Big Bone Lick State Park, Kentucky, USA Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:
I've been thinking I need to download Ride's second album. I know they went totally to shit by the end of their career, but I've heard the second album is still good.

I was thinking of doing the same. I have Smile, which is a compilation of their first two EPs. I need to listen to it a bit more, though - it's one of those albums I've been very slack with.

Screwtape2 said:
Lamb Lies Down is a fantastic album. It brought tons of people who weren't into prog rock into the genre. I don't think it is pretentious at all. The story might be wild but that is what is great about prog.

I think it is quite possibly one of the worst albums I have ever heard in my life. Like The Wall, the music is sacrificed at the altar of the concept, and unlike The Wall, which actually has three or so good songs, Lamb has absolutely none. And come on, a double album? There has never been a good double album in history.

The Sad Punk said:

I was thinking of doing the same. I have Smile, which is a compilation of their first two EPs. I need to listen to it a bit more, though - it's one of those albums I've been very slack with.

Ooh, yes, I urgently need their first two EPs. Those have simply got to be good. I'm glad the third EP in its entirety is on the CD version of Nowhere. :up:

Axver said:
Hey, Screwtape, would you have a problem if I did two CDs for the exchange? Before you say no, hear out my idea.

I already have one CD on the go. Accessible stuff and whatnot. Most people here don't give a shit about metal, so I've left it out. But I've thought of maybe doing a metal disc as well, for those people who would perhaps like to get into it, or who do enjoy the genre and want to find something new.

If I did a metal disc, I think I'd introduce people to Dream Theater, Orphaned Land, Cynic, and Agalloch.

Stick to one CD. I know we are going to do the exchange again so I would choose one of the CDs and save the other for the next exchange. Maybe people will be more willing to give metal a chance on the second go around.

Axver said:
Like The Wall, the music is sacrificed at the altar of the concept, and unlike The Wall, which actually has three or so good songs, Lamb has absolutely none.

This is true about The Wall. Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2, Comfortably Numb, and Run Like Hell were the only songs I liked.

The Wall is probably the last album I want to listen to right now.

At least if it were Good Charlotte or something lame like that I could laugh at it. There is no fun in making laughs of the Wall because it's so damn boring.

Comfortably Numb is probably my favorite PF track right now. What a great song. Shame the rest of The Wall was shit.

Screwtape2 said:

Stick to one CD. I know we are going to do the exchange again so I would choose one of the CDs and save the other for the next exchange. Maybe people will be more willing to give metal a chance on the second go around.

Not many people are ever going to be willing to give metal a chance. I would never want to do it as my main submission, just a side upload for those who may be interested.

I'd try to do it as notAxver's submission, but you're such a Nazi stickler over this shit.

phillyfan26 said:

I was saying that as an exception to your rule.

Springsteen's fantastic.

And I don't think it's an exception. Springsteen studio bores the daylights out of me. At least The Wall isn't cheesy. Some stuff on Springsteen's albums is cheesy.

Axver said:

Not many people are ever going to be willing to give metal a chance. I would never want to do it as my main submission, just a side upload for those who may be interested.

I'd try to do it as notAxver's submission, but you're such a Nazi stickler over this shit.

Actually I was thinking of something that could allow you to expose people to metal. What if we had a category for an additional artist that people could submit without having to attach their name? A listen at your own risk sort of thing.

Hey Ax, I think you need to reread your posts sometimes a bit more. I mean I'm not nitpicking, it's just that you clearly made a mistake here:

Axver said:
At least The Wall isn't cheesy.

I hope next time you post, it's without an innocent error like that.

phillyfan26 said:
Like what? :eyebrow:

Like it's blatantly seventies/eighties.

I haven't listened in fucking ages, keep this in mind. But I'd swear something had cheesy keys.

I'm sure you and phanan are very soon going to coax me into digging up my CD with Springsteen albums on it.

The Sad Punk said:
Hey Ax, I think you need to reread your posts sometimes a bit more. I mean I'm not nitpicking, it's just that you clearly made a mistake here:

I hope next time you post, it's without an innocent error like that.

:lol:

Why would you say The Wall is cheesy? I think that while it is massively flawed and boring, it is not cheesy. Overblown, yes. Music sacrificed at the concept's altar, yes. But I don't hear cheese. I just hear Roger Waters stuck too far up his own arse.

I remember it being really cheesy. I mean, Young Lust is on it, right? That's cheesy. And when it's overblown, it gets a little on the mozzarella side, too.

Screwtape2 said:

Actually I was thinking of something that could allow you to expose people to metal. What if we had a category for an additional artist that people could submit without having to attach their name? A listen at your own risk sort of thing.

Hmm. Let me tell you what I'd most ideally like to do. It doesn't fit the CD Exchange, and I don't think it suits DI either, but it'd be something I'd like to do sometime and may be a worthwhile exercise. I'd like to do a playlist to ease people into metal. It's kind of ridiculous to throw, say, Agalloch's I Am The Wooden Doors at someone and expect them to love it straight away. But a CD that logically progresses from stuff that isn't metal into stuff that is, gradually adding various elements, might open people up to the genre.

The Sad Punk said:
I remember it being really cheesy. I mean, Young Lust is on it, right? That's cheesy. And when it's overblown, it gets a little on the mozzarella side, too.

Young Lust is on it, but I can't remember a bloody thing about it.

I love Comfortably Numb, Hey You, and Run Like Hell. The rest just blurs together in a big mass of total boredom.

Oh, wait. The Trial is cheesy. So there we go.

Axver said:
Like it's blatantly seventies/eighties.

I haven't listened in fucking ages, keep this in mind. But I'd swear something had cheesy keys.

I'm sure you and phanan are very soon going to coax me into digging up my CD with Springsteen albums on it.

Born in the USA (the album and the song) is a bit cheesy, but other than that, Springsteen's brutally earnest in his songwriting. Born to Run has no cheese at all.

Axver said:

Hmm. Let me tell you what I'd most ideally like to do. It doesn't fit the CD Exchange, and I don't think it suits DI either, but it'd be something I'd like to do sometime and may be a worthwhile exercise. I'd like to do a playlist to ease people into metal. It's kind of ridiculous to throw, say, Agalloch's I Am The Wooden Doors at someone and expect them to love it straight away. But a CD that logically progresses from stuff that isn't metal into stuff that is, gradually adding various elements, might open people up to the genre.

Why not a thread dedicated to easing people into different genres? People choose a genre at the start of the thread to ease some on into. For example you choose metal and send that metal playlist to people who leave their e-mails. They give it a listen and report their thoughts in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom