best - worst books?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

antietam

The Fly
who is John Galt?
best book (so far) -- is 'Atlas Shrugged' (Ayn Rand)
worst book -- "time and again' (Nora Roberts)
best book/worst movie-- 'Battle Field Earth' (L. Ron Hubbard)
worst book/best movie--'Trainspotting' (Irvine Welsh, i think)( with the meandering point of view and the split personality, characters refering to themselves as 'us' - otherwise it would have been okay?)

I need a new book to read, any suggestions? preferably one that is in the best book category, not the worst.

I like the Classics like Little Women, Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights etc. The best book I have read lately was Charles Mingus' Beneath the Underdog

1. The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien
2. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
3. His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman
4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling
6. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
7. Winnie the Pooh, AA Milne
8. Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell
9. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, CS Lewis
10. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bront?
11. Catch-22, Joseph Heller
12. Wuthering Heights, Emily Bront?
13. Birdsong, Sebastian Faulks
14. Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier
15. The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger
16. The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame
17. Great Expectations, Charles Dickens
18. Little Women, Louisa May Alcott
19. Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Louis de Bernieres
20. War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy
21. Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell

That is a list of the top 21 books from a Tv series I watched. I have read them all except numbers 13, 14 and 21.

The top 100 can be found here if that helps you.

winnie the pooh? I have read about half of those, what is 'hitchhickers guide to the universe about? That sounds good. I've read all the Harry Potter book's when is the next coming out?

Oh I havent read War and Peace either.

I read Winnie the Pooh when I was a child I loved it. Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy is a hilarious book! Earth is about to be demolished and Arthur Dent is picked up by his friend Ford who saves him and they travel through the galaxy, its also about a quest of finding the meaning of life amongst other things, oh dear I am very bad at describing books and it's been a while since I read it.

Aralitia said:

That is a list of the top 21 books from a Tv series I watched. I have read them all except numbers 13, 14 and 21.

I was going to say, your list of favourite books looks exactly like the Big Read list! :eek::laugh: I've read all of them except Birdsong, Captain Corelli's Mandolin, and Catch-22.

Some of my favourites are:

:heart: His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman :heart:
The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
The Abhorsen books by Garth Nix
If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jim McGregor
U2 At End of the World by Bill Flanagan
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas
The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I liked The Fountainhead, Anthem, and We the Living by Ayn Rand, but I completely disagree with her philosophy and think she was insane. I didn't like Atlas Shrugged or The Virtue of Selfishness as much. :shrug:

If ya need a good laugh, there's always the Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging series :D

:shifty:

I also really enjoyed the Harry Potter series, and I loved Anthem by Ayn Rand. I've heard from numerous people that Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet is amazing, but I have yet to read it.

meegannie said:

I was going to say, your list of favourite books looks exactly like the Big Read list! :eek::laugh: I've read all of them except Birdsong, Captain Corelli's Mandolin, and Catch-22.

Some of my favourites are:

:heart: His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman :heart:

The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I loved the Big Read series!

I also loved the Harry Potter books and The Little Prince but I read it in French, I don't have the english version.

I read the Little Prince in French the first time ten years ago, and then my fiance gave me the English version for my birthday. There's a thread here somewhere on the Big Read, but I can't search for it anymore since I'm not premium. :slant:

Best
Orbitsville triology by Eric Brown
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K Le Quinn

Worst - well not really worst, just the only 2 books I have failed to finish.

Perestroika by Gorbachev (I was trying to read it at the time)
War and Peace, just couldnt get into it at all.

Speaking of books, does anyone know the name or author of the book where Julius Caesar and Jesus Christ are compared (both JCs, Brutus = Judas, etc). I heard an interview on the radio with the male author years ago and prompty forgot the books details and have never been able to track it down. I think its an independant book not one of the big publishers. Any assistance, gratefully received.

(Oops, ignore that, I found it, duh!)

Last edited:
My all time favorite is El Plan Infinito (The Infinite Plan ? I'm not sure if that's how they translated the title, but it's also available in English... I think most of her books are) by Isabel Allende. I've read most of her books and they are all excellent.. several of them focus on different generations of the same family.

All the Harry Potter books so far.

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
The Perfume - Patrick Suskind
The Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka
Coraz?n - Edmundo De Amicis
Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
Anne of Green Gables - Lucy Maud Montgomery
A Stranger Beside Me - Ann Rule (I'm not a fan of these type of books, but this woman was a journalist... she met Ted Bundy, the serial killer, years before he was even suspect of any of the murders he committed, they worked together for a suicide hot line. I think it's the most surreal story I've ever read and it all actually happened.)
The Lover - Marguerite Duras
Ethan Frome & The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

ThatGuy said:

Unabridged. :up:

It took me AGES to find a proper unabridged paperback copy a few years ago. I can't read the abridged version of any book. Though at the moment I wish they made abridged versions of every book written on the philosophy/theory of history. :crack:

Over the past few years, there's been a lot of copies of unabridged version of Monte Christo poppin in the bookstore shelves... Modern Library, Everyman, Oxford Classics

Best:

The lord of The Rings - J. R.R Tolkien
Faeries (an illustration book) - Allan Lee
Angela's Ashes- Frank McCourt
One hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez...
From The Earth To the Moon - Jules Verne
the metamorphosis- Kafka...

Last edited:
U2zoogirl said:
Best:

The lord of The Rings - J. R.R Tolkien
Faeries (an illustration book) - Allan Lee
Angela's Ashes- Frank McCourt
One hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez...
From The Earth To the Moon - Jules Verne
the metamorphosis- Kafka...

I really loved Angela's Ashes and the sequel to it 'Tis.

Aralitia.

My favorite book is Umberto Eco's "Name of the Rose". It's heavy going but really interesting. The movie of the same name is my all-time favorite movie.

Back
Top Bottom