Big Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl02

Refugee
I saw this movie last night, and I thought it was really good! Touching story, great acting, and some pretty awesome cinematography. I admit, I even teared up a little at the end, and I haven't cried in a movie theatre since Armageddon. :shifty:

Ewan McGregor has always been one of my favorite actors, and Albert Finney's performance was top notch :up:

Anyone else seen it? What do you think?

I just saw this movie today! hands down one of the best movies I have ever seen! I saw some guys crying at the end, so that says a lot. a touching story about relationships and the attempt to mitigate scared feelings between a father and son. the son who lives in his fathers shadow, which he believes to be entirely fabricated and thus feels betrayed, spends the last moments of his fathers imminent death trying to distinguish between the hyperbole and the truth of who his father really is. in the end he learns that a person in the end becomes the stories and experiences of their life. and that everything he believed to be lies were actually true. if anyone is going to see a movie, go see this one!

from www.pearljam.com
Sept. 17 - Pearl Jam hears thru mutual acquaintance that Tim Burton would really like for them to pen a song for his movie, Big Fish.

Sept. 23 - The band loves Tim Burton's movies. Everyone is intrigued. In an uncommon occurrence, all five band members come together in the same city on the same day to see a screening of the movie arranged for them.

All five guys leave the movie, and go back to work or back to whatever they are working on. The movie and its stories continue to swim around in their heads.

That night, most of the band members call their fathers, father figures, and in some cases, mothers. [You'll get this when you see the show.]

Sept. 29-Oct.1 - A week later, Ed says he has an idea, and a few days later he hands over a demo version called "Man of the Hour" inspired by the film. The band loves it. Tim Burton loves it.

October 13-14 - They record it at Studio X in Seattle.

October 22 - They perform it for the first time to the sold out Benaroya Hall crowd (Seattle YouthCare benefit show)

[The end.]

i have been really wanting to see this movie since Christmas... but i got all these free tickets that i can't use until the movie drops from special engagement... :hmm:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
Sept. 17 - Pearl Jam hears thru mutual acquaintance that Tim Burton would really like for them to pen a song for his movie, Big Fish.

Sept. 23 - The band loves Tim Burton's movies. Everyone is intrigued. In an uncommon occurrence, all five band members come together in the same city on the same day to see a screening of the movie arranged for them.

All five guys leave the movie, and go back to work or back to whatever they are working on. The movie and its stories continue to swim around in their heads.

That night, most of the band members call their fathers, father figures, and in some cases, mothers. [You'll get this when you see the show.]

Sept. 29-Oct.1 - A week later, Ed says he has an idea, and a few days later he hands over a demo version called "Man of the Hour" inspired by the film. The band loves it. Tim Burton loves it.

October 13-14 - They record it at Studio X in Seattle.

October 22 - They perform it for the first time to the sold out Benaroya Hall crowd (Seattle YouthCare benefit show)

[The end.]

Cool :up:

It's definitely one of those movies that leaves you thinking about it for days. I've been feeling more sentimental about my dad and all the stories he's told me since I saw it :)

I saw it this afternoon and while I enjoyed most of the film I felt Helena Bonham Carter's role drug the film down. Did anyone else feel her scene toward the end reduced the cinematic experience to a snail's pace?

I shedded a few tears toward the end, but I caught myself feeling Burton used the oldest devices of storytelling to conjure up those moments of bittersweet. The music, the odd twist ending, the utter happiness amongst everyone despite it being unbelievably sad.

I guess what I'm saying is that I liked the movie, but felt it was full of cliches, which shouldn't be found in Tim Burton films. It was a weird, little movie that was so honest it was hard to take. Had it avoided the conventional elements of persuasion I would have left the theater beaming.

As it is, I won't recommend this movie. Sorry

I saw it last night and liked it. For me it's different from most formula movies out there today, and it's so great to escape into such a fantasy film for a few hours, w/ the way the world is today.

I loved the way he mixed fantasy w/ the "real" story of the relationship. I thought the Helena Bonham Carter part was odd too, but she's Tim's gf after all :wink: Ewan did a fantastic job w/ making it believable.

The PJ song is good, but they only play it at the end credits as usual.

Oh, go see this! I grew up with the guy who wrote the book and even ran into the father once. Yeah, he was a charmer.......The rumors about the affair *were* true. :silent: Egads. Great movie.

Last edited:
I saw this movie at an advanced screening the day before it made it's nationwide release. Absolutely loved everything about this movie. Aside from A Nightmare Before Christmas or Sleepy Hollow, this is one of my favorite Burton films. :up: Ewan McGregor as the young Ed Bloom was so charismatic and entertaining to watch on screen. :cute:

verte76 said:
Oh, go see this! I grew up with the guy who wrote the book and even ran into the father once. Yeah, he was a charmer.......The rumors about the affair *were* true. :silent: Egads. Great movie.

Oh, wow, that is really cool. That you knew the author of the book, I mean. :)

I got this on DVD, and I must say, it was quite good. Great cinematography, and of course, Ewan McGregor was excellent. Recommended!

I am a huuge Tim Burton fan and whilst I did like this movie and I loved Ewan McGregor's performance, I gotta say that I was a little disapointed, but maybe I went into the cinema with my expectations too high...........anyway, speaking of Burtonesque films, I am going to try and catch Van Helsing (spelling) some time this weekend, now this film looks awesome!!!!

It was a great movie, I really enjoyed it. Then again, I'm somewhat of a Tim Burton fanboy.

Back
Top Bottom