Big Bone Lick State Park, Kentucky, USA Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

Young Lust is on it, but I can't remember a bloody thing about it.

I love Comfortably Numb, Hey You, and Run Like Hell. The rest just blurs together in a big mass of total boredom.

Oh, wait. The Trial is cheesy. So there we go.

Young Lust is sort of... what's the term... I don't think 'cock rock' is right, I think 'wank rock' might be it. It's sort of catchy, but embarrassing.

Run Like Hell is okay, I guess. Comfortably Numb is dreary and lumbering to me, same with Hey You. And nobody ever needs to hear Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2 again, really.

Screwtape2 said:

Why not a thread dedicated to easing people into different genres? People choose a genre at the start of the thread to ease some on into. For example you choose metal and send that metal playlist to people who leave their e-mails. They give it a listen and report their thoughts in the thread.

That would be really good. I'd love Jack In The Box to be involved because she (she, right?) would make a killer post-rock intro.

One of us should start it. Though I suppose one problem is hammering out guidelines. I mean, guidelines that might suit an intro to hardcore punk with its short tracks aren't necessarily going to suit a genre so expansive and sprawling as prog.

mysterious_jen said:

jen approves of this message. :up:

I need Ali to turn up and be a good influence, don't I?

Then again, she got me talking trains last night ...

The Sad Punk said:

Young Lust is sort of... what's the term... I don't think 'cock rock' is right, I think 'wank rock' might be it. It's sort of catchy, but embarrassing.

Run Like Hell is okay, I guess. Comfortably Numb is dreary and lumbering to me, same with Hey You. And nobody ever needs to hear Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2 again, really.

Have you ever listened to The Final Cut? Besides being another terrible Waters-dominated album, it has Not Now John. Cock rock's lowest moment, quite possibly.

I think Comfortably Numb is great, but not astonishingly awesome like many people seem to think. The guitar solo is effective but not the highest moment in the history of guitar. And Gilmour should have sung the whole thing.

mysterious_jen said:

:lol:

But then she made me do work. :(

I actually do plan to do work tonight. Probably after about 10 or 11. I work best around 11pm-1am.

Axver said:

That would be really good. I'd love Jack In The Box to be involved because she (she, right?) would make a killer post-rock intro.

One of us should start it. Though I suppose one problem is hammering out guidelines. I mean, guidelines that might suit an intro to hardcore punk with its short tracks aren't necessarily going to suit a genre so expansive and sprawling as prog.

Okay. Well I'll compile a list of genres over the next few day and ask for some assistance breaking them up.

Axver said:

Have you ever listened to The Final Cut? Besides being another terrible Waters-dominated album, it has Not Now John. Cock rock's lowest moment, quite possibly.

I might have listened to it once, because I had a brief Floyd stage when I was about 15/16. Though if I did hear it, I don't remember any of it.

The Sad Punk said:

I might have listened to it once, because I had a brief Floyd stage when I was about 15/16. Though if I did hear it, I don't remember any of it.

Well, don't waste your time digging it out or anything. I like it even less than The Wall. Here's the opening lyrics:

Tell me true, tell me why was Jesus crucified?
Was it for this that Daddy died?
Was it you? Was it me?
Did I watch too much TV?

Good non-existent God, Waters. There are hundreds of words that rhyme with "me". Why the fuck did you resort to "TV"?

mysterious_jen said:
THE U.S SPENDS $5000 PER SECOND IN IRAQ.

brainsplode trying to deal with that while millions live and die in poverty every second.

Don't you love it? They can't cobble together a national healthcare system, or properly fund education, or anything actually constructive, but they can blow $5,000 a second in Iraq.

Priorities, people, PRIORITIES.

Axver said:
I'm sure you and phanan are very soon going to coax me into digging up my CD with Springsteen albums on it.

Damn straight. No way in hell is he cheesy (well, ok, some 80's and early 90's stuff is, but then again, everyone who had a career through that time period churned out a few cheesy tunes).

If I didn't have to go to work, I'd go more in depth, but suffice to say, I think you need to listen to the Born To Run album again (if you've ever listened to it all the way through), and listen closer to the lyrics and the music.

Oh, and morning. :lol:

The Sad Punk said:
Don't worry, it'll change soon, hopefully.

They're still gonna be the laughing stock of the world, but at least less so.

I can't say I'm confident. I'm worried Hillary's going to snatch the Democratic nomination from Obama, and in that case, they're still as fucked as they are now.

Axver said:

I think it is quite possibly one of the worst albums I have ever heard in my life. Like The Wall, the music is sacrificed at the altar of the concept, and unlike The Wall, which actually has three or so good songs, Lamb has absolutely none. And come on, a double album? There has never been a good double album in history.

I like Lamb, but I will say there are definitely weaker parts on it.

I'll argue about Peter Gabriel, though. You should check out some of his early solo material, although I'm sure Liam keeps banging you over the head with that already. Some strong stuff there.

phanan said:

Damn straight. No way in hell is he cheesy (well, ok, some 80's and early 90's stuff is, but then again, everyone who had a career through that time period churned out a few cheesy tunes).

If I didn't have to go to work, I'd go more in depth, but suffice to say, I think you need to listen to the Born To Run album again (if you've ever listened to it all the way through), and listen closer to the lyrics and the music.

Oh, and morning. :lol:

Prompt me to do this tomorrow and I will. i.e. this evening your time. I think I know where the CD is.

phanan said:

I like Lamb, but I will say there are definitely weaker parts on it.

I'll argue about Peter Gabriel, though. You should check out some of his early solo material, although I'm sure Liam keeps banging you over the head with that already. Some strong stuff there.

Liam will probably murder me if I don't listen to Peter Gabriel IV in the next few days.

The Genesis albums I've heard are Lamb, obviously, and Selling England By The Pound, which I think is mediocre and unexceptional.

Hi Liam. :wave:

I'd say goodbye to you, phanan, but I bet you'll pop on here while at work. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom