Big Bone Lick State Park, Kentucky, USA Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but you're still on the defensive. ;)

Well, it'll probably contain a bit of the usual 60's pop stuff, but not too much. I would dip into the 70's a bit, but LMP called funk already. I want to focus more on the deeper, southern gospel-flavored kinds of soul. And, of course, Philly always had a great soul scene.

Well, I think it's quite broad to say that all soul music in the 70s was funk or related to it, don't you think? Surely you can dip in there a little. :)

I suggested that I make a pre-60s playlist, if anyone's interested in that.

LemonMelon said:

Tell me about it. I have about 150 years of black soul music to whittle down.

Have fun with that. Also have fun trying to convincing me to listen. :wink:

I currently have nearly 3 hours of Dunedin Sound music on my playlist. Hopefully I can cut that down to two discs. I'm trying to showcase some of the scene's lesser known bands as well as the big ones like The Chills and The Clean. You'll probably get every song Terraces ever released (all TWO of them!) out of this compilation.

LemonMelon said:

You literally hear a very loud, monotonous sound for 20 minutes.

V
V
V

Like Radiohead?

Simple, effective.

I actually think the revised call owned you more. :lol:

The Sad Punk said:

Well, I think it's quite broad to say that all soul music in the 70s was funk or related to it, don't you think? Surely you can dip in there a little. :)

Indeed.

I suggested that I make a pre-60s playlist, if anyone's interested in that.

Speaking of broad...

The Sad Punk said:

Alright, a strictly 30s one then? Or 20s?

Is it wrong that I automatically expect any music prior to the 1950s to suck?

Yes, yes it is. But I do anyway.

Axver said:

Is it wrong that I automatically expect any music prior to the 1950s to suck?

Yes, yes it is. But I do anyway.

:laugh: Yes, you and my father would get along swimmingly. He says the same thing to me about old music on a regular basis.

Axver said:

Yeah. I suck at it and it takes forever. Ironing for the fail.

but you do it all the time!

i have to iron for my au pair job a bit. ugh. i don't see why they think kids' clothes need ironing. but oh well.

LemonMelon said:

What genre are you going for here, exactly? :lol:

I sort of wanted to demonstrate that the time wasn't all just what a lot of people today see it as. Not just slow Bing Crosby ballads or Sing, Sing, Sing. I wanted to demonstrate the roots of country in old Appalachian music as well as include a smash-hit from the late 30s that included 'fuck' in the chorus. Also a Phil Harris song that I see as a root of rap.

Varitek said:

but you do it all the time!

i have to iron for my au pair job a bit. ugh. i don't see why they think kids' clothes need ironing. but oh well.

No I don't! I've probably ironed about twice in the last three months.

The Sad Punk said:

I sort of wanted to demonstrate that the time wasn't all just what a lot of people today see it as. Not just slow Bing Crosby ballads or Sing, Sing, Sing. I wanted to demonstrate the roots of country in old Appalachian music as well as include a smash-hit from the late 30s that included 'fuck' in the chorus. Also a Phil Harris song that I see as a root of rap.

Showing that the 30's isn't all that different from today, huh? :lol: Cool. I like the concept.

The Sad Punk said:
... as well as include a smash-hit from the late 30s that included 'fuck' in the chorus.

You mean the good old days weren't all purity and goodness? :ohmy:

Varitek said:

fine, you talk about it all the time.

I need to do it all the time, but I rarely do. Though I think I will have to soon. Bah!

I also need to find the time to bake a new batch of muffins ...

OK, nearing new thread time. Do we want to do Gary, Indiana, or do we want to finally let Bonnie do her thread?

Hi Jen! :wave:

Axver said:

You mean the good old days weren't all purity and goodness? :ohmy:

In a lot of ways, they were just as rude or ruder than they are now. Night clubs had the cocaine, opiates, booze and more emphasis on fucking. Before bullshit censorship came in in the early 30s, a lot of American movies were quite risque. Plus the depression and the war and all that. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom