Biggest Bands ever at the height of their career.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hallucination said:

See those are interesting stats/takes on the issue. I believe that if the perception of the average person is that Guns N' Roses were bigger at that time than doesn't that have some merit to it? I did a random poll over the last few days and asked people who they remember as being bigger. The exact question was between the years 1991 -1994 who was the more popular band of the two, Guns N' Roses or U2? I asked 23 people. 14 guys, 9 girls. Unfortunately I work in the field or I could've asked alot more people. The age of the people ranged from 23 -41 and included people who lived in Nova Scotia, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, and Alberta durirng the time period in question(1991-1994). The results were a lopsided 21-2 in favour of Guns N' Roses being the more popular of the two durring that time. The two to vote for U2 were my boss(27 year old male) and my buddy's girlfriend(23 years old). Most of the people I asked were not freinds of mine 14 years ago, in fact only 7 of them were. It would also be interesting to go onto a Gn'R site and see what stats and facts those fans could dig up becasue I'm pretty certain that they'd find stuff to counter the stats which have been given here favouring U2. Basically I don't think it's as simple as it seems for either side of the arguement. I mean if it was all about the stats than how do we explain a 21-2 vote in favour of Guns N' Roses with people from all over Canada represented and an age range of 18 years?

#1 Even a statistically accurate opinion poll of people TODAY in 2005 on what was more popular at a time period that is over 10 years ago is a very poor and inaccurate way to gauge which product is more popular.

#2 For any poll to be representive of North America on any issue one would have to ask well over 1,000 people currently living in all the different states and regions of North America.

#3 People's perceptions of what is bigger is often based on simple media exposure at that time. But this is not an accurate gauge of who is the biggest. In addition, when asking someone what was bigger 13 years ago, people might actually be thinking about 17 years ago. When you get that far in the past with something like this, something most people never ever think about, the memory of when certain things occur get blurred.

#4 Guns N Roses is finished as a band. I know, Axl's version of the band may come to life one day, but it hasn't yet except for playing a few shows. Guns N Roses in retrospect has been done as a band since 1993. I know there were attempts after that to continue with the original line up, but few if anyone except die hard fans know that. Their last bit of significant exposure came in 1993. With the band being done, there comes a significant nostalgia based perception about them. When an artist is essentially no more for what ever the reason, they climb several notches on people's ratings overall as a band as well as a major force in the music world. So any question asked about Guns N Roses is heavily influenced by this factor. People remember this great legendary band from the past, and many people there for have an inaccurate and elevated perception of the bands importance, popularity, and status over a brief 3 years from 1991-1993. Although many people refer to U2 as legendary and U2 have been inducted into the Hall of Fame, U2 are such a massive and currently popular force and have been consistently for so many years that people don't accociate them with the past in the way they do with an artist that is not still active like Guns N Roses or Nirvana. In any event though, an opinion poll of people's perception of what was more popular over 10 years ago is probably the most inaccurate way to determine who actually was more popular.

#5 Current Album sales and Concert drawing power are what determine the popularity of any artist at any time. Your average person back then or today don't know how much the albums sold or precisely how well the concerts did, nor do they know where to get such information. But I have precise album sales data for the time period as well as most of the reported Boxscores for both concert tours. RIAA records and certifies album sale data for the USA. CRIA does if for Canada. IFPI does it for Europe. Amusement Business records publishes concert attendance and Gross figures for all shows around the world.

#5 Achtung Baby and Use Your Illusion both sold roughly the same worldwide with Achtung Baby edging out Use Your Illusion in this catagory just slightly. But I have noticed that in Canada Use Your Illusion was a faster seller and appears to have sold slightly more in Canada than Achtung Baby. This is the reverse though in the United States. In other parts of the world, its more of the same story with Achtung Baby with a slight lead. The United Kingdom is one country where Achtung Baby led by a ratio of 4 to 1 though.

