Best/ Worst Games of the World Cup so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ah goddamn soccer fever

i think im overdosing on the stuff

well better make full use of it, because this month has been pure heaven

anyway ive seen some good games, and some awful, awful matches

The Best Games :D
Italy V Croatia - an incredulous, incident packed game
Uraguay V Senegal - 6 goals, what more can you ask for? and so lovely to see Uraguay get their COME UPPANCE!
Spain V South Africa - Remarkably competitive and open, with lots of goals
Germany V Ireland- the true Irish spirit summoned up from the Irish that night ensured they would not lie down, there was no skill or flamboyance about the Irish, it was just an example of grit and determination
France V Senegal- the first game, its so marvellous to see the underdog, the team nobody gives a hope in hell to not only win on the field, but also on the scoreboard

HM - Paraguay V Slovenia- Paraguay have a chance to make it to the 2nd round and Paraguay lets their goalkeeper take their free kicks on goal, what is going on? :tongue:

The Worst Games :lemon:
England V Nigeria
England V Argentina - whats the big deal? you English all claim the Germans are the boringest team, well take a look at your boys
Germany V Saubi Arabia- uncompetitive, to say the least :eyebrow:
Cameroon V Saudi Arabia- what a drag that was
France V Uraguay- Uraguay were pathetic not to use their 1 man advantage for more than 75 minutes in that game, and hence deserve not to qualify for the 2nd round
China V Costa Rica- ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZZZzZZZZZZZzZZZz!!!!!!
Costa Rica V Turkey
America V Korea
Russia V Japan- 60 fouls that match, terrible to watch
Brazil V China

anyway in any event, there's plenty MORE where that came from! :wink:

Last edited:
I disagree with the USvs Korea i thought it was great. And the Italy Croatia was a shame...the ref took control of the match.

Best:
Ireland-Germany
Nigeria-Sweden
Ireland-Camaroon

Worst:
Nigeria-England
Croatia-Italy
France-Denmark For the simple fact the french sucked so much!

Best games
Brazil v Costa Rica
Brazil v Turkey
Senegal v Uruguay
Italy v Croatia
France v Uruguay

Worst games
Germany v Saudi Arabia
Nigeria v England
Costa Rica v China
Croatia v Mexico
South Africa v Slovenia

a couple that havent been mentioned-

best
Japan v Belgium
Sweden v Argentina

worst
Brazil v China
Portugal v USA (cos Portugal were so poor)

I agree with any of the french games being mentioned under worst, they looked so listless, too much sex prolly!

USA vs. Korea might not have been the highest quality game, but it was definitely an exciting game.

How can anyone say Eng v Argentina was boring!?!!

Id was one of the greatest moments in English football history. Maybe you need to be English or Argentinian to realise the significance of it all. However, seeing a team defend so wonderfully for 30 mins straight against one of the most exciting attacking teams in the world doesnt require you to be English or Argentinian, just a small amount of football knowledge and appreication for the game is required.

Best games:

England v Argentina
Italy v Mexico (though the last four mins was a farce)
Brazil v Costa Rica (just for the pure enjoyment of Ronaldo on the ball)

Worst games:

England v Nigeria
China v Costa Rica
Germany v Cameroon

bono_man said:
However, seeing a team defend so wonderfully for 30 mins straight against one of the most exciting attacking teams in the world doesnt require you to be English or Argentinian, just a small amount of football knowledge and appreication for the game is required.

Does that go for our 96 min of brilliant defense and one amazing freekick for a tie against Argentina too? :D

YAY YAY YAY for the swedish defense and working unselfish for the team!

Senegal up next! :)

2 more classics for the books

Sweden V Senegal - those senegalese bring such a wonderful approach to the game, a far contrast from what we saw against france in the opening night as well, when they played all out defence, that el-hadji diouf is a star, here's hoping he's a fixture at liverpool for many years to come

and

Spain V Ireland- its just sad that ireland were overcome in the end despite all their bravery :sad:

2 games
and all just today as well :D

My personal faves:

- England vs Argentina (I could watch that game over and over!!)
- Mexico vs Italy

Worst:
England vs Nigeria
- Anything the French were in because they didn't do well and I really liked them... :(
And oh, Croatia vs Mexico was torture, too...

Senegal - Sweden was an amaying game, so many chances for both teams, it could've gone either way really.

Ireland - Spain for the most exciting, nerve-wracking 120 minutes of football I've ever experienced.

ooh MORE MORE MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mac: :mac: :mac:

GOOD ONES

Korea V Italy- italy controlled the game for 85 mins then a 1 second slip and Korea looked like they had 12 men on the field
Sweden V Cameroon- Definitely the most attacking free flowing game of the tournament
I agree about Spain V Ireland- that one's not too good on the heart

BAD ONES
Japan V Turkey- the game turned out to be a big giant bird.

and

HOW THE HELL DOES KOREA DO SO WELL? SURELY THEY LOOKED DOOMED WHEN THEY HAD TO PLAY PORTUGAL IN THE LAST QUALIFYING GAME? OUT OF KOREA OR JAPAN I SWORE THAT JAPAN WOULD BE THE ONE WHICH WOULD DO BETTER OUT OF THE 2 CO-HOSTS

oh how about that third place playoff between turkey and korea just before the final?

plenty of goals by both teams who just decided to throw off the shackles and go out and entertain

and wasnt that a great image of the game when the turkish players picked the koreans up off the ground after they slumped thinking they let themselves down by losing the game?
where the turkish just knew they had done remarkably well from being nothing but football minnows, to just come within a whisker of the world cup final

Back
Top Bottom