Biggest Bands ever at the height of their career. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2005, 07:58 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 07:36 PM
Biggest Bands ever at the height of their career.

1. The Beatles
2. Guns N' Roses

those two in my opinion are the top two in terms of popularity. I think the Beatles at their pinnacle were bigger than any band ever and I think that Guns N' Roses is the biggest thing we've since the Beatles. Now mind you Gn'R has faded quite a bit in terms of overall great big bands but that's not the point. At their height only the Beatles were biger in my opinion. Obviously I don't think any band has even come close to U2 in terms of being so big for so long, as well as relevant, yet even they haven't reach the same "peak" as The beatles or Guns N' Roses ever did. What do you guys think?

Old 09-18-2005, 07:59 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:36 PM
i think i don't really care. popularity means nothing to me in terms of enjoyment of bands.

Old 09-18-2005, 08:01 PM   #3
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored
i think i don't really care. popularity means nothing to me in terms of enjoyment of bands.
Yeah that's exactly what I was getting at. I was baseing my apprecaition of a band on how popular they are. That or I was just starting a thread for conversation.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:17 PM   #4
War Child

hmm i bet led zepellin was pretty popular in their prime

or the who
Old 09-18-2005, 08:19 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:36 AM
GNR were fucking huge in 91, that's for sure!
But I'm not sure if these are the only 2 bands that qualify for this discussion. What about Oasis at that time in 96?
Old 09-18-2005, 08:34 PM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
GNR were fucking huge in 91, that's for sure!
But I'm not sure if these are the only 2 bands that qualify for this discussion. What about Oasis at that time in 96?
Good point. Oasis was huge but here in North America they didn't even come close to the biggness of Gn'R I don't think or even Pearl Jam and Nirvana for that matter. Maybe though. Though Liam definately seemd to be the media's darling(target), ala Axl Rose. Yeah Oasis were huge everywhere else though. I wonder what the hugeness factor for Gn'R was in the rest of the world. I know it ws huge but to what level. No doubt at least here in North America nothing has been quite so big and hyped as Gn'R were in the early 90's. I might be wrong but I think when the Illusion albums came out it was the first time an album went on sale at midnight. Both albums went platinum simultaneously in a matter of 5 hours and they entered the charts at 1 & 2. I don't know much about Oasis but I do know that Gn'R went from playing clubs to selling out outdoor stadiums in a mere 3 years. Hell once the momentum of Appetite For Destruction finally kicked in Gn'R were drawing more fans to thier gigs as the opening act than the headliner. I once read an interview where Steven Tyler of Aerosmith said it was becoming harder and harder to take the stage after Guns N' Roses had opened the show becasue it seemd like it was actually their(Gn'R) crowd. That's hilarious.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:38 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:36 PM
New Kids On The Block circa 1990
Old 09-18-2005, 08:43 PM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13
New Kids On The Block circa 1990
So true! they were massive. Where the Spice Girls bigger? I remember When New Kids first came out all the girls loved them and all the guys were digging Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood album. That was the big arguement. Who's better? New Kids on the Block or Motley Crue. Hilarious. At least that was the scene in grade 8
Old 09-18-2005, 08:44 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hallucination

At least that was the scene in grade 8
It's still my scene, I don't know what you're talking about.

Oh oh ohohoh the right stuff
Old 09-18-2005, 08:44 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:36 PM
I don't buy it. GnR were big but they still had somewhat limited audience.

You look at bands today and singer songwriters, rock bands, hard rock bands, electronic artist all have some Beatles background due to a wide audience. White, black, worldwide this band was loved.

Bands that will be influenced by GnR will remain hard rock and metal bands. That was their largest % of their audience. Mainly white kids in America and some of Europe.

U2 has a much bigger appeal and audience than GnR.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #11
War Child

Local Time: 01:36 AM
oh man, New Kids on the Block

....I had a sleeping bag, posters, the whole 9 yards....my first obsession with a band (at age 7)....

Old 09-18-2005, 08:50 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:36 PM
it's got a lot to do with where you were and how old you were when [insert band name here] was at the height of their popularity. as someone who wasn't around when the beatles or zeppelin were at the peaks of their respective careers, my opinion is only influenced by what people say about them now. there's most likely bias there. it's extremely hard to gauge.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:00 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:36 AM
I know GNR were fucking massive in India (where I'm from originally) in 1991/1992. The Illusion albums just sky-rocketed them into mega stars, not that Appetite hadn't done enough! Pretty much every high school/college kid who was into 'western music' would know at least a few songs by GNR, Metallica, Pearl Jam or Nirvana. And definitely November Rain! Everyone and their parents and family knew that song!
Old 09-18-2005, 09:22 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I don't buy it. GnR were big but they still had somewhat limited audience.

You look at bands today and singer songwriters, rock bands, hard rock bands, electronic artist all have some Beatles background due to a wide audience. White, black, worldwide this band was loved.

Bands that will be influenced by GnR will remain hard rock and metal bands. That was their largest % of their audience. Mainly white kids in America and some of Europe.

U2 has a much bigger appeal and audience than GnR.
Good points and there is no doubt that U2 has a wider range as far as audinec goes but I don't ever remember at any point in time them being what Gn'R were in 1991-1993. That was insane how big they were. When I lined up for Gn'R line up tickets(not the actual tickets) in 1993 in Red Deer it was -32 degrees celcius and I arrived at 6:00am. When I arrived there was already about 300 people there waiting. We waited for over 3 hours just to get our line up numbers and then had to come back the following week to buy the tickets. Tickets were being scalped in Edmonton from anywhere between $1100 - $1500 for $33 tickets. I agree that U2 and the beatles and other bands have a more cross generation, cross racial, cross gender appeal than Gn'R and I agree that the influence by Gn'R on new musicians is much more limited than that of The Beatles or even U2 for arguement sake but you have to remember how short a time Gn'R were actually around. 3 completely huge albums and the longest tour in music history(3 years I believe for the Illusion tour). they exploded like no other band. I can't agree that U2, as much as I love them, at any point in time had a larger audience than Guns N' Roses in 1991-1993. More diverse crowd? Yes. Larger? No.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:23 PM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13

It's still my scene, I don't know what you're talking about.

Oh oh ohohoh the right stuff
I hear ya! I'm still Hanging in tough.