)
Xanax and Wine (see Native Son notes)
Smile (with more backing vocals from Edge)
Yahweh (see City of Blinding Lights notes)
Love and Peace or Else (some better lyrics, more guitars, better solo, longer outro)
Electrical Storm (original, not William Orbit)
Miracle Drug (If God Will Send His Angels treatment to verses--especially the "freedom has a scent..." prechorus and the "luuuu-uhhh-uhhh-uhhh-uhhh-uhhh-uhhhv" part of the second prechorus)
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (stripped down instrumentation, better mixing)
Original of the Species (the single version)
One Step Closer (more sparse and ethereal).
I like this a lot, except for the inclusion of SYCMIOYO, which really just should never have been released in the first place.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 03-07-2008, 01:48 AM   #440
Blue Crack Addict
 
Varitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on borderland we run
Posts: 16,861
Local Time: 10:18 PM
Listen, you morons great and small
to the tale of an intellectuall
(and if you don't profit by his career
don't ever say Hoover gave nobody beer).

'Tis frequently stated out where he was born
that a rose is as weak as its shortest thorn:
they spit like quarters and sleep in their boots
and anyone dies when somebody shoots
and the sheriff arrives after everyone's went;
which isn't,perhaps,an environment
where you would(and I should) expect to find
overwhelming devotion to things of the mind.
But when it rains chickens we'll all catch larks
-- to borrow a phrase from Karl the Marks.

As a child he was puny;shrank from noise
hated the girls and mistrusted the boise,
didn't like whisky,learned to spell
and generally seemed to be going to hell;
so his parents,encouraged by desperation,
gave him a classical education
(and went to sleep in their boots again
out in the land where women are main).

You know the rest:a critic of note,
a serious thinker,a lyrical pote,
lectured on Art from west to east
--did sass-seyeity fall for it? Cheast!
if a dowager balked at our hero's verse
he'd knock her cold with a page from Jerse;
why,he used to say to his friends, he used
"for getting a debutante gived me Prused"
and many's the heiress who's up and swooned
after one canto from Ezra Pooned
(or--to borrow a cadence from Karl the Marx--
a biting chipmunk never barx).

But every bathtub will have its gin
and one man's sister is another man's sin
and a hand in the bush is a stitch in time
and Aint It All a Bloody Shime
and he suffered a fate which is worse than death
and I don't allude to unpleasant breath.

Our blooming hero awoke,one day,
to find he had nothing whatever to say:
which I might interpret(just for fun)
as meaning the es of a be was dun
and I mightn't think(and you mightn't,too)
that a Five Year Plan's worth a Gay Pay Oo
and both of us might irretrievably pause
ere believing that Stalin is Santa Clause:
which happily proves that neither of us
is really an intellectual cus.

For what did our intellectual do,
when he found himself so empty and blo?
he pondered a while and he said,said he
"It's the social system,it isn't me!
Not I am a fake,but America's phoney!
Not I am no artist,but Art's bologney!
Or--briefly to paraphrase Karl the Marx--
'The first law of nature is,trees will be parx.'

Now all you morons of sundry classes
(who read the Times and who buy the Masses)
if you don't profit by his career
don't ever say Hoover gave nobody beer.

For whoso conniveth at Lenin his dream
shall dine upon bayonets,isn't and seam
and a miss is as good as a mile is best
for if you're not bourgeois you're Eddie Gest
and wastelands live and waistlines die,
which I very much hope it won't happen to eye;
or as comrade Shakespeare remarked of old
All that Glisters Is Mike Gold

(but a rolling snowball gathers no sparks
--and the same hold true of Karl the Marks).
__________________
Varitek is offline  
Old 03-07-2008, 01:48 AM   #441
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the tourist
On-the-fly HTDAAB tracklisting:

City of Blinding Lights (mixed better, not neutered)
Native Son (a kick-ass finalized version)
All Because of You (with better lyrics and a stronger vocalization on the chorus)
Xanax and Wine (see Native Son notes)
Smile (with more backing vocals from Edge)
Yahweh (see City of Blinding Lights notes)
Love and Peace or Else (some better lyrics, more guitars, better solo, longer outro)
Electrical Storm (original, not William Orbit)
Miracle Drug (If God Will Send His Angels treatment to verses--especially the "freedom has a scent..." prechorus and the "luuuu-uhhh-uhhh-uhhh-uhhh-uhhh-uhhhv" part of the second prechorus)
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (stripped down instrumentation, better mixing)
Original of the Species (the single version)
One Step Closer (more sparse and ethereal).
I like it.
__________________
coolian2 is offline  
Old 03-07-2008, 01:49 AM   #442
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,955
Local Time: 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


I like this a lot, except for the inclusion of SYCMIOYO, which really just should never have been released in the first place.
Ehh. I thought people might throw a hissy fit if I ommited it. Consider it ommited. And it's a Native Son b-side.
__________________
the tourist is offline  
Old 03-07-2008, 01:50 AM   #443
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,016
Local Time: 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
next to of course god america i
love you land of the pilgrims' and so forth oh
say can you see by the dawn's early my
country 'tis of centuries come and go
and are no more what of it we should worry
in every language even deafanddumb
thy sons acclaim your glorious name by gorry
by jingo by gee by gosh by gum
why talk of beauty what could be more beaut-
iful than these heroic happy dead
who rushed like lions to the roaring slaughter
they did not stop to think they died instead
then shall the voice of liberty be mute?"

He spoke. And drank rapidly a glass of water
You don't seriously think that's good, do you? I mean, a baboon could've written that. In fact, a baboon probably did write that. It's not hard to rip random sentences and words out of a book and throw them together.

It was probably the same baboon responsible for U2 18's tracklist, coming to think of it.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 03-07-2008, 01:51 AM   #444
Blue Crack Addict
 
Varitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on borderland we run
Posts: 16,861
Local Time: 10:18 PM
also his sonnets are the best play on the form of sonnet ever in the history of ever
__________________
Varitek is offline  
Old 03-07-2008, 01:51 AM   #445
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the tourist


Ehh. I thought people might throw a hissy fit if I ommited it. Consider it ommited. And it's a Native Son b-side.
Much better.
__________________
coolian2 is offline  
Old 03-07-2008, 01:51 AM   #446
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,955
Local Time: 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


You don't seriously think that's good, do you? I mean, a baboon could've written that. In fact, a baboon probably did write that. It's not hard to rip random sentences and words out of a book and throw them together.

It was probably the same baboon responsible for U2 18's tracklist, coming to think of it.
__________________
the tourist is offline  
Old 03-07-2008, 01:52 AM   #447
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 04:18 PM
Be nice to Varitek, she is drunk.

She'll regret it in the morning.
__________________
coolian2 is offline  
Old 03-07-2008, 01:53 AM   #448
Blue Crack Addict
 
Varitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on borderland we run
Posts: 16,861
Local Time: 10:18 PM
:finger:

i excuse you tourist, but not ax. ax, this is inexcuseable. and i didnt remember from whatever other drunk time that you didn't like ee cummings so it's particularly egregious
__________________
Varitek is offline  
Old 03-07-2008, 01:53 AM   #449
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,016
Local Time: 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the tourist


Ehh. I thought people might throw a hissy fit if I ommited it. Consider it ommited. And it's a Native Son b-side.
I cut it from HTDAAB in my revisionist history. I can't remember what I made it the b-side of.

Also, I tend to favour Fast Cars over Xanax And Wine, just for the better guitar.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 03-07-2008, 01:53 AM   #450
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,955
Local Time: 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by coolian2


Much better.
__________________

__________________
the tourist is offline  
 

Tags
superthread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com