Bestest Disco Group Ever Ever Ever Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote OFF a disco band you dont like

• ABBA

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Barry White

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Bay City Rollers

• Bee Gees

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Blondie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boney M

• Chic

• David Bowie

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Donna Summer

• Earth Wind & Fire

• Garry Glitter

• Jackson 5

• John Paul Young

• Leif Garrett

• Pointer Sisters

• Rod Stewart

• Roxy Music

• Sister Sledge

• Sly and the Family Stone

• T Rex

• The Sweet

• Village People

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

beli

Blue Crack Addict
This is a poll to determine if I can kill 35 minutes before Hothouse starts. :up:

Please vote for the Disco band you DONT like. ie we are voting people OFF the island.

All of the bands have been determined by me, placed in order by me, and this poll will end when I say so. Any correspondants will be shot at dawn.

Thank you

Have a blissful easter/equinox/whatever holiday :wave:

Last edited:
Nors Roxy Music actually. Some of them are Glam really. But I like them all so I put them in. I basically left out KISS and Suzi Quatro etc eg guitar bands. Anything else went in.

Except for John Denver

I think its still hidden in the very top shelf of my brothers wardrobe - where it belongs. (My Mum is short)

PS My brother is neither a business student nor a priest. Just thought I would get in first. :|

no one can deny the wonder that is children of the revolution noooooooooo you wont fool.........
/falsetto

hmm.

you forgot wham!

:|

Wham! with exclamation. like emphasis, but not really.

god i loved blondie. did you know back in 81...or was it 82? i think 82 actually, call me was the biggest selling ht of the year?
or maybe it was come on eileen by dexy's...you dont have dexy's on here!!!!

shame!!!

:ohmy:

Angela Harlem said:
Wham! with exclamation. like emphasis, but not really.
like that other great 80's song
"I love you period
don't you love me question mark
please please exclamation mark
something something tralala"

80's ruled :up:

I remember Denise by Blondie was on the radio in the showroom when my dad bought a car in 198something :hmm:

Salome said:
like that other great 80's song
"I love you period
don't you love me question mark
please please exclamation mark
something something tralala"

80's ruled :up:

That's not an 80's song! IIRC, I Love You Period by Dan Baird was from 1992 (or something like that)

*starts Googling*

YES! Found it! :D

You are correct, it's former Georgia Satellite Dan Baird, from his first post-Satellites release, "Love Songs for the Hearing Impaired." Came out in 1992.

I rule! :tongue:

:)

Marty

Since I'm at work I don't have my record collection near. Well... it's also in my head, but I don't always trust it. I know whose mind houses in it. :wink:

Anyway, I knew about Dan Baird, I (correctly) guessed 1992 and the album title and his former band (Georgia Satellites) gave me an aha-Erlebnis (or how do you call that in English?)

Oh, and I don't have this song in my collection. :p

:kiss:

I had an epiphany over night :ohmy:

And decided that if anybody wants to actually play this game I will take all the Glam rockers out after this round as per Yertles wisdom. :up:

I set this thing up pretty fast as I really wanted to see if Pete & Tina could choose a non black lounge suite. Turns out it was Heather who had no taste. Even the interior design guy said she was boring. :up:

Some of his songs are. If your computer was a little closer to mine I could lend you my head phones and you could have a listen.

Same with ABBA. Lots of their songs arent disco but theres they whole Volus Vous (sp?) period. (I cant believe I have forgotten how to spell that)

Dave, just a gentle nudge, but why dont you run your game so I dont have to invent ways to try and keep myself amused.

"voulez vous"

(means "do you want" in french so I use that line quite often :| )

I agree that both ABBA and Barry White knicked enough from disco to be part of a poll like this :up:

mmm, instead of doing a what gender are you survey pehaps we should be running a how old are you not survey. I have a sneaking suspision that most people here are to young to know most of the bands in this poll.

We are going to take out Bowie & T Rex in the next round. The others had their disco moments. Yep, forgot about KC. We can add them next round. And Hot Chocolate too.

Actually we can keep on adding and subtracting and this will never end. :macdevil:

The vast majority of those bands and artists are not disco. :tsk: I don't know how you compiled that list, but there are a lot who don't belong there. Here is my breakdown:

ABBA - pop and pop rock, one or two songs mildly considered disco
Barry White - soul
Bay City Rollers- more or less teen pop, before disco craze
Bee Gees - didn't start out disco, but sure ended up that way. Then they sucked.
Blondie -more punk and new wave, a couple disco hits
Boney M - ??
Chic - pure disco, and like disco, they suck
David Bowie - glam rock
Donna Summer - disco queen, she didn't suck
Earth Wind & Fire -soul to rock, maybe a disco song or two
Garry Glitter - glam rock
Jackson 5 - soul and pop, ceased to exist in this form long before disco
John Paul Young- who??
Leif Garrett - no way. He was teen pop, like boy bands today.
Pointer Sisters- ehh, maybe maybe not
Rod Stewart -bluesy rock and pop artist with ONE hit considered disco
Roxy Music -art rock/glam rock
Sister Sledge- pure disco (and like disco they suck!)
Sly and the Family Stone- early 70's soul and r&b, broke up before disco
T Rex - glam rock!!
The Sweet - pop/rock, washed up before disco ever broke
The Village People- disco, and like disco, they suck

You forgot Gloria Gaynor. I could make you a list of pure disco 'artists' but I have to think awhile. Most of them have so faded that I can see their faces or hear their songs but their names escape me.

Disco, in its Studio 54, Saturday Night Fever stereotypical form only existed from 1975-80, with 78-79 being the biggest years. Several of the artists listed had their careers and burned out or faded away before those years, others were not disco or not purely disco. Some artists jumped on the bandwagon, even the Stones, but that doesn't make them 'disco' any more than it makes U2 disco for doing Discotheque.

Last edited:
I had no idea who John Paul Young was

but I soon found out he was produced by Vanda/Young

of the Australian group The Easybeats

who sang one of my favourite ever songs

'Friday On My Mind'

(too bad I don't know any others by them, but 'Friday On My Mind' is one heck of a tune)

U2Kitten said:
The vast majority of those bands and artists are not disco. :tsk: I don't know how you compiled that list
that's the absolute beauty of this thread though

:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom