Big Bone Lick State Park, Kentucky, USA Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Appel worked on Born to Run, Landau on most of the rest. And Jimmy Iovine was one of the engineers.

Born to Run, the song, was written and recorded well in advance of the rest of the album. Different recording studio, somewhat different band, different producer.

phillyfan26 said:
Born to Run, the song, was written and recorded well in advance of the rest of the album. Different recording studio, somewhat different band, different producer.

Well, it was Appel and Springsteen. Landau came on after. Appel was there the whole way through the album, and then was gone.

I thought Appel was only there in title for the rest, as he hadn't been sued yet.

OK, so, to wrap up my diary...

Sequencing - very good.
Production - superb.
Lyrics - fucking hell yeah.

Musically...hmm. In some ways, I'm with Axver, in that I'm not a huge fan of pianos and saxophones in rock. I'm also not into that huge rock sound in general, as I prefer little details and subtlety over epic climaxes (this is reversed in a live setting, of course). Because of this, I struggle with parts of the album a bit. Regardless, it's all sharply performed, and much is excellent. 10th Avenue Freeze-Out is such a brilliant tribute to soul, Meeting Across The River is absolutely gorgeous, and the title track is pure POWER. The second half is much better than the first, IMO.

Even though it's not all to my taste, it was pretty damn great, and it could be a grower. 8.6/10 on first listen.

OK, I have no bloody clue where my CD with Springsteen albums on it has gone. I thought it was in a box of CDs I have in my room, but that just contains U2 bootlegs. So I guess I'll download some. What do you recommend, phanan?

LemonMelon said:
OK, so, to wrap up my diary...

Sequencing - very good.
Production - superb.
Lyrics - fucking hell yeah.

Musically...hmm. In some ways, I'm with Axver, in that I'm not a huge fan of pianos and saxophones in rock. I'm also not into that huge rock sound in general, as I prefer little details and subtlety over epic climaxes (this is reversed in a live setting, of course). Because of this, I struggle with parts of the album a bit. Regardless, it's all sharply performed, and much is excellent. 10th Avenue Freeze-Out is such a brilliant tribute to soul, Meeting Across The River is absolutely gorgeous, and the title track is pure POWER. The second half is much better than the first, IMO.

Even though it's not all to my taste, it was pretty damn great, and it could be a grower. 8.6/10 on first listen.

I mostly agree with this, though I still think pianos and saxs are fine in rock when placed correctly. And I don't think this particular album falters in that category. I get what you mean, though.

I'm not sure whether or not I prefer The Wild, The Innocent, And So On over Born To Run. I love the freewheeling, fun atmosphere of that record. Born To Run is so much more intense, but rewarding.

LemonMelon said:
I'm not sure whether or not I prefer The Wild, The Innocent, And So On over Born To Run. I love the freewheeling, fun atmosphere of that record. Born To Run is so much more intense, but rewarding.

Two different styles, both well executed.

One thing's for sure, the man can write a song.

Axver said:
OK, I have no bloody clue where my CD with Springsteen albums on it has gone. I thought it was in a box of CDs I have in my room, but that just contains U2 bootlegs. So I guess I'll download some. What do you recommend, phanan?
yeah, i was about to ask in what order you recommended i listen to the albums, p-funk.

phillyfan26 said:

Two different styles, both well executed.

One thing's for sure, the man can write a song.

Indeed.

Speaking of men who can write a song, you need to do a Highway 61 Revisited diary tomorrow. :up:

phillyfan26 said:
You think he should go in order, Phanan?

Hell no. Axver will absolutely detest the earliest stuff, as the first album is too folky and the second album too, well, jazzy I guess.

Axver said:

The obvious starting point is Born To Run. Darkness On The Edge Of Town has more of an edge and might be another one to check out.

Also, perhaps the latest album, Magic. As I recall, you seemed to be taken by surprise a bit when you heard Devil's Arcade from pfan's playlist, although I don't know if that was a good surprise or a bad one. :lol:

Oh, and one more to throw out there - Nebraska. Stark, acoustic record with very dark lyrics. You might enjoy that one.

I think Khan can handle the going in order better, but Born to Run seems to be the logical starting point for pretty much everyone. After that, depends on your tastes. Magic and Darkness are two good calls.

I want to hear Nebraska. I love the idea of a full album recorded almost in one day.

LemonMelon said:
I suppose I'm going in order. :lol:
:hmm: i usually prefer to listen to people in order, because i like hearing how they progressed over the years. unless i'll absolutely hate their early stuff, that's how i roll. i've heard blinded by the light (obvs i mean his version, but who hasn't heard manfred mann's) and it wasn't bad. unless the rest of the album is drastically different, i don't imagine i'd hate it.

phillyfan26 said:
I think Khan can handle the going in order better, but Born to Run seems to be the logical starting point for pretty much everyone. After that, depends on your tastes. Magic and Darkness are two good calls.

Khan actually might be better off going backwards. I'm not sure she's into 70's rock as much.

phillyfan26 said:
that's cuz i'm jawsome :up:

phanan said:
The obvious starting point is Born To Run. Darkness On The Edge Of Town has more of an edge and might be another one to check out.

Also, perhaps the latest album, Magic. As I recall, you seemed to be taken by surprise a bit when you heard Devil's Arcade from pfan's playlist, although I don't know if that was a good surprise or a bad one. :lol:

Oh, and one more to throw out there - Nebraska. Stark, acoustic record with very dark lyrics. You might enjoy that one.

Righto, downloading Born To Run now, and will move onto Darkness On The Edge Of Town once it's done. And I know for sure that I haven't heard Nebraska, so I'll give it a shot.

As for Devil's Arcade, it simply wasn't how I expected Springsteen to sound. Had I heard it without it being labelled, I'm not so sure I would have said it's him.

KhanadaRhodes said:

:hmm: i usually prefer to listen to people in order, because i like hearing how they progressed over the years. unless i'll absolutely hate their early stuff, that's how i roll. i've heard blinded by the light (obvs i mean his version, but who hasn't heard manfred mann's) and it wasn't bad. unless the rest of the album is drastically different, i don't imagine i'd hate it.

No way in hell you hate E-Street Shuffle, and you'll probably find something to love in Born To Run. Go in order.

The Professor is such a great pianist.

(I'm listening to Born to Run now and just started Thunder Road.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom