Big Ben hurt in motorbike crash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hewson said:
phanan already posted it in the NFL thread Peyton my boy.

I'll still leave this thread open, since I think this is fine as a stand-alone topic.

It's sad that he got hurt, but at the same time it's not. After Kellen Winslow and Jay Williams got badly hurt on motorcycles, you'd think he'd have the brains not to get on one. He's an even bigger moron for not wearing a helmet. His body is worth what - $8 million a year? Why be so careless?

I wonder if there is any clause in his contract that mentions getting hurt in a motorcycle accident. If he loses his salary, I'll bet he never rides one again.

I am listening to the Pittsburgh news on TV, and he is still in surgery, with head injuries and a broken jaw. This is big news from where I live is 50 miles from Pittsburgh.I know that he should of beeen wearing a helmet, but right now I am focus on his recovery.

I live in Philly, and I remember the fiasco about helmets:

There WAS a law that required helmets, but a sizeable political group of motorcyclists pushed for the ban to be lifted, and it was, somehow. It was a joke. That was about 3 years ago, and it was bound to happen that some big name person got hurt because of it.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
even terry bradshaw had made an apeal to get him to wear his helmet.
Actually the link I posted above to a Pitt news site has the Bradshaw video. He wasn't appealing with him to wear a helmet. He said, repeatedly, "park the bike!"
Said he had plenty of time to ride when he retired, and not to ride, especially after seeing what happened to "that moron in Cleveland".

The video is a year old, and TB looks like a prophet now.

i heard him on espn radio at like 8:15am that morning. He was promoting a new fantasy football site. I guess shortly after that he crashed. I won't draft him in fantasy now.

It's a real shame. I hope he recovers fully.

Interesting tidbit about the woman driving the car in the accident:

The other car was driven by a 62-year-old woman who maintains homes in both Maine and Pittsburgh, police said. They didn't immediately release her name, and no charges were filed.

Perhaps a zealot Patriots fan?

Does it make me an evil person if I say that if it had been Peyton, he would have blamed the accident on his protective convoy?

Probably.

He's home from the hospital, and will try to make training game. He told everyone that he WILL be wearing a helmet,when riding. He's one lucky guy, and a good person at heart.

randhail said:
It's sad that he got hurt, but at the same time it's not. After Kellen Winslow and Jay Williams got badly hurt on motorcycles, you'd think he'd have the brains not to get on one. He's an even bigger moron for not wearing a helmet. His body is worth what - $8 million a year? Why be so careless?

I wonder if there is any clause in his contract that mentions getting hurt in a motorcycle accident. If he loses his salary, I'll bet he never rides one again.

Here’s the thing: wearing a motorcycle helmet is a mixed bag. Studies have shown that mortality rates do not improve in motorcycle accidents where the rider is wearing a helmet. Riders with helmets DO have less and less severe head injuries (so Big Ben would have benefited from wearing a full facemasked helmet), but riders with helmets ALSO experience more and more severe neck and spinal injuries.
So, the idea that helmets should always be worn is not so cut and dry.
I wonder, if Big Ben would have been wearing a helmet and got into an accident that resulted in a severe neck injury if the media would be arguing that he should NOT have been wearing a helmet?

Back
Top Bottom