big news for Springsteen fans!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 W would have been a nice pull.

Best I've seen was 1AA, a little wide, not enough to make me pull the trigger considering the rest of my week.

For those interested, this has been more or less the setlist being played in Europe. He hasn't been changing it up as much, obviously, since this is a different type of tour.

Setlist: Old Dan Tucker/O Mary Don't You Weep/Johnny 99/John Henry/Eyes on the Prize/Jesse James/Cadillac Ranch/Long Black Veil/Erie Canal/My Oklahoma Home/Mrs. McGrath/How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live?/Jacob's Ladder/We Shall Overcome/Open All Night/Pay Me My Money Down

Encore: My City of Ruins/Ramrod/You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)/When the Saints Go Marching In/Buffalo Gals

phanan said:
For those interested, this has been more or less the setlist being played in Europe. He hasn't been changing it up as much, obviously, since this is a different type of tour.

Setlist: Old Dan Tucker/O Mary Don't You Weep/Johnny 99/John Henry/Eyes on the Prize/Jesse James/Cadillac Ranch/Long Black Veil/Erie Canal/My Oklahoma Home/Mrs. McGrath/How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live?/Jacob's Ladder/We Shall Overcome/Open All Night/Pay Me My Money Down

Encore: My City of Ruins/Ramrod/You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)/When the Saints Go Marching In/Buffalo Gals

Nice!

I'm so :hyper: for this show, which one would think is weird, but hey, it's Bruce. :D

phanan said:

I just hope they play Long Black Veil in DC. That's one of my favorite songs and to hear Bruce sing it would be :drool:

I went last night to the Boston show. I don't have time to go in depth, but I'll say this. It was unfuckingbelievable. I was curious how the show would compare to his others, and it blows away his solo tour of last year, and dare I say I enjoyed it as much as going to an E Street show. That's how awesome it was.

:up:

I agree, it was unfuckingbelievable

Wow those songs really translate live, much more so than on the CD. And so do the reworkings of the other songs.

I really enjoyed the Bush comments too :D

My only complaint is Peter Wolf, oh God enough already! :scream: My eyes, my ears, poor Patti.

Bruce was in ultra fine form, I thoroughly enjoyed the little dances and butt shaking :wink: He is sexier than any 30 or 25 year old, whatever.

Here's the Boston setlist for those curious...

Setlist: John Henry/O Mary Don't You Weep/Johnny 99/Old Dan Tucker/Eyes on the Prize/Jesse James/Cadillac Ranch/Erie Canal/My Oklahoma Home/If I Should Fall Behind/Mrs. McGrath/How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live?/Jacob's Ladder/We Shall Overcome/Open All Night/Pay Me My Money Down

Encore: Bring Them Home (If You Love Your Uncle Sam)/Ramrod/You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)/When the Saints Go Marching In/Dirty Water (w/ Peter Wolf)/Buffalo Gals (w/ Peter Wolf)

And I agree about the reworkings of his own stuff - they worked very well, especially Open All Night. What a scorcher that was.

The crowd was really into it. Absolutely great show.

MUSIC REVIEW
Springsteen delivers a backyard blowout
By Joan Anderman, Globe Staff | May 29, 2006

Bruce Springsteen and the Seeger Sessions Band
At: Tweeter Center, Saturday night

MANSFIELD-- Bruce Springsteen and 17 of his most musical friends transformed the Tweeter Center stage into a giant porch last night, simultaneously christening the venue's season, kicking off the artist's US tour, and welcoming the summer season with a 2 1/2-hour performance that was more backyard party than rock concert.

Springsteen is touring in support of ``We Shall Overcome," a collection of songs popularized by Pete Seeger, and last night's homespun symphony of accordions and fiddles, pedal steel guitars, and joyful voices was filled with the irrepressible spirit that's the very essence of folk music.

Springsteen hollered and stomped and led his strumming, plucking, honking, sawing ensemble through jubilant takes on ``John Henry," ``Jacob's Ladder," and nearly every other track on the new album. He also reworked a handful of songs from his back catalog -- down-home versions of ``Johnny 99," ``Cadillac Ranch," ``Open All Night," ``Ramrod," and ``You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)."

Any fans expecting a signature Springsteen show were surely startled to find themselves scrolling through musical history. Spirituals and sea chanteys, outlaw ballads and minstrel tunes, civil rights ballads and dustbowl anthems were the order of the night -- with a heavy nod to New Orleans and an unexpected dose of soul.

A blowsy horn section turned everything in its path positively Bourbon Street, while Boston-based banjo player Greg Liszt affectionately evoked the project's namesake with his four humble strings on rousing singalongs of ``Old Dan Tucker," ``Jesse James," and the grade-school staple ``Erie Canal."

Seeger's role as outspoken activist echoed as well, in the great Irish anti war song ``Mrs. McGrath" and the classic ``We Shall Overcome," which Springsteen introduced as ``the most important political protest song ever written." He also performed Seeger's ``Bring 'Em Home," which was a new addition to the set along with the Depression-era ``How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live" (with three new Bruce-penned verses dedicated to the residents of New Orleans).

Local rocker Peter Wolf joined the band for a show-closing (and show-stopping) medley of ``Dirty Water" and ``Buffalo Gals."

Ah, Joan Anderman, super genius, the same reviewer who days earlier noted that Pearl Jam's set included the mythical song "Cannibal", tells us that Bruce christened the Tweeter Center's season.
Uh, Joan, Uh Kiss 108 concert a week earlier...hello...Joan.

And it just wouldn't be Bruce in Boston (or the suburbs) without Peter Wolf and Dirty Water.

Hewson said:

And it just wouldn't be Bruce in Boston (or the suburbs) without Peter Wolf and Dirty Water.

It's just tired, extremely tired-like the Tessie of Bruce shows. I guess Bruce is just too nice to tell him to take a hike. He did tell some fans to shut the fuck up though, I love that :drool: "show stopping medley of Dirty Water" More like let's beat the traffic out of the parking lot.

I saw Peter Wolf at an Elvis Costello show last summer, it creeped me out:wink: At least he didn't jump onstage with Elvis.

Speaking as a relative Bruce novice, I enjoyed the show over the weekend from the pit GA area. I admit I didn't listen to the new album beforehand but it was good nevertheless. I was expecting a few more of his greatest hits, and I think the parts I enjoyed most were just Bruce and the acoustic. Some of the formal dancing going on in the GA area threw me for a loop at times:wink: .

Hewson said:
Ah, Joan Anderman, super genius, the same reviewer who days earlier noted that Pearl Jam's set included the mythical song "Cannibal", tells us that Bruce christened the Tweeter Center's season.
Uh, Joan, Uh Kiss 108 concert a week earlier...hello...Joan.

I missed that part.

Ah well, at least she got the names of Bruce's songs correct.

MrsSpringsteen said:

I saw Peter Wolf at an Elvis Costello show last summer, it creeped me out:wink: At least he didn't jump onstage with Elvis.

I saw him at one of the U2 shows, dressed all in black (as usual) with shades, a hat, and a long trenchcoat on. He's also as thin as a toothpick. Quite scary, indeed.

Mrs. S., what section were you in?

phanan said:

I saw him at one of the U2 shows, dressed all in black (as usual) with shades, a hat, and a long trenchcoat on

That must be the only outfit he has, when I saw him at Elvis it was the same exact outfit :lol:

I was in section 7

I picture Woofa Goofa opening his closet and there's nothing but black shirts, black pants, black shoes, black hats, black coats and dark sunglasses.
Kind of like Schwarzeneggar's character in "The Last Action Hero" who had a closet full of the same red shirts, leather jackets and jeans.

said in DC

"It's nice to play outside! I always played inside, just so the wind wouldn't mess up my hair.... It's a good, still night -- a good hair night."

He offered some marriage advice before that beautiful new waltz arrangement of "If I Should Fall Behind." "It took me 20 years and many mistakes" to figure it out, he said, noting, "I'm getting dirty looks [from Patti] already... I'm speaking extemporaneously here -- always very dangerous on this subject." The advice was this: "When Mama ain't happy, nobody's happy. When Mama happy... everybody's happy. That's all you need to know! You can put all those books away."

MrsSpringsteen said:

That must be the only outfit he has, when I saw him at Elvis it was the same exact outfit :lol:

I was in section 7

I was in Sec. 6, just behind the soundboard area. Not a bad seat, really.

Had some real losers nearby, though. There was this one young couple. They just sat there the whole time, staring blankly straight ahead. They looked like they had been in a huge fight and weren't talking to each other.

I'm sure they had a great time. :lol:

Anyone interested in hearing his May 9th BBC performance? I downloaded it recently and have really been enjoying it. It's made me decide to pick up the album. I've even considering going to see him in Saratoga Springs in a few weeks, even though it's a loooooong drive from here.

phanan said:

I was in Sec. 6, just behind the soundboard area. Not a bad seat, really.

Had some real losers nearby, though. There was this one young couple. They just sat there the whole time, staring blankly straight ahead. They looked like they had been in a huge fight and weren't talking to each other.

I'm sure they had a great time. :lol:

Sounds like they had a fabulous night! :lol:

I haven't had pavillion seating at DTE in years - hopefully the crowd will be a bit better than the one you had.

Nice new location, Mrs S... ;)

They are showing a video clip of each show on the U.S. tour at aolmusic.com. Each show will feature a different song.

Well, it's not releasing an entire show a la Pearl Jam, but it's something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom