Big Bone Lick State Park, Kentucky, USA Superthread - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-06-2008, 06:06 AM   #256
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,035
Local Time: 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2


Anyone else in the genre?
Well, like I said, depends what you mean. I've seen "art rock" used to refer to everyone from Talking Heads to Split Enz to Porcupine Tree. I think it's a mostly empty term, but I use it for Split Enz since they weren't really prog, but "art rock" gets across what they were like.
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-06-2008, 06:08 AM   #257
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


Well, like I said, depends what you mean. I've seen "art rock" used to refer to everyone from Talking Heads to Split Enz to Porcupine Tree. I think it's a mostly empty term, but I use it for Split Enz since they weren't really prog, but "art rock" gets across what they were like.
I was just wondering since you don't talk about many artists I'd consider art rock.
__________________

__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-06-2008, 06:11 AM   #258
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,035
Local Time: 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2


I was just wondering since you don't talk about many artists I'd consider art rock.
So who do you consider art rock?
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-06-2008, 06:14 AM   #259
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


So who do you consider art rock?
I'd consider Split Enz art rock. Genesis, Focus, Renaissance, Jethro Tull and artists like them.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-06-2008, 06:14 AM   #260
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 02:50 PM
Sleep.

Night all
__________________
coolian2 is offline  
Old 05-06-2008, 06:19 AM   #261
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,035
Local Time: 12:50 PM
G'night Ian.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-06-2008, 06:20 AM   #262
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,035
Local Time: 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2


I'd consider Split Enz art rock. Genesis, Focus, Renaissance, Jethro Tull and artists like them.
I'd never consider Genesis art rock. Folky prog is probably what I would go for. And I blame Genesis for killing prog, so.

I haven't listened to Focus or Renaissance besides what you've used in DI and such, but I enjoyed that. I have a passing familiarity with Tull but never made an effort to get into them.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-06-2008, 06:24 AM   #263
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,691
Local Time: 11:20 AM
Sup again, guys. Just got the pizza in the oven.

Damn, Vaz and Ian are out.
__________________
The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 05-06-2008, 06:25 AM   #264
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,035
Local Time: 12:50 PM
Hey Bonnie!

I was listening to some Mezcal Head earlier. Duel, Blowin' Cool, and You Find It Everywhere are fucking great songs.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-06-2008, 06:26 AM   #265
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,691
Local Time: 11:20 AM
Hey Ax.

Yeah, I just went through the pages I missed. The whole album seems solid throughout. I was already familiar with Last Train to Satansville, which I have always thought was awesome.
__________________
The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 05-06-2008, 06:30 AM   #266
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


I'd never consider Genesis art rock. Folky prog is probably what I would go for. And I blame Genesis for killing prog, so.

I haven't listened to Focus or Renaissance besides what you've used in DI and such, but I enjoyed that. I have a passing familiarity with Tull but never made an effort to get into them.
I think Genesis would be art rock. Art rock to me is mixing folk, jazz or classical with progressive tendencies. Genesis mixes all three.

Phil Collins is partially to blame for killing prog in the mainstream. I think when the main artists like Pink Floyd, Genesis and others moved away from their best prog work it took the genre out of the mainstream.

I might actually use Renaissance as one of my CD exchange artists as Todd Rundgren seems too diverse.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 05-06-2008, 06:32 AM   #267
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,035
Local Time: 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
Hey Ax.

Yeah, I just went through the pages I missed. The whole album seems solid throughout. I was already familiar with Last Train to Satansville, which I have always thought was awesome.
Yeah, the consistency is rather impressive. They absolutely nail their style. Girl On A Motorbike and MM Adbuction are two others that have stood out to me at this stage.

I've been thinking I need to download Ride's second album. I know they went totally to shit by the end of their career, but I've heard the second album is still good.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-06-2008, 06:35 AM   #268
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,035
Local Time: 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2


I think Genesis would be art rock. Art rock to me is mixing folk, jazz or classical with progressive tendencies. Genesis mixes all three.

Phil Collins is partially to blame for killing prog in the mainstream. I think when the main artists like Pink Floyd, Genesis and others moved away from their best prog work it took the genre out of the mainstream.

I might actually use Renaissance as one of my CD exchange artists as Todd Rundgren seems too diverse.
Art rock to me is that music to which you can apply the adjective "artsy" - which in itself is kind of empty, but that's why I say "art rock" as a label is empty. I don't consider Genesis arty, but folkish waffling prog.

I don't blame Phil Collins nearly as much as I blame Peter Gabriel. He dropped the Turd On Broadway. That album perfectly defines why people hate prog; overblown, pompous, and pretentious bullshit. And when it comes to Lamb, they're dead right. I hate that album. Same goes for PF's The Wall.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-06-2008, 06:38 AM   #269
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,035
Local Time: 12:50 PM
Hey, Screwtape, would you have a problem if I did two CDs for the exchange? Before you say no, hear out my idea.

I already have one CD on the go. Accessible stuff and whatnot. Most people here don't give a shit about metal, so I've left it out. But I've thought of maybe doing a metal disc as well, for those people who would perhaps like to get into it, or who do enjoy the genre and want to find something new.

If I did a metal disc, I think I'd introduce people to Dream Theater, Orphaned Land, Cynic, and Agalloch.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-06-2008, 06:43 AM   #270
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


Art rock to me is that music to which you can apply the adjective "artsy" - which in itself is kind of empty, but that's why I say "art rock" as a label is empty. I don't consider Genesis arty, but folkish waffling prog.

I don't blame Phil Collins nearly as much as I blame Peter Gabriel. He dropped the Turd On Broadway. That album perfectly defines why people hate prog; overblown, pompous, and pretentious bullshit. And when it comes to Lamb, they're dead right. I hate that album. Same goes for PF's The Wall.
I disagree. I think art rock is a clear genre of outside influences in something that isn't quite the rock in prog rock.

Lamb Lies Down is a fantastic album. It brought tons of people who weren't into prog rock into the genre. I don't think it is pretentious at all. The story might be wild but that is what is great about prog.
__________________

__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
 

Tags
superthread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com