#6 Concert drawing power is where U2 really seperates itself from Guns N Roses in this time period. Name virtually any city in North America and I can show you the official statistics from Amusement Business which show that U2 were the bigger concert drawing band. This generally holds true outside of North America as well. In general, Guns N Roses were an Arena band in North America, while U2 were a Stadium level band. Yes, GNR played stadiums in North America, but on a co-headlining bill with Metallica. Even with Metallica they could not achieve U2's concert attendance in many cities. Case in point, the GNR/Metallica tour did not even attempt to play Philadelphia and only played one show in Washington DC. You could buy tickets the day of the show in Washington DC. For U2, the first show soldout in one hour and they were able to sellout another full stadium show. 2 soldout U2 stadium shows in Washington DC VS. one show by the combined GNR/Metallica team that did not even sellout.

Anyways I did my little poll for a few days and was going to post them but I figured this was a dead issue. STING2 you make some interesting points and some very valid ones I might add. Though the point in which you said The Illusion albums were faster and bigger sellers in Canada might very well explain why I feel Guns N' Roses were bigger back then. They were in Canada. Again that's me being geographically biased. Anyways the results of my poll were amazingly lopsided:

Guns N' Roses - 47
U2 - 6

Interesting. Yes it's only 53 people but it's interesting nonetheless. Oh and as for Guns N' Roses shows not selling out. It has nothing to do with the drawing power it has everything to do with fans being worried that Axl might not show up so they don't buy tickets. It's too risky.:laugh:

thatsnotmypuppy said:
I loath to bring them up, but may we consider the period of 1998 to 2001.

Exhibit A)

Backstreet Boys.

Over 90 million album sales worldwide, 34 million of those in the US - from just 3 albums. Starting with their first US release (Backstreet Boys) to the 1999 megasmash (Millennium) thru to the 2001 hit (Black And Blue) they dominated the albums and singles charts. Two back to back million plus debut weeks, sold out stadium tours in Europe and Asia, huge runs at arenas in the USA... madness.

Exhibit B)

N'Sync

60 million+ global sales - including 'No Strings Attached' which debited with 2.3 million sales in a week. Now no band has been hotter than N'Sync when all the pieces fall into place...

So if you want to talk about bands who were just plain jawdroppingly globally dominant (for good or bad), how d'ya like those apples?

The album sales figures for the Backstreet Boys are grossly inflated figures. If you go to www.riaa.com and www.ifpi.org you get a much better estimate of how much the Backstreet Boys sold around the world. Total global sales for them including their latest album are not higher than 65 million.

N'Sync is much lower. The global total is not above 35 million in album sales. If you go to www.ifpi.org , you'll notice that N' Sync has yet to have a single one of their albums sale 1 million or more copies in Europe yet. Nearly all of N Sync's album sales come from one country, the United States. Their biggest tour in the United States did not do as well as POPMART did in terms of attendance in most markets. I have the exact figures for both tours. And of course, their touring outside the United States was very minimal.

The Backstreet Boys totals are indeed impressive though because they did manage to be more than just a primarily US based artist in terms of sales. But they never did a lengthy stadium tour. They did some stadium shows, but stayed in arena's in most places.

Hallucination said:
Anyways I did my little poll for a few days and was going to post them but I figured this was a dead issue. STING2 you make some interesting points and some very valid ones I might add. Though the point in which you said The Illusion albums were faster and bigger sellers in Canada might very well explain why I feel Guns N' Roses were bigger back then. They were in Canada. Again that's me being geographically biased. Anyways the results of my poll were amazingly lopsided:

Guns N' Roses - 47
U2 - 6

Interesting. Yes it's only 53 people but it's interesting nonetheless. Oh and as for Guns N' Roses shows not selling out. It has nothing to do with the drawing power it has everything to do with fans being worried that Axl might not show up so they don't buy tickets. It's too risky.:laugh:

Another point to consider is that the first time U2 ever came to Alberta( please correct me if I'm wrong) was on the POPMART tour. I know that a lot of artist tend to skip Alberta so I'm sure those that take the time to come there get special points.

Re: Re: Biggest Bands ever at the height of their career.

U2Man said:

Number 1 is totally correct. Number 2 must be a joke.

Try reading the thread. We've basically come to the conclusion as to why Guns N' Roses would rank so high in my opinion. And chances are they may have been the biggest in my neck of the woods. "Geographically biased" is the term we're useing.

STING2 you are right. The first time U2 came to Alberta was on the Popmart tour. They sold out back to back nights at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton. I believe it holds somewhere around 65 000.

Green Day are pretty much at the top of their game right now, I'm not sure how many records they've sold, but they managed to completely sell out the Milton Keynes Bowl twice in a matter of hours. Impressive.....

1992-05-24-Axl-Bono.jpg

I personally don't think that we've seen the sort of media attention around Green Day that we have come to expect of the biggest band of the era, perhaps this is just a reflection of the fact that Green Day have been around a while now, they aren't new discoveries. However, in terms of a wide variety of people liking them (tends to be a characteristic of the biggest band at the time, wouldn't you agree?) and having a vast number of fans too; I think you're absolutely right to suggest that Green Day are one of the biggest bands in the UK at the moment, if not the most hyped by the media (see Franz Ferdinand for that).

Total U2 Nut said:
Green Day are pretty much at the top of their game right now, I'm not sure how many records they've sold, but they managed to completely sell out the Milton Keynes Bowl twice in a matter of hours. Impressive.....

Worldwide, Green Day are probably the 2nd biggest band in the world at the moment. While American Idiot has sold about 1.5 million more copies than the BOMB worldwide(9.5 million for BOMB vs. almost 11 million for Idiot) they lose out to the four boys from Northside Dublin because they are light years behind them when it comes to concert attendance and concert grosses.

Here are U2's totals for the United Kingdom Vertigo tour:

Manchester, England : June 14-15, 2005 : City Of Manchester Stadium : GROSS $11,119,740 : ATTENDANCE 107,671 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

London, England : June 18-19, 2005 : Twickenham Stadium : GROSS $13,677,410 : ATTENDANCE 110,796 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

Glasgow, Scotland : June 21, 2005 : Hampden Park : GROSS $5,819,053 : ATTENDANCE 53,395 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

Cardiff, Wales : June 29, 2005 : Millennium Stadium : GROSS $6,406,073 : ATTENDANCE 63,677 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

United Kingdom attendance total: 335,539

United Kingdom Gross Total: $37,022,276

6 SHOWS : 6 SELLOUTS

Can I add a few figures to back up the Oasis argument? Their debut album is the UK's fastest selling debut album of all time. Their second album is the UK's second biggest selling album of all time just behind Sgt. Pepper's. It topped 3.9 million in under three years and now stands at 4.2 million with SP at 4.5 million (can I at least hear a wow! for that? :wink: ). Their third album is the fastest selling album of all time in the UK at 695,761 in its first week. For the UK that's a lot. Even Coldplay's X&Y album couldn't beat the first week sales of this album coming in second place with 464,471. Though only over the counter sales are used to calculate the figure so perhaps that affected Coldplay's total.

All of their studio albums have gone to No. 1 in the UK. They've released 21 singles in just 12 years. Since August 1994 every Oasis single has managed to hit the UK top 10, and since December 1994 every Oasis single has managed to hit the UK top 5 with most making it to the UK top 3. (thanx to wikipedia for a lot of the more detailed info)

TheQuiet1 said:
Can I add a few figures to back up the Oasis argument? Their debut album is the UK's fastest selling debut album of all time. Their second album is the UK's second biggest selling album of all time just behind Sgt. Pepper's. It topped 3.9 million in under three years and now stands at 4.2 million with SP at 4.5 million (can I at least hear a wow! for that? :wink: ). Their third album is the fastest selling album of all time in the UK at 695,761 in its first week. For the UK that's a lot. Even Coldplay's X&Y album couldn't beat the first week sales of this album coming in second place with 464,471. Though only over the counter sales are used to calculate the figure so perhaps that affected Coldplay's total.

All of their studio albums have gone to No. 1 in the UK. They've released 21 singles in just 12 years. Since August 1994 every Oasis single has managed to hit the UK top 10, and since December 1994 every Oasis single has managed to hit the UK top 5 with most making it to the UK top 3. (thanx to wikipedia for a lot of the more detailed info)

Oasis definitely dominated the United Kingdom back in the late 1990s.

Back
Top Bottom