Better than U2 live...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought nothing was ever going to come close to U2's second Melbourne show last year which for me was just the most magical concert experience in my still-short concert-going life. But the Muse gig at Festival Hall this year ties with it in terms of sheer awesomeness; I wouldn't say it was better than U2 simply because they were different kinds of shows and I loved them for very different reasons. But it was the first time ever that I went and got an overpriced T-shirt that I'd never actually wear (not being a T-shirt wearer) after the show just to have some sort of reminder.

bono_man2002 said:
Which Night were you at, for the Muse Gig that is.

First one. I really regret not getting tickets for the second one, as well, :( Hopefully they won't take too long to come to Melbourne again.

I really truly madly deeply hate Festival Hall as a venue but I gotta admit I've seen some great gigs there. Like Nick Cave & Bad Seeds couple of years ago; that one got really close to being as good as it gets, :up: He's such an awesome performer.

Saracene said:

First one. I really regret not getting tickets for the second one, as well, :( Hopefully they won't take too long to come to Melbourne again.

I really truly madly deeply hate Festival Hall as a venue but I gotta admit I've seen some great gigs there. Like Nick Cave & Bad Seeds couple of years ago; that one got really close to being as good as it gets, :up: He's such an awesome performer.

The second night had a better setlist IMO....Citizen Erased, Aprocalypse Please and Sunburn, as well as Solider Poem.

Matt was hinting that they might return after the Wembley and UK tour, and be back in "Our Winter"....but Don't count it as being locked in.

Festival Hall seem to get some really good bands, Why can't they just get some Air Con!

If the Flaming Lips would have played a much longer set back in August (see them when you can, BTW. The new songs sound freaking incredible, and they have an amazing stage show), I might be tempted to say that they were VERY close, but U2 still takes it.

LemonMelon said:
If the Flaming Lips would have played a much longer set back in August (see them when you can, BTW. The new songs sound freaking incredible, and they have an amazing stage show), I might be tempted to say that they were VERY close, but U2 still takes it.

I saw them at a festival, so the set was extremely short. Had I seen a headlining show and been closer to the stage, they would have demolished U2.

The 7 or 8 songs they played were incredible

I've only seen Bruce on the Devils and Dust tour, but it was pretty darn close. For sheer energy, I actually think Ryan Adams and the Cardinals can get there. For sheer fun, Weezer actually was a more enjoyable show. U2 still is probably the most intense... but my favorite concert experience goes to Beck. The setlist was incredible, the performances were quirky but pitch-perfect, and the crowd was great.

inmyplace13 said:

I saw them at a festival, so the set was extremely short. Had I seen a headlining show and been closer to the stage, they would have demolished U2.

The 7 or 8 songs they played were incredible

I'm going to try to get tickets for the Norfolk show in April, where they're headlining. I think the venue is a whole lot smaller than any I'm used to...1,500 capacity. :huh:

Does the Blue Man Group count? I'm not talking about their stage show, but their traveling tour. Thats an amazing experience, but it doesnt compare to their stage shows...

1. Muse
2. Blue Man Group
3. U2

U2 is always the top notch for me. I've seen them a few times. Definitely a spiritual experience. Seriously.

Mute Math is giving them a run for their money - and they're still a small club band. I've never seen as much energy, and I've been to a crap ton of shows. I've seen them three times (No. 4 will be in April!) and I've seen each show with different people. I keep getting told something to the effect "Man, I looked over and your jaw was on the floor" or "you had a shocked look on your face." Then they say it was one of the best, or the best show, they've been to themselves.

I'm telling you, check out their schedule on www.myspace.com/mutemath and by tickets. $12. Go.

My work is done here.

Actually, if time went back to the early 80's ... I'd definitely say The Police. :up:
But nowadays, I don't believe that there's too many bands out there that can even "hold a candle" to U2's shows ... they're that huge. :yes:

I saw U2 twice last year (including the magical Melb II) but I still think seeing Robyn Hitchcock and the Venus 3 (with Peter Buck) was the best gig I saw in 2006. :drool:

Only MUSE come close just for the sheer power & energy of the band

Paris 04
Manchester 06
Birmingham 06

George Michael was fantastic also but in a different way - beautiful voice and wicked crowd in Dublin last year

Nothing though compares to my first U2 concert - Croke Park 85

The Tragically Hip on Canada Day. I saw them on June 30th in 2002 on Citadel Hill in Halifax (my first concert EVER), and last year on June 30th in a park in Charlottetown. :rockon:

The Stones show was wayyy up there too, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have. It was pouring on the day (and night) of the show.

Dismantled said:
U2 is number 1 for me, Pearl Jam and David Bowie are second.

I was in the fortunate position to see both Pearl Jam and U2 within a few weeks of each other in 2005. It's an interesting comparison: U2 put off an amazing show, something that was big in every way--big emotions, big effects, etc. On the negative side, it was also a bit of a fashion show, and I got the sense that some (if not, many) were there for reasons other than the music.

With PJ, both shows I saw were like performances around a large campfire; it was very intimate, yet powerful. I also got the sense everyone was there for the music.

there is only 1 band in the world who could come close to U2 and that is MUSE but no one else even touches either of them

Radiohead and the Flaming Lips came close, but U2 will always rule.

I enjoyed Midnight Oil better because I was on the front row,
whereas my U2 tickets have always been at the top of an arena or stadium and they look really small.

I guess I need to fork out more money for better tickets next time U2 rolls through.

Back
Top Bottom