Big Bone Lick State Park, Kentucky, USA Superthread - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2008, 06:06 AM   #256
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

Anyone else in the genre?
Well, like I said, depends what you mean. I've seen "art rock" used to refer to everyone from Talking Heads to Split Enz to Porcupine Tree. I think it's a mostly empty term, but I use it for Split Enz since they weren't really prog, but "art rock" gets across what they were like.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-06-2008, 06:08 AM   #257
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Well, like I said, depends what you mean. I've seen "art rock" used to refer to everyone from Talking Heads to Split Enz to Porcupine Tree. I think it's a mostly empty term, but I use it for Split Enz since they weren't really prog, but "art rock" gets across what they were like.
I was just wondering since you don't talk about many artists I'd consider art rock.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:11 AM   #258
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I was just wondering since you don't talk about many artists I'd consider art rock.
So who do you consider art rock?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-06-2008, 06:14 AM   #259
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:

So who do you consider art rock?
I'd consider Split Enz art rock. Genesis, Focus, Renaissance, Jethro Tull and artists like them.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:14 AM   #260
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:50 PM
Sleep.

Night all
Old 05-06-2008, 06:19 AM   #261
Vocal parasite

G'night Ian.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-06-2008, 06:20 AM   #262
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I'd consider Split Enz art rock. Genesis, Focus, Renaissance, Jethro Tull and artists like them.
I'd never consider Genesis art rock. Folky prog is probably what I would go for. And I blame Genesis for killing prog, so.

I haven't listened to Focus or Renaissance besides what you've used in DI and such, but I enjoyed that. I have a passing familiarity with Tull but never made an effort to get into them.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-06-2008, 06:24 AM   #263
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:20 AM
Sup again, guys. Just got the pizza in the oven.

Damn, Vaz and Ian are out.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:25 AM   #264
Vocal parasite

Hey Bonnie!

I was listening to some Mezcal Head earlier. Duel, Blowin' Cool, and You Find It Everywhere are fucking great songs.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-06-2008, 06:26 AM   #265
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:20 AM
Hey Ax.

Yeah, I just went through the pages I missed. The whole album seems solid throughout. I was already familiar with Last Train to Satansville, which I have always thought was awesome.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:30 AM   #266
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I'd never consider Genesis art rock. Folky prog is probably what I would go for. And I blame Genesis for killing prog, so.

I haven't listened to Focus or Renaissance besides what you've used in DI and such, but I enjoyed that. I have a passing familiarity with Tull but never made an effort to get into them.
I think Genesis would be art rock. Art rock to me is mixing folk, jazz or classical with progressive tendencies. Genesis mixes all three.

Phil Collins is partially to blame for killing prog in the mainstream. I think when the main artists like Pink Floyd, Genesis and others moved away from their best prog work it took the genre out of the mainstream.

I might actually use Renaissance as one of my CD exchange artists as Todd Rundgren seems too diverse.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:32 AM   #267
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
Hey Ax.

Yeah, I just went through the pages I missed. The whole album seems solid throughout. I was already familiar with Last Train to Satansville, which I have always thought was awesome.
Yeah, the consistency is rather impressive. They absolutely nail their style. Girl On A Motorbike and MM Adbuction are two others that have stood out to me at this stage.

I've been thinking I need to download Ride's second album. I know they went totally to shit by the end of their career, but I've heard the second album is still good.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-06-2008, 06:35 AM   #268
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I think Genesis would be art rock. Art rock to me is mixing folk, jazz or classical with progressive tendencies. Genesis mixes all three.

Phil Collins is partially to blame for killing prog in the mainstream. I think when the main artists like Pink Floyd, Genesis and others moved away from their best prog work it took the genre out of the mainstream.

I might actually use Renaissance as one of my CD exchange artists as Todd Rundgren seems too diverse.
Art rock to me is that music to which you can apply the adjective "artsy" - which in itself is kind of empty, but that's why I say "art rock" as a label is empty. I don't consider Genesis arty, but folkish waffling prog.

I don't blame Phil Collins nearly as much as I blame Peter Gabriel. He dropped the Turd On Broadway. That album perfectly defines why people hate prog; overblown, pompous, and pretentious bullshit. And when it comes to Lamb, they're dead right. I hate that album. Same goes for PF's The Wall.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-06-2008, 06:38 AM   #269
Vocal parasite

Hey, Screwtape, would you have a problem if I did two CDs for the exchange? Before you say no, hear out my idea.

I already have one CD on the go. Accessible stuff and whatnot. Most people here don't give a shit about metal, so I've left it out. But I've thought of maybe doing a metal disc as well, for those people who would perhaps like to get into it, or who do enjoy the genre and want to find something new.

If I did a metal disc, I think I'd introduce people to Dream Theater, Orphaned Land, Cynic, and Agalloch.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-06-2008, 06:43 AM   #270
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Art rock to me is that music to which you can apply the adjective "artsy" - which in itself is kind of empty, but that's why I say "art rock" as a label is empty. I don't consider Genesis arty, but folkish waffling prog.

I don't blame Phil Collins nearly as much as I blame Peter Gabriel. He dropped the Turd On Broadway. That album perfectly defines why people hate prog; overblown, pompous, and pretentious bullshit. And when it comes to Lamb, they're dead right. I hate that album. Same goes for PF's The Wall.
I disagree. I think art rock is a clear genre of outside influences in something that isn't quite the rock in prog rock.

Lamb Lies Down is a fantastic album. It brought tons of people who weren't into prog rock into the genre. I don't think it is pretentious at all. The story might be wild but that is what is great about prog.

Tags
superthread